Blood: The Last Vampire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Blood: The Last Vampire Reviews

½ June 29, 2009
Awesome carnage and fight scenes have no idea how close to the anime it is at all.
½ September 5, 2010
This was a really good attempt at a very cool story. The fight scenes were really quite fun to watch. The girl that played Saya did a bang-up job. The computer generated scenes could have been better, and the scenes with the flying demoms made me kind of snicker. I have to say, the entire time that I was watching this movie I kept thinking to myself that if a kick-butt producer/director got a hold of this story it could be awesome. Let's hope that happens someday. But, until then, this attempt was not too shabby
garyX
½ February 23, 2008
A warrior vampire in 1970s Japan finally tracks down the demon who murdered her father she has been seeking for hundreds of years. Obviously trying very hard to trade on the popularity of Crouching Tiger and its ilk, Blood: The Last Vampire actually feels far more like Blade or Underworld than the nouveau martial arts films of Ang Lee or his contemporaries. In fact it has more than a little of the Buffy the Vampire Slayers about it, as a high school girl dons a school uniform and sets about chopping up vampire-like monsters in some gaudily shot, over-directed action scenes mixed with some rather ham fisted melodrama. Every part of the film is very derivative, and the plot doesn't really hang together; the ending in particular is very unsatisfying. It does have a couple of decent action sequences, but it's a bit too gimmicky, a bit too messy and a bit too cheap looking to stand out in a hugely overpopulated market place.
½ June 13, 2010
I liked the fight scenes. Trying to figure out who was the bad guys and who was the good guys was quite difficult. Maybe if I watch it three times.
May 2, 2009
A good story for a film, based on the Anime film....from what I saw almost scene for scene the same? Sadly this is ruined by really dodgy CGI for the blood and gore. Some of the creature design is not so good either, and you'd barely known it had a vampire in it. It has a couple of great sword fights but not enough to save the film.
deano
November 29, 2007
It contains good martial arts and cool storytelling, and it turns the vampire genre on its ear. This film based on the popular anime movie is good regardless of bad CGI in the fighting scenes when Saya, a heroine - half-human and half-vampire vampire hunter - sort of a female version of Blade, swings her sword and a demon gets cut in half and super CGI ichor comes out.
July 26, 2009
Fantastic! Almost just like the Anime/Manga version... Very much like Blade, Bloodrayne and Underworld.
Beefy
July 11, 2009
A decent but unexciting live action reworking of the original animated film (far superior) and subsequent anime series. For those familiar with the material, it's a frustrating experience. There clearly wasn't enough budget to keep the stylistic visuals consistent throughout, and the lead actress is woefully miscast. Fans of the original, like myself, may be willing to overlook some of that to see what a live action film of the material looks like.

People unfamiliar with the material already will likely turn it off before the first act is done.
thefog1331
October 24, 2009
Great cinematography, dazzling choreography and absolutely nothing else. An embarrassing live action version of another Japanese anime plagued by cringe-worthy dialogue, acting and CG.
Especially the CG.
½ July 30, 2009
This is some flashy stylish high octane shit hehe a nice combination of Eastern ideas and Western help provides us with this Manga story brought to the big screen in live action.
To be honest there isn't really anything here you haven't seen before, it has a kind of 'Blade' feel to it during the first half of the film with some very very nice sword fights resulting in lots of demon vampire deaths and plenty of the red stuff flying about :) the action is smooth and cool with the heroine vampire of the film in a cliched Japanese school girl outfit much like many old Capcom 2D beat em up characters from back in the day hehe and harking to Kill Bill atad too.

As said the first half is pretty sweet despite some VERY shitty cgi demon action going on. It all tends to fall apart in the second half really, the plot gets alittle confusing and it becomes like so many Eastern action flicks with lots of sword fighting martial arts in slow mo with plenty of high wire flying about (think 'Crouching Tiger' etc.. )

From 'Blade' with a cute half vampire half human dressed as a school girl to the usual fable, fantasy, Eastern flying about the place with swords nonsense, shame. And I gotta say..the cgi does ruin the film too, its baaaaad.
July 25, 2009
It's more tolerable than the majority of big budget films that it foolishly went up against. However, Blood is still a film with huge problems. The main problem is the CGI. Good CGI does NOT make a good film, but bad CGI can pretty much destroy one. It is unbelievably distracting, every time blood squirts out it looks all globby and always comes out in little liquid balls. It never looks real and there is a lot of it, too much to ignore. A chase scene with a monster has no credibility when it feels like a live action movie suddenly turns computerised. Gianna is a rather good lead. She tones down her character, making her seem like a troubled vessel in a complicated world. The ending is hardly a climax, it makes you forget why they are fighting and is just so plain that it feels like something is missing. Overall here is a film that didn't play to it;s budget, it tried to do things that a $200 million movie would do and failed miserably. Luckily it's short length is a blessing.
kpn666
July 22, 2009
The anime was much better.

