Cover Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cover Girl Reviews

May 8, 2016
To age well as a WWII era musical is about as easy as appearing to be original when you're actually a "Pulp Fiction" rip-off released in 1995. As they were produced for no other reason than to cheer audiences of the time up as though war were not actually a reality, many suffer, at least in the eyes of a modern, disenchanted viewer, from overt slightness. Sweetness can sometimes be sickening, comparable to eating a Burj Khalifa sized ice cream sundae after running through a Mexican buffet a couple of times. Unless "Singin' in the Rain" (which was post-war era) self-referentiality is in place, and unless golden musicality and snappy dance numbers layer the scenery, you've got yourself a time waster that feels like nothing more than a blockbuster made in a machine.
1944's "Cover Girl," the film that made a star out of Gene Kelly and captured Rita Hayworth at the pinnacle of her fame, oftentimes comes close to getting crushed under the weight of its own insipid formula. But because Kelly and Hayworth are even flashier dancers than Rogers and Astaire, because the tunes are performed enthusiastically, because the Technicolor photography is eyegasmic, and because it has the kinetic pomp to undo its plodding plot-based circumstance, there is enough excellence within it to deem it something special. There's a reason why Hayworth and Kelly have remained legends while Betty Grable and Dan Dailey have stayed put as cultural artifacts - they have unbreakable star quality that breaks the confines of period taste. And they're more than just a little bit talented, though I'm sure you already knew that.
It's an effective showcase for both. Hayworth headlines as Rusty Parker, a voluptuous chorus girl working for Danny McGuire (Kelly), a club manager who also serves as her boyfriend. Rusty is the type that would be content doing the same job for the rest of her life - she adores Danny and adores dancing, singing. Though she's hardly lucrative, she's doing what she loves.
Her predictable routine, however, is put on hold when opportunity for superstardom arrives. It is announced that "Vanity" magazine is looking for their latest cover model; naturally, they're seeking a fresh face to give fame to, and all the girls of the city come flocking to the periodical's headquarters for an interview. Rusty, predictably, is hired, but not merely because she's one of the most beautiful women to walk the Earth. It also has something to do with the way she is a near replica of her grandmother, with whom "Vanity's" editor (Otto Kruger) was in love during his youth.
Immediately, she's a hit with audiences, who are fond of her beauty and soon find out about her spot in Danny's show. Her popularity promises Broadway stardom, and it's quick to find her. But Rusty is torn between her love of Danny and career potential - if she remains a part of his act, she'd have the ability to work with her cherished boyfriend until things get more serious. But if she diverges, there's a chance her popularity could get in the way and harm their relationship. Rusty wouldn't mind staying small time, but Danny reacts brashly, thus prompting her to swim in the waters of notoriety. Conflict arises when Noel Wheaton (Lee Bowman), the playboy friend of a stage producer, becomes romantically interested in her.
The plot of "Cover Girl" is forced and foreseeable and maybe all too reminiscent of one you'd find in a Broadway musical that never flew. But its assembly line substance doesn't much matter because everything else is so radiant. Hayworth and Kelly are talented actors, sure, but the second they make may for the dance floor we know we're in for something special. The songs are similarly strong, unsurprising consider their being written by Jerome Kern and Ira Gershwin. The costumery and photography is warmly lavish.
So it's all nicely decorated and nicely extravagant - like most musicals, its looks and feelings are of utmost importance, meaning and great value not so much of a concern. It's all light as a feather, really. But because it has terrific leads and because it's manufactured efficiently, "Cover Girl" is a movie musical with a touchable glow.
February 15, 2016
Essentially a love-story that takes a few tangents along the way before ending up where we all expect it too. In between there's some good musical numbers, and it's unusual to see Phil Silvers in a film of this genre, but he does a good supporting job too.
July 28, 2015
Luscious Technicolor musical is saddled with an inane plot, but there are still many pleasures to enjoy including the Oscar-nominated "Long Ago and Far Away" and Gene Kelly's "alter-ego" dance.
