The Kids Are All Right - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Kids Are All Right Reviews

July 30, 2016
Great film. Very well done.
July 23, 2016
Heartfelt and great acting. :)
May 31, 2016
2010 certainly wasn't short of great films: The King's Speech, 127 Hours, The Social Network, Black Swan. As I recently discovered, The Kids Are All Right more than belongs on this list. The story of a family thrown into turmoil and inner conflict is nothing especially new, but it's done with such warmth, realism and humanity that it never fails to entertain. The central characters are a homosexual couple, each one with a biological child, living what appears to be a relatively normal life. Rather than saying they have to deal with issues because they're a non-conventional family, it shows that they are a non-conventional who deals with issues. Mark Ruffalo, undoubtedly one of this generation's finest and most charming actors, brings to life a free-spirited individual who tries to accept new responsibilities, but is unable to change his own carefree, laid back nature. All of the cast are fantastic, and none more so than Annette Benning. I believed her character within minutes of her being on screen, and every glare, sideways word and tear she delivers feels honest and heartfelt. She, and everyone else on screen, deserves all the praise they received. A magnificent cast, snappy dialogue and a real feeling of purpose, meaning and relevance, I loved it from start to finish.
May 23, 2016
Although it's occasionally monotonous, great performances, intelligent writing, and heartfelt drama make this a poignant and refreshing picture.
April 19, 2016
The Kids Are All Right is a touching change of pace from the average hollywood movie. A lesbian couple played brilliantly by Annette Bening and Julianne Moore use the same sperm donor to father two kids themselves. The kids independently seek out their father, played by Mark Ruffalo and a mix of emotions take you through the rest of the movie. Predictable in parts, yet never dull.

It was really important to have a man and a woman write this. Unlike some movies where you get a one gender perspective the female and male characters are balanced here. It brings out the authenticity of the actors and makes them people who are very real.
March 14, 2016
I only heard about this movie by the many Academy Awards that it got. So I kind of came in with an open mind and watched it. While The Kids Are All Right is a great movie, it seems to be a tad overrated to me. I'll give it props to the movie for putting it to the big screens as it's very rare for a lesbian film, and is a problem for it as homosexuality is still a problem to some people. The writing by Lisa Cholodenko and Steven Blumberg is really good and does the same-sex parent relationship very well. The acting is great, and the characters are very likable. It does go through family issues very well, and is very realistic too. The film is interesting, but for some reason I wished it was more interesting. It had some good humor which made the film a bit more interesting, but wasn't really much of it. As is, I can kind of see why The Kids Are All Right got the awards and I still enjoyed it for what it is.
½ March 10, 2016
"The Kids Are All Right" is a well rounded comedy-drama combining humor with understandable, realistic characters.
January 26, 2016
The Kids Are All Right make a nice change from all the awful Hollywood comedies about kids searching and finding their sperm donor fathers. This is probably a more realistic version of what could happen and certainly a more entertaining one that raises some interesting questions. All the performances were good but it is Annette Bening who really steals the show, this is by far her best role yet.
January 25, 2016
so i started watching this hoping it would be mostly comedy but was surprised to find an insight into relationships, couples with problems, father-child bonding and some more heart warming surprises. good movie
½ January 20, 2016
A nice film with awesome performances and a great story.
January 16, 2016
Bittingly honest and unfailingly heartfelt; The Kids Are All Right is a heartwarming and touching film, boosting an insightful narrative, an excellent well-rounded cast an an effortless mix of humor and humane genuineness.
December 17, 2015
I give it 5 stars mainly because the script was incredible and it really is a great film
December 15, 2015
You would think movie with such a clear intent of legitimizing a lesbian relationship wouldn't do everything possible to demean it? Wtf
½ December 3, 2015
I don't know why this film is labeled a comedy since it has nothing to laugh about. In fact, it is a pathetic little drama that wants to make you feel liberal accepting a family of lesbians, but the characters are poorly developed, the conflicts are artificial and clichéd, and the story lacks dramatic drive.
November 16, 2015
I personally hated Annette Bening's character, and the conclusion of Mark Ruffalo's character's fate was not satisfying. But, this film was memorable, funny, and well-acted. This is no movie of the year, but I was pleased as an audience when I was watching this.
November 5, 2015
A very well written and a very well acted drama that I had to watch for a college class.
½ November 1, 2015
An open-minding movie about a reality not so told that busts some myths as well as bringing you closer to the argument.
The acting is good, with a remarcable performance from Ruffalo.
½ October 27, 2015
Smart, genuine, and often heartbreaking, The Kids Are All Right is a heartwarming dramedy about family and marriage anchored by excellent performances. It sticks with you.
October 7, 2015
A lot more energetic and light-hearted than its marketing and reputation would indicate. The Oscar nominations alone made me think this would be some serious-issues awards-bait slog when it's actually quite fun when it wants to be, and also dramatically compelling as well. That one aspect that people complain about that I thought would be horrible was actually set up in advance in a way that it made sense for the characters in context. So, I ended up enjoying myself quite a bit.