Casino Royale - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Casino Royale Reviews

½ August 30, 2016
Casino Royale is one of the more famous cases of a film suffering from production problem after production problem: by the time the budget ballooned beyond reasonable amounts and the script underwent multiple rewrites, the film was released as a product of five credited directors (a sixth went uncredited) and three writers.

All of this is so painfully obvious in the final cut of the film. To be blunt, it's a terribly crafted film. Despite being a huge tonal shift from the rest of the Bond films, the film starts out well enough: the plot is a reasonable kind of absurd, and the plot of a retired James Bond being forced out of retirement to fight SMERSH (no SPECTRE here) is admittedly a cool premise for a Bond film. However, as the film progresses, it slowly loses all cohesion as characters are introduced and thrown out of the narrative with no explanation and plot points become more interested in being absurd than logical. At a point, everything becomes so disconnected, and the plot literally becomes nearly impossible to follow. At this same point, all the clever satire the film had established in the first act, largely dealing with the themes of sex and womanizing in the franchise, is thrown out in favor of joke after joke that never land. Running over two hours, it certainly outstays its welcome, and the ending becomes a breath of fresh air: not for the way it actually concludes, but the mere fact that such a nightmarish production has finally ended.
½ August 2, 2016
A 007 spoof with Peter Sellers, Ursula Andress. Orson Welles, and Woody Allen sounds like a good idea, right? Well, it's an absolute mess. There were several Bond parody films made around this time period (Carry On Spying, In Like Flint, etc) which are better.
½ July 28, 2016
When we hear the word spoof film we all know it's going to be pretty bad but there's bad then there's this monstrosity, The film starts slow bringing James Bond out of retirement and then another hour recruiting agents with some unfunny humour thrown in doesn't help, We could deal with that then it felt like the directors couldn't decide how the film could end so they just went mad and it was so stupid I was counting down the seconds to turn it off, And then Woody Allen is cast as the mastermind, I felt like hanging myself I cant stand the bloke and when he's in a terrible film (99.9% of his films) It makes me want to give up on films, If you want a James Bond spoof stick to Austin Powers at least that's funny, This has to be the worst unfunny spoof film ever made and there are some pretty awfull ones out there too.
½ July 21, 2016
Casino Royale is like all the Ensemble Super Star cast movies in the 60s, but like those movies, they don't age well and feel silly
June 21, 2016
Sorti la même année qu'On ne vit que deux fois, Casino Royale, parodie quelque peu boursouflée de l'univers de James Bond, est un portrait de son époque. Entre folie des grandeurs (6 réalisateurs dont John Huston, Billy Wilder et Woody Allen entre autres au scénario, pléthore de stars dans de tous petits rôles) et simple comédie parodique très 60s, Casino Royale ne fait parfois aucun sens et dure bien trop longtemps. Mais Casino Royale est aussi fascinant dans son échec, avec des séquences improbables impliquant Woody Allen, Jean-Paul Belmondo, David Niven ou encore un Peter Sellers qui est probablement le seul à jouer James Bond sobrement (il y est excellent), un score exceptionnel de Burt Bacharach et une absence de honte particulièrement remarquable. On ne se refuse rien dans Casino Royale, quitte à partir dans le décor. C'est ce qui en fait un film indispensable, aussi drôle qu'étrange.
May 14, 2016
i didn't care much about this parody of 007 casino royale
½ April 23, 2016
The James Bond movies made after this one do not match up to it. 2006 version with Daniel Crag is a great film. And this is just a badly written and badly edited peace of pooh. This is a satire and it is not funny. It is just really stupid.
February 22, 2016
I'm not even sure if this movie is serious about itself. It's dissapointing to see how you can turn a great story into a bad script for a movie, and not even get the casting right.
February 18, 2016
The first time I tried watching this, I had to turn it off after the duck hunt. What horrible dreck until that point. This time around, there were a lot more parts that weren't so terrible. The Connery spoof, the endless parade of stunningly gorgeous women, Orson Welles, some truly weird moments, and Basil Exposition. The Peter Sellers stuff was quite good which is why he's got top billing. Any scene, however, with David Niven was a chore to watch.
February 11, 2016
There's a lot I don't understand about this film. I don't understand the decision to do it as a comedy. I don't understand how anyone could think having 5 different directors would work. Mainly I don't understand how anyone could think that what they were making was funny. It's fairly astonishing to see this much talent utterly wasted.

Well, the Burt Bacharach music is nice.
December 15, 2015
Some amusing dialogue. Pretty high tech I guess at the time when the movie was made. There was a Sir James Bond played by David Niven and a James Bond in disguise played by Peter Sellers.
November 16, 2015
After being used to the standard Bond formula, I find the anarchy and chaos of this unofficial Bond film to be some kind of relief. It will never be an award-winning masterpiece, but the effort goes so far into the land of stupidity, it's funny. Though, I have to admit the plot idea of 7 James Bonds on a mission is quite brilliant.
November 6, 2015
I gave 1967's Casino Royale one star, only because someone succeeded in making this turkey of a movie. Even in the era when silly movies were much more common than now, this was one of the silliest. I don't think it really belongs with the other Bond movies. David Niven as retired James Bond was ludicrous!
½ November 5, 2015
At the time, I really really wanted this to be a great film. I was a big James Bond fan, so I suppose I gave it a lot of leeway. But honestly this movie sucked. It was a bad and unfunny spoof of the Bond films. Certainly nowhere near as good as Austin Powers, just a bunch of disconnected gibberish that was supposed to be cute and funny. And I've never found Peter Sellers to be very funny, and this was no exception.
October 20, 2015
That rating is based almost entirely on how fucking perfect and gorgeous Barbara Bouchet looks in this movie.
½ September 21, 2015
Alright, my review of Casino Royale.... the 1967 spoof version, sadly; this is one of the most infamous films of all time.

