Brazil - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Brazil Reviews

July 21, 2017
Quirky and visionary, but the darkness that imbues through the cracks is what sets it apart.
July 9, 2017
One of my all time favourite movies. Terry Gilliam at his best.
July 7, 2017
It's official. Terry Gilliam is a genius and "Brazil" is a directorial masterwork. The art direction is amazing, each and every shot is priceless, there's just so many things going on, so many beautiful little details and easter eggs to feast your eyes, each frame is unique in its conception and execution. The cast is excellent, the characters stand out, the story is very intriguing and, even if the symbolism is pretty clear, the tone is never preachy, forced or blatant. A world of its own.
June 20, 2017
A superb example of the power of science fiction to anticipate future
trends by extrapolating it from present reality.
½ May 29, 2017
Film pokes fun at the processes and rules that formulate bureaucratic red tape through the job of an ordinary office worker for a government organization. Critics loved this one but it is not exactly my cup of tea. Docked a half star for labouring at over two hours.
May 8, 2017
The world of Brazil is, by far, one of my favorite dystopian settings- and the movie Brazil is, by far, one of my favorite dystopian sci-fi movies.

In a mainstream society where movies and writings of dystopia and post-apocalyptia are often defined by attractive young teenagers in worlds of sleek, structured futurism around poor, unruly slum districts, it is refreshing to find a setting that homages the worlds envisioned by old masters the likes of Orwell, Rand, Lang, and Huxley. Though its world might seem dated in terms of today's society, Brazil combines the technology, social issues, and materialism of the 1980s with the styles, mannerisms, music, Noire, and Art-Deco designs of the 1940s- creating a distinct setting of dark urbanity, rampant consumerism, and rigid bureaucracy.

The plotline is thoroughly enjoyable, revolving around a lowly, overclocked government bureaucrat and his quest to acquire the damsel he frequently elopes with in his dreams- whom, in reality, turns out to be a hardened truck driver accused of having ties to an underground terrorist organization. There wasn't a character that I didn't like in this movie, and the dark comedy combined with Monty-Python-esque influences help make for an interesting story that perceives a world of apathy and clueless, all-consuming bureaucratic control.

Overall- good setting, good characters, good plot, good production, good soundtrack, excellent movie.
½ May 5, 2017
Meaningless nonsense. Blunt, childish satire; meandering, unfocused plot; juvenile, inappropriate humour; incredibly ugly to look at. I've realised I just don't like Gilliam's style.

May 5 2017: Definitely liked it a little better the second time around, especially in HD on a good screen. The setup is fun, with Gilliam clearly having a blast building this world, and he manages some great shots in spite of his over-reliance on blurry-edged extreme-wides, but it goes badly off the rails in the second half (up until the pretty good ending). Everything involving Kim Greist is painful, really painful, especially when it goes full-blown romance. Honestly the interesting stuff seems to be happening mostly off-screen: Harry Tuttle shows up and I'm like, "Ooh, this is suddenly fun!" And then he leaves five minutes later and I'm wishing I could watch a movie about that guy instead.
March 26, 2017
A very odd but very good film that I wouldn't exactly describe as dystopian more than a pretty accurate prediction for what is going to happen. The very beginning where the dictator was spewing rhetoric about the other side being pissed off that their people didn't win sounded eerily similar to a certain cheeto.
March 25, 2017
Brazil is a combination of Orwellian, Kafkaesque, and Cyberpunk themes/aesthetics that creates a surreal experience, fudging the lines between film and dream, which is both bizarre and delightful. I would recommend it, just be sure to fill out you 27B/6 and sign your receipt.
March 20, 2017
'1984 1/2'. Literally, a fly in the system starts the ball rolling on this mad tale of fantasy heroism set in a 'high tech low tech' world from the depths of Gilliam's imagination. Featuring a brilliant central performance from Jonathan Pryce as the timid dreamer, the film also boasts memorable cameo's from Robert De Niro, Bob Hoskins and Michael Palin in a role far more evil than Darth Vadar could ever hope to be. Fantasy horror with a political agenda and a hope shattering ending.
March 11, 2017
Brazil est un de ces films unique et très imaginatif des années 80. Très audacieux et remplis d'excellents acteurs , un film définitivement à voir pour les amateurs de science-fiction et fantastique
March 6, 2017
Great movie showing the efficiency of a government .
February 15, 2017
The best film by Terry Gilliam is this dystopian black comedy. A film that works on so many levels and uses so many elements. I am short of words to express how much I love it.
December 13, 2016
This complex dystopian flick is just brilliant, the imagery and symbolism are incredible, the condensate critics are just awesome, (kafkaian and destructive) and some amazing directing (Tuttle disappearing in paper work, plastic stretching operation, the angel dream and the pop song turned into a epic symphony) just puts the film in another level. A must see definitely.
½ December 11, 2016
Terry Gilliam's best film came in the form of "Brazil". A strange dystopian fantasy adventure film that satirizes bureaucracy. Robert DeNiro is great as Harry Tuttle, and Jonathan Pryce is a great everyday schlub who jumps into an adventure in the dystopian future he lives in. Terry Gilliam really does have one of the greatest visual minds in film and animation...and this great dystopian film is one of the best films of the 1980s, in my opinion. It does what all films should do, make you think and use an imagination.
November 19, 2016
A movie that feels like it sorta knew where the future was headed in some odd way(government watching people's every move, terrorist attacks, innocent people being rounded up, face lifts), and this was made in 1985. Scary. Throw in some trippy dreams, a Casablanca type love story, and Robert De Niro for some random reason, and this is what you get. Also, this has nothing to do with the country of Brazil.. just the main character loving the song Aquarela do Brasil. This is a weird one, but fascinating.
½ October 24, 2016
A bit confusing at times, but overall great film
October 7, 2016
Brazil tickles the mind, portraying the entire film from the perspective of Jonathan Pryce's Sam Lowry. A dystopian view of this film can make one ask oneself whether Jill, the main female lead, ever even exists, or is a symbol of Lowry's lament for the bureaucratic autocracy he finds himself in.
½ September 6, 2016
Channeling the abundant satire of his Monty Python glory days, Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" is like something from the mind of George Orwell, but much, much funnier.
September 3, 2016
Brilliant. My favorite Gilliam, except for maybe Time Bandits.