Brazil - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brazil Reviews

½ December 14, 2017
A futuristic, nightmarish comedy full of satire on issues of modern impersonal society, with influences from Orwell's "1984". A surreal view on totalitarianism, bureaucracy, technological progress and human narcissism.
December 1, 2017
wonderful.. and terrible
November 6, 2017
I found this to be a pretty good film. I liked the world in the film as it was darkly humorous in many ways, such as how, after terrorist bombings, the public would go back to whatever they were doing almost instantly as if nothing had just happened. There were also great comedic set pieces such as how Sam and another character whose name I forget had to share one desk. It was funny to see them constantly pull it to their side and disrupt the other one. On top of this, I liked the absurdity as it seemed like even the most bizarre things could take place in the film. Of course, there are parts to the film which don't make sense, but I think that's intentional to show how disconcerting the city in the film is. There aren't many films like this around. As it stands now, my rating still sits at an 8/10, but I'm up for revisiting it again.
November 3, 2017
lauren spune ca este filmul ei preferat
October 29, 2017
Moral of the story: Don't kill bugs
October 10, 2017
In the pantheon of science fiction lies this landmark of cinema that drives home the twisted visuals blended with an increasingly intense plot. The iconic images and expansive spectacle of it all leaves almost no room to the imagination, simply because it's done so well in capturing it all.
October 2, 2017
Amazing, beautiful, hilarious, extremely interesting, political, smart.
September 23, 2017
This is one of my favorite movies of all time. In my opinion, this is Terry Gilliam's best film. The cinematography is beautiful. Great cast and wonderful story.
½ September 16, 2017
Any competent director/editor could fart out the first half of the movie in 15 minutes and not lose anything of substance. A boring slogging mess.
½ September 4, 2017
Brazil is a 1985 Sci-Fi Comedy about a man in a retro-future dystopian world that functions like an office. The world relies on forms to keep society standing. I may even say that this film could easily be one of my favorite comedies.
This is from the writer and director of the Monty Python films, Terry Gilliam, so you can expect some clever witty British Comedy. There are so many small jokes in the background that it takes a couple watches to see them all. Every joke always got a laugh or a chuckle out of me, but the film made sure the comedy didn't overshadow the surreal drama in the last act. The only problem I had in the entire film has to be the romance. I'm fine with a love interest, but they rushed it out before they can have proper chemistry.
Most of dystopian worlds in 80's films were just Blade Runner copy cats, but Brazil stood out because of its futuristic 50's style designs. I'm kinda surprised that the film only had a $15 million budget since a lot if details went into the production.
Brazil is an amazing film that is surprising overlooked.
9.5/10
½ September 2, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Un despliegue visual, y una innovadora técnica cinematográfica convierten a Brazil en una obra maestra. Con un guión inteligente y toque cómico aseguran el entretenimiento a pesar de que cabe la posibilidad de que no entiendas una m*erda al final.
½ August 18, 2017
The visuals are spectacular and the humor charcoal black, but the story and characters are muddled at best.
July 21, 2017
Quirky and visionary, but the darkness that imbues through the cracks is what sets it apart.
July 9, 2017
One of my all time favourite movies. Terry Gilliam at his best.
July 7, 2017
It's official. Terry Gilliam is a genius and "Brazil" is a directorial masterwork. The art direction is amazing, each and every shot is priceless, there's just so many things going on, so many beautiful little details and easter eggs to feast your eyes, each frame is unique in its conception and execution. The cast is excellent, the characters stand out, the story is very intriguing and, even if the symbolism is pretty clear, the tone is never preachy, forced or blatant. A world of its own.
June 20, 2017
A superb example of the power of science fiction to anticipate future
trends by extrapolating it from present reality.
½ May 29, 2017
Film pokes fun at the processes and rules that formulate bureaucratic red tape through the job of an ordinary office worker for a government organization. Critics loved this one but it is not exactly my cup of tea. Docked a half star for labouring at over two hours.
May 8, 2017
The world of Brazil is, by far, one of my favorite dystopian settings- and the movie Brazil is, by far, one of my favorite dystopian sci-fi movies.

In a mainstream society where movies and writings of dystopia and post-apocalyptia are often defined by attractive young teenagers in worlds of sleek, structured futurism around poor, unruly slum districts, it is refreshing to find a setting that homages the worlds envisioned by old masters the likes of Orwell, Rand, Lang, and Huxley. Though its world might seem dated in terms of today's society, Brazil combines the technology, social issues, and materialism of the 1980s with the styles, mannerisms, music, Noire, and Art-Deco designs of the 1940s- creating a distinct setting of dark urbanity, rampant consumerism, and rigid bureaucracy.

The plotline is thoroughly enjoyable, revolving around a lowly, overclocked government bureaucrat and his quest to acquire the damsel he frequently elopes with in his dreams- whom, in reality, turns out to be a hardened truck driver accused of having ties to an underground terrorist organization. There wasn't a character that I didn't like in this movie, and the dark comedy combined with Monty-Python-esque influences help make for an interesting story that perceives a world of apathy and clueless, all-consuming bureaucratic control.

Overall- good setting, good characters, good plot, good production, good soundtrack, excellent movie.
½ May 5, 2017
Meaningless nonsense. Blunt, childish satire; meandering, unfocused plot; juvenile, inappropriate humour; incredibly ugly to look at. I've realised I just don't like Gilliam's style.

May 5 2017: Definitely liked it a little better the second time around, especially in HD on a good screen. The setup is fun, with Gilliam clearly having a blast building this world, and he manages some great shots in spite of his over-reliance on blurry-edged extreme-wides, but it goes badly off the rails in the second half (up until the pretty good ending). Everything involving Kim Greist is painful, really painful, especially when it goes full-blown romance. Honestly the interesting stuff seems to be happening mostly off-screen: Harry Tuttle shows up and I'm like, "Ooh, this is suddenly fun!" And then he leaves five minutes later and I'm wishing I could watch a movie about that guy instead.
March 26, 2017
A very odd but very good film that I wouldn't exactly describe as dystopian more than a pretty accurate prediction for what is going to happen. The very beginning where the dictator was spewing rhetoric about the other side being pissed off that their people didn't win sounded eerily similar to a certain cheeto.