The Nostalgia Critic once said to review a bad comedy is one of the toughest things to do (and so is making a comedy) because you can only go, "That isn't funny", so many times before you get up and leave the theater. This movie is one of the worst examples of comedy, and they had the cajones to soil James Bond while they were at it.

First things first; before I get into the review, I have to give this movie a special stance called [[Echo Synth]] THE WAGGING FINGER OF SHAME [[end echo mod]]. If you watched Ebert & Roeper's review of the 2005 remake of The Amityville Horror, you would know that they awarded this to movies that the studios were too embarrassed to screen in advance for film critics. The 1967 Casino Royale was not screened for critics.

Anyway, the opening theme to the movie IS pretty catchy, but some of the music does feel inappropriate.

The opening scene of the movie feels disjointed, and the scenes in the castle feel even worse with overheavy accents, bad dancing, and pointless scenes until everyone starts falling down. Are they dead or unconscious? Who cares? And even that has no point.

Bond is one of the most famous womanizers in every other movie, but this spoof turned him into an old prude and drastically altered his character. This is James Bond in name only; even Austin Powers makes a better 007 that this one does, and that's saying a lot.

It only gets worse. The villain group, a take on SMERSH, has a cheesy battle map with a guy running the place named Dr. Noah, who turns out to be Bond's nephew, Jimmy, a character played by the not-British Woody Allen when the real Bond and the top imposter are played by Pink Panther's David Niven and Peter Sellers, and this is a character that's only mentioned once prior to his reveal at the end of the movie. SMERSH is behind everything, which leads to Sir James Bond taking over MI6 and the heavily-accented people who run it, and hiring a bunch of imposters, including his illegitimate daughter, whose mother is Mata Hari, the World War spy. She has a good intro scene, but that's it.

Her mission in Berlin is where if you were taking the movie seriously up to that point, you stop here, because the bidding scene didn't seem to have much purpose, or any they made clear. The main imposter Bond, Evelyn Tremble, gets himself into Casino Royale and his game with the only major villain from the book, Le Chiffe, played by Orson Welles, the second horror vet to take the role after Peter Lorre did in an early 50's TV movie. This version of the character is a way-too affable magician and not a spy, Soviet or SMERSH agent, or even a good gambler; he's cheating, and while we do know how he's cheating, it's not used against him, and he and the fake Bond are killed in his little "torture machine" which Tex Avery uses.

Eventually, the bad guys kidnap Bond's daughter, bringing the real Bond to the casino and into SMERSH's headquarters; Jimmy Bond is poisoned with a pill that will blow the place sky high at this point, and, while the good guys do get the right idea of actually leaving, a brawl that turns the casino into a ridiculous and childish Cowboys and Indians game just. Stops. Them. Cue Jim burping 400 times, cue the building blowing up and wiping out the cast. The world is saved, but that's an anticlimatic and ridiculous way to end the whole thing.

This movie is filled with all the cliches of the Bond series (after only 4 films with a 5th to follow in 2 months, at that) played badly. And I just remembered, M supposedly died at the beginning, but this movie is written so badly, they never explain it and thought to trust us to take their word for it. There are several other bad explanations, and a lot of the conversations have no emotion to them. As for the pacing and feel, the movie starts very slow, and just devolves into an insane concoction of action right out of Tex Avery. Makes you wonder what drugs the makers were doing. I wasn't expecting much, but if you're going to use Bond, do something that's not a poor-man's version of Pink Panther. The special effects are bad, some things in the film, like the U.F.O., were not dealt with in a manner to where we're supposed to laugh or take it seriously, and the dialogue can be laughable. It says a lot when the Austin Powers movies can show more emotion and, for their ridiculous plots, be more believable.
There are two good things about this film. The title track from Herb Albert is pretty catchy, and I kinda liked the scene with the introduction of Bond's daughter, Mata Bond. There was some good to decent choreography there. The rest of the film is a Frankenstein's Monster patchwork of scenes, and one thing that should tip you off to this being bad: there are 5 directors credited. Outside of the music, I really can't remember much; this version of Casino Royale is sadly an enjoyment-free dead zone, and it convinced the guys behind the real James Bond series to fight hard against something like this happening again, which set the stage for some nasty legal work that was only settled for good two years ago. This movie's from 1967; my father was in high school.

I cannot recommend this one at all; it makes no sense, and it's shoddily edited and directed. It's a very poor version of one of the Roger Moore films, and those are still somewhat competent. THIS is one of the biggest turkeys ever crafted in Hollywood, and I just know, when The Nostalgia Critic gets to Bond movies, which I see happening with a new one coming in November, this movie will be one of the movies he reviews.
September 20, 2015
A seriously undervalued comedy gem. Part of its charm is its wild recklessness. The plot makes no sense, but in the same way that The Beatles' Help! makes no sense. It's a joy ride, and should be viewed as a snapshot of the sixties. And has any movie had such a brilliant soundtrack? Take a bow, Mr Bacharach.
½ September 13, 2015
Oddly charming, but seldom laugh-out-loud funny, this is an unusual take on agent 007.
August 20, 2015
Talk about a disjointed mess of a James Bond parody! Makes the Austin Powers sequels look like Goldfinger! The only saving grace is Peter Sellers who's only in half of a good movie!
July 28, 2015
The humor is mild at best (none of the jokes are remotely laugh-out-loud funny) but the story is not bad.