Interesting fight scenes, though nothing special, except for the forest scene. Quite messy and a bit all over the place, the visuals were dodgy, like plasticine figures last seen in movies from the lae 90's.

Anyways - I dont get how my lady friend got me to watch this, its a chick flick for chicks who are fans of horror and blood. But yeah.... moving on.
skactopus
April 15, 2009
Chris Nahon has taken a great anime and created a live action adaptation that just plain sucks.Blood: The Last Vampire is based off of the brief 45 minute anime by the same name. So, how does it stretch out to 90 minutes? The story from the anime is basically seen in the first half, before the film drags on for a second half.The pacing is quite quick, however this causes characters to lack depth and it also creates plot holes. As for the story itself, it is straightforward and easy to follow, but it isn't anything extraordinary.The action is a plenty and the choreography looks like it is there. I say looks because the quick editing, mediocre camera angles, and constant Zach Snyder-ish slow motion scenes make the fights less entertaining to watch, and that much more difficult to pick up on the choreography. The CG is also weak. This is forgivable in other pictures, but not so much here.Gianna Jun and Koyuki give decent performances, but everyone else is completely forgettable. There is nothing more to say about the acting.It is a true shame that this film lacks in nearly every department. Stick with the anime.
October 30, 2012
Blood: The Last Vampire is a daring and bold horror film that's packed with action. Adapted from an anime film, the story follows a half-vampire named Saya who seeks to avenge her father by killing the vampire that slayed him. The storytelling is fairly solid (except for the last act) and it has an interesting vampire lore. Additionally, the fight choreography is particularly good, and has a uniqueness to it. However, the CGI is rather weak and doesn't quite pull off the surrealism that it appears to be going for. Visually captivating and stylistic, Blood: The Last Vampire is an impressive film that delivers exciting action and a compelling story.
½ March 18, 2012
Sat and watched this incredible story of a young demon hunter woman Saya (Gianna Jun) bent of vengeance...for the murder of her father, who was murdered by the most vile leader of the demons Onigen (Koyuki). Training all of her life for this one moment, it wasn't until her witnessing the homicidal end of her caregiver KAto (Yasuaki Kurata) was when she realized that the goal of disposing of this demon leader has now become..."her duty" . As she get assistance from the members of "The Council" which is a secret society bent on eradicating society of this vermin of darkness they give her an assignment. To be a student at a naval base, Saya acquires the friendship of a General's rebellious daughter Alice McKee (Alice Miller) who also discovers the strange happenings around her home as well as her school....As the two of them join forces due to the uncommon circumstances...the two of them discover that they have alot in common as they try to work together....to get rid of theearth of these vermin, they find that they Saya discovers a secret that haunts and could possibly jeopardize her accomplishing her mission...Please see this horror kung fu gore...please see this!!
½ July 10, 2009
FANTASTIC anime/manga comic. Horrid, horrid film interpretation. Just behind Micheal Bay's Transformers, and Sommer's GI JOE, this is quite possibly the worst on screen translation. Ever.
xxdebxx
October 9, 2009
I'm a martial arts film lover but I was disappointed with this one...the plot made little sense. The movie started out quite promisingly but it was terribly executed. No depth, no emotions, just pure blood and gore as the lead character Saya (Jeon Ji-Hyun or Gianna Jun )decapitates, slices and chops her way through countless demons. Saya is a centuries old vampire and works for a shadowy American agency hunting demons that stalk mankind. The final fight scene was disappointing. From the people who did Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon-I expected a lot more.
April 6, 2015
Won't you just look at the CGI? Blood: The Last Vampire is a silly live action adaptation of the anime film of the same name. A half blooded vampire hunts other vampires in Japan, she was sent to a military base to help get rid off the vampires causing trouble. She formed friendship with another girl and with her help they must defeat the leader of all vampires.

It's utterly terrible. I don't even want to write anything for it.
½ June 17, 2009
OK movie. I'd seen the manga version which this movie was loosely based on, and quite liked it, so I was looking forward to this. However, the movie is a bit of a mess. It starts off well enough, with the first 30 minutes making total sense, but from thereafter the plot become total nonsense. The CGI was also very dodgy, with many of the scenes looking cheap, and I recognised a few British actors putting on accents, which also really annoyed me. On a plus side Blood: The Last Vampire does have a lot of action, and the camera work at times was impressive, but had the movie stuck to the original story it would have been a lot better.
June 18, 2009
Remember when Van Sant copied Psycho and the world shrugged then ignored it? Similiar story. This copies the manga exactly and in doing so forgets to correct all the flaws, chucks in some crappy CGI, melodrama, and direction that would look shoddy in a JLS video.
Should you happen to find yourself intrigued by either version, ignore them both and rent Blade instead. You'll thank me.