The Far Country - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Far Country Reviews

October 7, 2016
Another lost flixster rating?
Paris S.
½ October 9, 2015
A great go of some above average character acting, a surprisingly great crusty anti-hero portrayal from James Stewart, and a sizzling plot which unfolds at a nice place- and that's all The Far Country is. I'm surprised this film has received so much praise; there are better westerns that have garnered far less praise than The Far Country, in my opinion, like the often overlooked Bend of the River.
August 20, 2015
Really good western, which has James Stewart playing a really unlikable Anti-hero, who only cares about himself, and doesn't really care to do the right thing.
½ June 4, 2015
I can starve a little but I can't go without coffee!

Jeff Webster and Ben Tatum are resourceful men. Jeff is quick with the gun but is only out for himself. There is a gold rush in the Klondike and Jeff and Ben see money in bringing them cattle. They make a fortune selling the cows and can now settle down and make a home. Jeff prefers to be on his own, but when he sees his paying customers being taken advantage of by a Baron of sorts, he may turn over a new leaf.

"I'm going to hang you but I'm going to like you."

Anthony Mann, director of El Cid, Winchester '73, The Glenn Miller Story, The Fall of the Roman Empire, Serenade, and The Naked Spur, delivers The Far Country. The storyline for this picture is entertaining and has some unique characteristics. The characters are well written and wonderfully executed. The cast includes James Stewart, Walter Brennan, Harry Morgan, and Ruth Roman.

"They take this lying down?"
"Well, aren't we?"

Far Country was recommended to me by Fios so I DVR'd it off Encore Western. This was a fun film to watch unfold. There wasn't a ton of action but definitely some great dialogue from Stewart. His character goes through a strange evolution and becomes very dynamic. I thought he executed this role well. This is worth a viewing.

"We got a killer on board."

Grade: B-
March 22, 2015
They just don't make movies like this anymore.
March 4, 2015
a very good movie filmed in Jasper National Park Alberta nice horses to.
December 20, 2013
Jimmy Stewart and the rest of the cast are absolutely fantastic in this "northern" rather than a "western". It is a great Sunday afternoon popcorn movie full of larger than life characters and Hollywood legends at their finest.
June 6, 2013
another dark psychological western from the director who started it all anthony mann
April 27, 2013
I like the story. Jimmy Stewart does a successful job at portraying the character Jeff Webster who is likable, has traits of a strong character in his abilities. Yet Jeff Webster is a jerk as he has been taught that self-reliant and independent upon himself, believing that he does not require the assistance of anyone. The truth is as much as he does not see I he does. They have helped him in his success but something in his background has made him believe that people do not help each other but of their own self-interest. business greed, and the belief that doesnâ(TM)t need anyone. He shows weakness in fear of death and being outnumbered. He doesn't take extremely risky risk. He comes to the conclusion that the only way to be successful and successful is threw greed and own skill and you can not rely upon others for assistance without having to pay for something in return. There must be something for him to earn or an incentive or he is not willing to go the extra length. His colleagues and people who consider him a friend try to convince him to settle down. At one point they actually vouch for him into other jobs of power such as sheriff as they find Jeff extremely eligible and qualified for occupations. Yet he rejects the opportunity finding it a far too risky of an occupation, not worth the risk and feels no obligation to help the people of the town. The film does reveal that he does feel a loyalty to his honor and for those who has a close connection towards when it comes to people not getting killed.

As Jeff has everything taken away from him as it has been stollen. He finds the desire and cause as he finds the cause, reason to fight for as others dreams fall apparat and get taken away by bullies. As he looses those things and people which he cares for the most.

He had been falling for the wrong girl but once that girl dies he goes for the one who really loves him without the false pretense.
½ December 6, 2012
Almost a mirror film to Winchester '73, with the same writer, director, star, and style, this one involves the same old same old about the smoothy crook dishonestly making a land grab off of the honest hardworking pioneer types. Stewart decides to even the deal out in this predictable, but fun, fable.
½ September 30, 2012
I loved the beautiful cinematography but I don't think any of these characters could of existed in real life..
½ August 26, 2012
Great classic Western with James at the helm, of course
July 24, 2012
One of the lesser known westerns, but how enjoyable it is. Stewart comes strong as a man, who is unprepared for the harshness of people from Yukon, and somehow in the final evaluation becomes the anti-hero. Everybody's waiting for the moment, when he will finally reclaim his sense of righteousness. Anthony Mann directed this story about courage, greed, lack of emotions, and corruption in the most detailed and skillful manner.
½ July 6, 2012
Decent, but not spectacular. I liked the strong female role of Ronda Castle, but it didn't really add up to much in the end (and kind of got lost at points along the way.) Still not a fan of Jimmy Stewart.
½ June 28, 2012
Nu fattas bara The Glenn Miller Story sÄ har jag sett alla AM/JS.Den hÀr var ingen av faoriterna men ÀndÄ helt ok.
½ June 9, 2012
decent little western especially if you like James Stewart.
June 3, 2012
Jasper National Park and the Columbia Ice Fields of Alberta stunt double for Skagway and the Yukon in this wonderful, if historically absurd, Anthony Mann yarn of the Klondike.

Corinne Calvet and her cute Hudson Bay jacket steal the film .

Well worth an up-converted DVD re-visit.
½ May 22, 2012
Tuesday, May 22, 2012

(1955) The Far Country
WESTERN

1 of 8 films James Stewart collaborated with director Anthony Mann- 5 of them are Westerns. I might've liked this one but director Anthony Mann had made films like this before and are better which usually centers about a typical righteous outlaw's eventual obsession or turn to make things right, in this case James Stewart as Jeff who shot and killed some outlaws attempting to steal some of his cattle only to cross paths with a corrupt judge and jury Gannon played by John McIntire. As a result of seeing so many Westerns, this is a typical common theme where the good guy doesn't do anything until something really bad happens to him allowing the bad guys to do things to him is when he finally reacts is very basic stuff and not as good after a second viewing.

2 out of 4
April 5, 2012
The Mr. Gannon character (John McIntire) is intriguing as the evil sheriff but this is not a "must-see" Western.... L
March 3, 2012
always enjoy james stewart & mostly "the far country" is kept alive by his prescence. slow & predictable is how it starts off but by mid-way through it partially flourishes & becomes a bit more intense