July 15, 2015
I don't get this movie, The plot was stretched out for the 2 hours. The grandma story- history -repeats- itself was unnecessary. The singing was a bit annoying. Rusty and Danny's personalities too.
December 29, 2014
Good songs and great dance numbers. Hayworth is on top form in one of her best films, with Kelly just as good, which makes this 1944 movie a musical treat.
March 17, 2014
Really good musical. Good dancing and musical numbers, for me the highlight is the "I dreamed a dream" song. Rita Hayworth was has some good dance numbers, she's given more here to do than her two musicals made with Fred Astaire.
January 7, 2014
A Gene Kelly era musical with some inventive production. predictable plot. Rita Heyworth is worth a brief look if she is in it. She is stunning, but her films have never done much for me. Old Hollywood that will be forgotten about by all but the most enthusiastic of movie buffs.
November 23, 2013
Rita Hayworth is a joy to watch in Charles Vidor's musical film "Cover Girl." My two favorite songs were of her performing "Sure Thing" and "Poor John," incredible rhythm and choreography in them. It has a simple story; Hayworth plays Rusty Parker, she works at her boyfriend's night club and gets offered to be the cover girl of a famous magazine. Gene Kelly as Danny McGuire plays her lover; he has a sidekick named Genius, who becomes irritating with his not so funny humor. I think it's pretty well made even though it has a predictable story; how it juxtaposes Rusty Parker's grandmother's love story with Rusty's is impressive. I'm not exactly sure why I love Rita Hayworth, I just know I do. She is everything, the rest isn't that important.
½ September 14, 2013
Rusty Parker (Rita Hayworth) is a chorus girl at Danny McGuire's place (Gene Kelly), however she has the chance of a lifetime to be the cover girl of a major magazine. She is going places with a rich suitor who wants to hire her and then propose marriage. Rusty neglects her old job and it leaves Danny dejected and angry. He knows that Rusty has a great future in front of her but he cannot stand to break up their team that includes their mutual friend Genius (Phil Silvers). At first Rusty does not understand her true feelings and rashly decides to get married. However, much like her grandmother before her, Rusty realizes in the nick of time how she feels.

This Technicolor film has one or two decent numbers and I was surprised how nimble Phil Silvers is on his toes. He dances well with Kelly and Hayworth. As always Eve Arden is as humorous as ever and Gene Kelly used his artistic control fairly well.
May 30, 2013
Predictable but fun to watch ...
May 8, 2013
Loved the dance battle between Gene Kelly vs himself! lol Rita Hayworth was so pretty in this!! :)
April 12, 2013
I am a Gene Kelly fan and he delivered in his "going crazy dance" with himself. That was a really good scene. Outside of that, I felt like the movie kept going on at times and felt like they could have cut 20 ~ 30 minutes out of the movie and not lost anything.
January 2, 2013
wooohoooo gene kelly looks soo good here :)
½ September 18, 2012
Cover Girl is a wonderful film. It is about Rusty Parker who wins a contest and becomes a celebrated cover girl; this endangers her romance with dancing mentor Danny. Rita Hayworth and Gene Kelly give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. Charles Vidor did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the music and romance. Cover Girl is a must see.
½ September 2, 2012
Gene Kelly is great in his breakout film. I'm not a bit fan of musicals, but Gene Kelly has always been an exception for me. Gene is well teamed here with romantic interest Rita Hayworth (who I always like better in black and white) and his comic-relief pal, Phil Silvers. It's a pretty unoriginal story, but the cast and the Jerome Kern and Ira Gershwin songs make it a must see.
August 19, 2012
Early Technicolor musical with Rita Hayworth, Gene Kelly, Phil Silvers. Not exactly ground-breaking, but well done.
May 23, 2012
rita's got it covered
½ September 24, 2011
Except for the astounding sequnce in which Gene Kelly dances with himself, there's really not much going for Cover Girl. Hayworth looks lovely, but then she always does. The musical numbers aren't all that great, except for Long Ago and Far Away, and the storyline is ridiculous. And Phil Silvers is actually kind of annoying. But the worst part is there's no momentum and the film keeps randomly turning to these lousy flashbacks of Hayworth as her own grandmother.