Darling - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Darling Reviews

½ August 28, 2016
Christie's Oscar-winning portrayal hasn't aged a bit, even if the movie's swinging '60s milieu has.
March 2, 2016
Darling is a nice 60's movie, the predecessor of Midnight Cowboy for John Schlesinger.
½ October 25, 2015
While it may have stayed in the 60's since its release, Darling is an overall entertaining British satirical drama thanks to Christie's dynamic and shining lead performance
August 20, 2015
An interesting portrait of celebrities with a strong performance from Julie Christie but not entirely worthy of her Oscar. Beautiful cinematography and great writing
June 16, 2015
A Drawn Out Love Affair For A Woman Searching For Acceptance From Misogynistic Men. Some Have Said This Is (Meant To Be??) A Parody, But I'd Say Jane Austin Does Such Things Best. Here All We Have Is A Dated, 'Carry On' Styled Flick, Which Barely Scrapes The Surface Of The Diana (Darling) Character. The 'Best Actress' Oscar Was Misplaced Here...Should Have Gone To The Other Julie (Sound Of Music).
½ May 31, 2015
Julie Christie plays well the opportunist pretty and modern gold digger, literally ending up in a golden cage in an italian castle. Made me think grace kelly.....
February 8, 2015
I was very young when I saw it, and really wouldn't "get" it for years afterward. I did know I loved looking at Julie Christie, Laurence Harvey and , especially, Dirk Bogarde and I did know that John Schlesinger made me want to continue looking at them. Therefore, I love it, and loved it years before I could put my finger on WHY I loved it.
January 26, 2015
Starts out kind of sharp and fun, and then just goes on and on and on about nothing, long after it's worn out its welcome. How on Earth Schlesinger thought this character deserved a two-hour movie is beyond me. The acting is decent though, and Laurence Harvey's hair is amazing.
May 26, 2013
I love it, very old-fashion but classic.
March 7, 2013
Fine 1965 film featuring gorgeous Julie Christie in an Oscar-winning Best Actress performance. She plays a 20ish model married to an earnest young man she soon dumps for a feature writer for radio/telly. Next she beds a more high-powered guy (Laurence Harvey) who uses his influence to supercharge her modeling career. Their relationship doesn't amount to much though, and she runs off with a gay photographer to Italy. and so forth: she's always moving on to the next guy, the next situation, the next stage, without much rhyme or reason to it. She "goes with the flow." Incidentally IGNORE RT's "movie info" blurb on this one, it's a mistake, referencing the wrong film. (There is no "Prabhas" or any such person in this movie).
February 8, 2013
This is a very modern film in its attitudes toward romance and relationships. Bitterly humorous, it shows the private misery behind the public beauty of a sometime actress and model who moves in the burgeoning media circles of 1960s London, Paris, and Rome. Julie Christie has a fine, Oscar winning performance as the seemingly successful "Ideal Woman" who underneath her outward success and flawless complexion is heartbroken, insulted, and frustrated. A nice psychological portrait which also captures something of the atmosphere of elite post-war European urban life.
½ December 24, 2012
Dated movie in which a model (Julie Christie) moves up in the world of fashion by fooling around with every slimy man she comes across. This includes Laurence Harvey, who looks like he is still in his role from "The Manchurian Candidate." The movie is dreary, uninteresting, slow and extremely forgettable. There is nothing really special about this picture, one which netted an Oscar, for some reason, for Julie Christie. She has been in better performances in other films ("Doctor Zhivago" from that year, and as well as "McCabe and Mrs. Miller" and "Don't Look Now" from the 1970's) for which a nomination for an Oscar was never acknowledged. Apparently ground breaking for its time; undeniably bland by today's standards.
December 11, 2012
Okay, so my interest in Julie Christie is what drew me to this one and I have to say that her unhappy character, who refuses to find any happiness in any level of success just made me throw up my hands in exasperation after about an hour of her jumping from relationship to relationship looking for the bigger, better life.

Fuck this broad and her assholish inability to just be content with having everything that would make a normal person happy.

Pass, unless you're an amoral opportunist, in which case this is like a masterclass on how to get ahead in life.
August 24, 2012
It is hard for me to say that a film is "dated" considering it was made for a space and time, more like a time capsule. This film is a perfect capsulation of swinging London and the amorality that came from it. I feel the themes of this film still ring true today, which in itself is disturbing.
May 16, 2012
Julie Christie‚(TM)s Oscar-winning motion picture, at the helm of UK‚(TM)s soon-to-be Academy winning director John Schlesinger (for MIDNIGHT COWBOY 1969), anchored by two top-billing male co-stars Bogarde and Harvey, explores a young woman‚(TM)s uncertainty of pursuing her happiness, therefore comes into being a remarkable expedition and a vigorously incisive piece of work.

‚Being happy should be the easiest thing in the world, isn‚(TM)t it?‚?, the central line underlies the tenor of the film, which starts as a commonplace love affair, after a struggle of hunger for fame and dismay of boredom, the girl eventually becomes the wife of a Italian prince, but the lush life doesn‚(TM)t complete her emptiness inside, her rueful aftermath has been a role model example of modern relationship-disillusion symptom.

The original score from John Dankworth is additionally excellent, balances the rollercoaster adventures and is captivating alongside Christie‚(TM)s gallant performance, who is the sole nucleus of the film and consistently sterling in every scene and literally she is in every scene, Bogarde and Harvey are two prisms reflecting two vastly different desirabilities of men, both mesmerizing and realistic (as my first encounter with Laurence Harvey, his amoral womanizer representative is so dazzling and charismatic).

There is a self-destruction undercurrent influences the entire film, maybe the specie of woman is notable for her instability and bewilderment of what her wants, while men are more predominantly clear about their limitations and their preys, which sounds plausible for me, and one cannot help feeling sympathy towards our leading lady‚(TM)s quandary, which could be tons of women peers‚(TM) pipe dream, a princess in Italy, what a killing temptation, plus Jos√ (C) Luis de Vilallonga is a decent and young-looking widower in the film, so one might wonder how many white flags will he receive facing all the female viewers, who might grudgingly slam Christie‚(TM)s fickle nature, but the truth is one cannot literally live in other person‚(TM)s shoes, especially if she is a woman. So the film renders us a marvelous answer, she has only herself to thank for her predicament.
½ April 1, 2012
The film looks good, as does Julie Christie, for once, but it isn't really my sort of thing. The message they were trying to put across, I suppose, is that money doesn't buy you happiness and, unless you can remember the opening scenes (by the end of this long film), it does sort of get lost in the epic relationship hopping that follows. I was convinced that this would have been a biopic of somebody that I am too young to know, I'm disappointed that it isn't and that I've just spent two hours plus learing about the life of a non-existent model.
½ March 27, 2012
christie is faithless and walks off with the oscar.