Fire and Ice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fire and Ice Reviews

½ June 10, 2016
Old-fashioned sword-and-sorcery fantasy in typical Bakshi animation. Visually, that works well for some sequences and rather lousy for others. Either way, the plot fits on a stamp and the characters could have used a little more clothes. In other words: did it neither age well, nor does it have much of a brain or heart.
July 13, 2015
If you're a fan of sword and sorcery of the ilk Robert E. Howard or Edgar Rice Burroughs might churn up then this it what you've been waiting to see. Frank Frazetta had something to do with it, and so there's plenty of heaving busoms and rippling backsides as well as the standard swordplay that the genre thrives on. This version of that genre might be the absolute best on film period. Nothing else even comes close to capturing the ominous feel of it. Kudos to all involved, especially (surprise!) Gerry Conway and Roy Thomas, co-helming the typewriting duties.
December 24, 2014
Ever since I heard of the Ralph Bakshi version of "The Lord of the Rings" I wondered: What the hell is 'rotoscope' animation?!!! Well... I finally found out... I saw this movie about three years ago not having any idea who Ralph Bakshi is... And I liked it... a lot... Very good story line... it even has a little character development which is great for a cartoon... See it if you get bored with contemporary animation.... Don't get me wrong... I'm not saying it's just a nice cartoon... It's a pretty good movie too...
½ December 21, 2014
I expected more from this movie.. The hero felt a little short thought the whole movie.
½ December 21, 2014
Haven't seen this for along time but really enjoyed seeing it again. Another brilliant Bakshi rotoscope animation which looks even better and more fluid than his famous Lord of the Rings film. The plot is basic and the whole thing plays out a little too quickly (1h 18min) but the direct and simple fairytale approach really seems to work well despite being silly.

The look of the film is like LOTR in design and colour schemes, its vibrant in places, eerie in others and shows nice clear details throughout. It does feel like there could be much more to see in this world, you just wanna see it expand further with more creatures and adventures. As said the film is kinda limited and short, a sequel would of been just the ticket.

Really this could easily be a chapter from the LOTR franchise with names like Fire Keep, Nekron, Darkwolf, Teegra, Larn etc...Bakshi's prior work obviously helped a lot here. His approach has been refined as has the animators skills and techniques. There is also a clear Conan feeling running through this too thanks to writers from Marvel, its pure 80's fantasy to a tee with great graphic novel visuals, a living comic way back before the likes of 'Sin City'.

Again like LOTR the voice work is great and really makes the whole thing more than just a cartoon. The rotoscoping is much better and looks more realistic (quite eerie actually), the film is much more adult in style and action, plenty of blood and killing. A pre-runner to modern adaptations if you ask me, not at all for kids, more along the lines of 'The Beastmaster' perhaps.

This is great fun and could really be a decent adult fantasy live action film if made correctly, but I stress ADULT only. Teegra must be running around in her skimpy thong and straddling a Pterodactyl if this is gonna work for live action.

A real sense of many barbarian fantasy films from back in the day including a taste of He-Man, of course Conan is more evident over everything else. That doesn't detract from this what so ever, as an original creation Bakshi has done an amazing job to bring this together with much quality and style. A true cult classic that is probably Bakshi's finest hour in animation.
September 14, 2014
Love Bakshi, love rotoscoping, love breasts and Darkwolf is total baddass.
½ August 25, 2014
Blandest of the bland. Bakshi appears to be copying off his own Wizards and trimming down the story and humour even more. Some occasionally decent rotoscoping is the only reason to watch it. Apart from that, it's a template fantasy movie.
½ June 5, 2014
It's not one of Ralph Bakshi's best works, but as an animated fantasy feature, I'd say it's worth watching, if mainly because of the occasional moments that are weird and wonderful. The film itself follows in the footsteps of the more successful Schwarzenegger film known as "Conan the Barbarian", which made heroic fantasy very popular in the 1980's. Naturally, there isn't that much depth, which at a length of only 81 minutes is something you should probably expect in this film. The voice acting isn't bad, but isn't really great either. In fact, there are times when I think that Teegra's lines become unbelievable. However, if the film has one thing going for it, it's the overall art style. Although the animation isn't as polished as his previous works, Ralph Bakshi's collaboration with fantasy illustrator Frank Frazetta pays off in a different way, with a nice art style that makes up for the film's shoddier areas.
April 27, 2014
Joya subestimada de la animación de los 80's. Ciertas partes parecen copias de Star Wars pero su estética le da personalidad propia.
½ February 27, 2014
Bakshi gives one final attempt at a fantasy epic and this one is without a doubt his best looking animated film. Too bad it's plot mostly consists of the main characters getting chased around in circles for an hour and a half.
½ June 28, 2013
Fun,and entertaining for every 20 year old living with his parents. Classic Ralph Bakshi film and desires cult status
May 18, 2013
I'm not overly fond of Bakshi's work, especially his LotR and Hobbit attempts and while this is not the greatest film what I love is the old school fantasy style they achieve in it. While Larn is reminiscent of He-Man and Teegra is so scantily clad for sex appeal reasons, the story is what makes this so good for me.
½ May 13, 2013
The story is nothing complex but the animation is stunning and there's an undeniable retro charm.
May 11, 2013
If you're gonna kill the ice lord, boy, you better learn to live with pain
March 2, 2013
I spit on peace. I spit on you.

On a mystical planet there are two primary clans, those that worship fire and those that worship ice. There are also a host of creatures and beings on the planet with no particular allegiance to anyone. The evil lord of the ice clan, Nekron, destroys a small fire village and kidnaps a half naked woman. The half naked woman will be pursued by a He-Man like hero from the fire clan. Can our hero save the half naked woman?

"A pig you are; and like a pig, you will die."

Ralph Bakshi, director of The Lord of the Rings (1978), Cool World, Fritz the Cat, Wizards, Heavy Traffic, and Coonskin, delivers Fire and Ice. This 80 minute animated film had high hopes of being an epic. The story was okay but the action scenes were awesome. The animation style was a bit clunky. The voices were okay and included Cynthia Leake, Randy Norton, Steve Sandor, and Sean Hannon.

"You can come along...if you behave yourself."

Fire and Ice is a movie that I always thought had a cool cover. I came across it while flicking through Netflix and decided to give it a shot. I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed this picture at times and other times I thought it was trying too hard. The animation style was a bit disappointing but I did adore most of the action scenes. This is just okay and worth seeing once.

"We have to start over."

Grade: C+
January 15, 2013
Loved this when I wAs a kid want to get it for kayne
½ January 10, 2013
I've seen this soooo very long ago... all I can remember is that, it was pretty cool
½ December 29, 2012
The plot lacks originality and the animation is one of the worst I have ever seen. Although there are a few okay things in the film, especially the character Darkwolf, these things never make up for the general Q-level of the film.
½ December 14, 2012
A beautiful but generic animated fantasy who's only draw back is the distraction created by differing art styles when comparing character desgins and back drops.
December 11, 2012
This is just a plain awesome film. It's one of best fantasy sorcery films that I have seen, liked it even more than Heavy Metal. I love the look of the animation, it's very similar to Heavy Metal. It's all just pure fantasy, pure fun and I just love these kinds of movies. This is my idea of what a fantasy movie should be like.