Foul Play - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Foul Play Reviews

½ November 11, 2016
A woman named Gloria Mundy (Goldie Hawn) receives a strange container from a hitchhiker, who soon dies when he tries to warn her of the Dwarf. She now must try to avoid being captured or killed by people who want the container; and in the process, she needs to find out more about what it is these people are after and why.

I just so happened to stumble upon this movie in my local library knowing virtually nothing about it when I saw it, and I'm glad I saw it that way. "Foul Play" mixes in different elements of romance and mystery, and I felt more intrigued with the mystery of the story because I was trying to figure out the case along with the main character: I knew no better than Gloria as she is trying to avoid people from attacking her or when she is trying to find clues of the container's contents that she possesses.

I also liked most of the cast members. I felt for Gloria when she was so nervous of encountering people who were after her. Chevy Chase was charismatic enough with what he had to do in his role. The white-haired assassin (the Albino assassin) was very menacing. I thought this was a surprisingly entertaining and decently crafted mystery.

The romance elements, on the other hand, I don't think were as well handled, even though I do like Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn. I thought their characters had decent chemistry and were watchable together onscreen. But, if anything, the romance of the film seems a bit rushed because the movie introduces these two characters early on to each other, then puts them apart for much of the movie only to bring them back at a little bit past half the film. It's pretty uneven when it's trying to balance the mystery with the romance.

I also think the film loses a lot of momentum in its third act. When "Foul Play" begins, the impression I got was that it was going to be an interesting, somewhat dark, mystery movie with some romance in it. Throughout about the first forty minutes, there are small comedic moments that were amusing. Even though the movie stars a comedic actor, Chevy Chase, there wasn't really an indication from the opening scenes that gave me the impression that the filmmakers were trying to make a comedy or mix in a lot of comedic elements. So, it was weird that there was a comic karate fight scene between two old people near the end; it felt really out of place in the movie, unintentionally funny, and was kind of cringe-inducing. Also, one character (I won't say who) near the end does some really reckless things to try to stop the bad guys that it made me want to shake my head in disappointment at this person.

"Foul Play" suffers from some oddly out-of-place comedic scenes and when it rushes the romance, but remains very intriguing when it focuses on its mystery plot. This is not perfect, by any means, but I do think that the movie is a good film to see for decent, well-crafted entertainment.
7/10
½ November 2, 2016
Mostly poor mix of comedy and crime has Goldie Hawn's life in danger from being the unknowing holder of valuable film and Chevy Chase as a cop both trying to protect her and pick her up. Good cast with disappointing script that does save the few good moments for Dudley Moore.
½ August 16, 2016
Makes you think, makes you laugh. It's a shame Higgins didn't get to make even better.
June 3, 2016
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!
½ May 2, 2016
An unsuspecting woman becomes tangled in a complicated assassination plot. Good cast--including early feature roles for Hawn and Chase--can't quite make up for the overly drawn out story. Contains several nods to Hitchcock premises and spawned a very brief tv series in 1981 that was canceled after only six episodes.
½ September 27, 2015
Perfect Sunday afternoon movie set in and around San Francisco.
August 12, 2015
Oh my gosh, this is so good! Still holds up!
August 1, 2015
In This Really Bad movie goldie hawn tries to escape from assasins with the help of chevy chase and then this guy dudley moore appears and the assasins try to kill the Pope but this is a Non-Sense Movie about a murder and a really bad story this is NOT a kids movie IT'S AN ADULT MOVIE oh and i almost forget and at the start some cigarettes appear and when you start watching it they seem an important part of the movie but when the movie you realease that they are not they are not mencioned on the story or appear again at the screen later than the first 45 Minutes.
Foul Play Gets an Complete F
June 3, 2015
Good movie. The plot does a fairly nice job of blending Hitchcockian-style suspense and humor, and has great performances from its cast, especially Chase in his debut and Hawn.
April 23, 2015
Goldie Hawn used to be SO cute. It's a shame what she's done to herself. Oh yeah...the movie. It could have used a LOT more Chevy Chase. It's weird seeing him play more of a straight man, but he still has some great lines. A tribute to Hitchcock, it drags and goes on WAY to long at the end.
April 2, 2015
Funny moments and a surprisingly winning chemistry between Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase elevate this film to a mostly engaging, frothy dollop of easygoing entertainment. While there were some nods in homage to Hitchcock, they were occasionally ham-fisted. Also, the director/screenwriter never cohesively united all the different elements he was cooking to effect a satisfying payoff. The end, therefore, feels like something of an anticlimax, despite an absurdly lengthy high speed car chase, owing to choppy pacing and the decision to straddle the comedic strains of the script without fully embracing them. The movie is cute if ultimately somewhat mediocre and more derivative than homage overall.
October 31, 2014
Foul Play is a cute enjoyable film. It is about a shy San Francisco librarian and a bumbling cop who fall in love as they solve a crime involving albinos, dwarves, and the Catholic Church. Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase give amazing performances. The script is entertaining but a little slow in places. Colin Higgins did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the mystery and humor. Foul Play is a must see.
½ August 6, 2014
Foul Play succeeds at being both hilarious and intense at the same time. It is able to do so because of the witty script and smart humor, while also running the plotline of an Alfred Hitchcock movie. Along with being very entertaining, Foul Play features easily one of the best soundtracks ever put to a film. One of the best comedies I've seen in a while.
April 19, 2014
Hitchcock by way of Fletch. Foul Play is probably Chase's most underrated film and one of his most mature. He doesn't play the eccentric ass as he usually does. Here he's an impressively game leading man with wit and charm. The cast does impeccably and it delivers both as a thriller and a comedy.
½ April 3, 2014
Foul Play tries to reach levels that a Hitchcockian thriller would, but it is out of its grasp. This movie is hokey, yet it is still fun to watch.
½ March 17, 2014
Really enjoyed this comedy from the good old days. It's a shame we don't have writers or comedians of this caliber anymore.
March 5, 2014
not to bad of a movie but the story just seems a lil bland girls gets chased cops try to catch the bad guys and etc nothing new
February 17, 2014
Yawn. The movie produces several good laughs that still carry well into our times, but the plot is long to unfold and often boring.
February 15, 2014
Thoroughly entertaining comedy-thriller with Goldi Hawn and Chevy Chase in top form