Casino Royale - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Casino Royale Reviews

September 16, 2017
The worst of the franchise, 1967's Casino Royale does have a number of humorous moments and a couple good performances, but they're not enough to save it from bad writing, suspense-free action, and the worst James Bond ever.
July 1, 2017
Plant tongue firmly in cheek. Add libations of your choice (the more & stronger the merrier). Remember the movie had six directors (none of whom were allowed to know what the others were doing).

On an additional plus side, the soundtrack is great.
June 4, 2017
We thought this film was at least as funny as most of the Austin Powers films. Definitely worth the watch just to see all the classic stars of the late 1900's.
May 29, 2017
Goofy spy satire. Not great but an excellent look back in time at absurd cinema inspired by, but not faithful to a classic Bond story.
½ December 19, 2016
The concept of James Bond working with a new generation is intriguing, but falls completely flat.

The big names sound good, but their acting is far lower than what any fan would expect; the quick change in perspective from Mata Hari to 'James Bond' is too confusing to even realise it's a Bond film. The plot simply squishes the book's plot into a story that wouldn't be funny in a Family Guy parody.

What Is the best way to describe this disaster of a mash up? The movie's last 10 minutes.
December 16, 2016
I don't understand the reviews. This is my favorite Bond film (after Goldfinger, Dr. No) plus there are beautiful babes and an excellent score.
November 19, 2016
A silly little cult classic.
½ August 30, 2016
Casino Royale is one of the more famous cases of a film suffering from production problem after production problem: by the time the budget ballooned beyond reasonable amounts and the script underwent multiple rewrites, the film was released as a product of five credited directors (a sixth went uncredited) and three writers.

All of this is so painfully obvious in the final cut of the film. To be blunt, it's a terribly crafted film. Despite being a huge tonal shift from the rest of the Bond films, the film starts out well enough: the plot is a reasonable kind of absurd, and the plot of a retired James Bond being forced out of retirement to fight SMERSH (no SPECTRE here) is admittedly a cool premise for a Bond film. However, as the film progresses, it slowly loses all cohesion as characters are introduced and thrown out of the narrative with no explanation and plot points become more interested in being absurd than logical. At a point, everything becomes so disconnected, and the plot literally becomes nearly impossible to follow. At this same point, all the clever satire the film had established in the first act, largely dealing with the themes of sex and womanizing in the franchise, is thrown out in favor of joke after joke that never land. Running over two hours, it certainly outstays its welcome, and the ending becomes a breath of fresh air: not for the way it actually concludes, but the mere fact that such a nightmarish production has finally ended.
½ August 2, 2016
A 007 spoof with Peter Sellers, Ursula Andress. Orson Welles, and Woody Allen sounds like a good idea, right? Well, it's an absolute mess. There were several Bond parody films made around this time period (Carry On Spying, In Like Flint, etc) which are better.
jamrcla
½ July 28, 2016
When we hear the word spoof film we all know it's going to be pretty bad but there's bad then there's this monstrosity, The film starts slow bringing James Bond out of retirement and then another hour recruiting agents with some unfunny humour thrown in doesn't help, We could deal with that then it felt like the directors couldn't decide how the film could end so they just went mad and it was so stupid I was counting down the seconds to turn it off, And then Woody Allen is cast as the mastermind, I felt like hanging myself I cant stand the bloke and when he's in a terrible film (99.9% of his films) It makes me want to give up on films, If you want a James Bond spoof stick to Austin Powers at least that's funny, This has to be the worst unfunny spoof film ever made and there are some pretty awfull ones out there too.
½ July 21, 2016
Casino Royale is like all the Ensemble Super Star cast movies in the 60s, but like those movies, they don't age well and feel silly
June 21, 2016
Sorti la même année qu'On ne vit que deux fois, Casino Royale, parodie quelque peu boursouflée de l'univers de James Bond, est un portrait de son époque. Entre folie des grandeurs (6 réalisateurs dont John Huston, Billy Wilder et Woody Allen entre autres au scénario, pléthore de stars dans de tous petits rôles) et simple comédie parodique très 60s, Casino Royale ne fait parfois aucun sens et dure bien trop longtemps. Mais Casino Royale est aussi fascinant dans son échec, avec des séquences improbables impliquant Woody Allen, Jean-Paul Belmondo, David Niven ou encore un Peter Sellers qui est probablement le seul à jouer James Bond sobrement (il y est excellent), un score exceptionnel de Burt Bacharach et une absence de honte particulièrement remarquable. On ne se refuse rien dans Casino Royale, quitte à partir dans le décor. C'est ce qui en fait un film indispensable, aussi drôle qu'étrange.
May 14, 2016
i didn't care much about this parody of 007 casino royale
½ April 23, 2016
The James Bond movies made after this one do not match up to it. 2006 version with Daniel Crag is a great film. And this is just a badly written and badly edited peace of pooh. This is a satire and it is not funny. It is just really stupid.
February 22, 2016
I'm not even sure if this movie is serious about itself. It's dissapointing to see how you can turn a great story into a bad script for a movie, and not even get the casting right.
February 18, 2016
The first time I tried watching this, I had to turn it off after the duck hunt. What horrible dreck until that point. This time around, there were a lot more parts that weren't so terrible. The Connery spoof, the endless parade of stunningly gorgeous women, Orson Welles, some truly weird moments, and Basil Exposition. The Peter Sellers stuff was quite good which is why he's got top billing. Any scene, however, with David Niven was a chore to watch.
February 11, 2016
There's a lot I don't understand about this film. I don't understand the decision to do it as a comedy. I don't understand how anyone could think having 5 different directors would work. Mainly I don't understand how anyone could think that what they were making was funny. It's fairly astonishing to see this much talent utterly wasted.

Well, the Burt Bacharach music is nice.
December 15, 2015
Some amusing dialogue. Pretty high tech I guess at the time when the movie was made. There was a Sir James Bond played by David Niven and a James Bond in disguise played by Peter Sellers.
November 16, 2015
After being used to the standard Bond formula, I find the anarchy and chaos of this unofficial Bond film to be some kind of relief. It will never be an award-winning masterpiece, but the effort goes so far into the land of stupidity, it's funny. Though, I have to admit the plot idea of 7 James Bonds on a mission is quite brilliant.
November 6, 2015
I gave 1967's Casino Royale one star, only because someone succeeded in making this turkey of a movie. Even in the era when silly movies were much more common than now, this was one of the silliest. I don't think it really belongs with the other Bond movies. David Niven as retired James Bond was ludicrous!