The General Reviews

• Apr 21, 2021

Gah. This did not age well. Considering that the main character would have owned or would have been working towards owning a slave and that the leading woman's character probably did own slaves, this movie is just about as entertaining as a feel-good comedy about a Nazi fighting the English. It doesn't help that Buster Keaton is no Charlie Chaplin. While the action is fairly consistent, the comedy is not. It's a hint of slapstick thrown in every now and again, hardly something to guffaw at.

• Apr 04, 2021

This is remarkably impressive work. Keaton's ability to visualize scenes of great complexity and realism and then get them to physically manifest before the camera while simultaneously acting and giving some of the most impressive physical performances ever must be appreciated by true fans of cinema; or art in general, really. I wasn't sure how I would take this film at first. It can be a real stretch to relate to and really appreciate films from this long ago in a way comparable to how they were for their time and that generation. Yeah, a lot of the prat falls verge on the corny, or do cross that line. But then there's the startling ease with which Keaton moves about the train; pulling himself back onto it, jumping or falling off, walking along the edge as it barrels along. The scene of the train crashing into the river as the bridge collapses has to be among the most impressive effects/scenes of its time. I found this often funny, from the physical humor to the saluting scene at the very end. That scene's very specific type of visual humor has been copied and used to great effect by comedy acts, writers, directors actors from Chaplin to The Three Stooges to Allen in the 70's. 3.8 stars

• Mar 15, 2021

The best silent comedy there is. I think it's Buster Keaton's finest film.

The best silent comedy there is. I think it's Buster Keaton's finest film.

• Mar 15, 2021

This is a joy to watch. The trains give a wonderful sense of movement throughout the film and Keaton's grace, fluidity and timing as he transverses through the various sets is a marvel to behold and all the more impressive since he did all his stunts. There's not much that I can add that hasn't been said before about this film. It's a great example of his genius and talent.

• Jan 30, 2021

Sinemanın temellerini attığına inandığım, benim için adeta bir idol haline gelmiş başarılı yönetmen Buster Keaton'ın en başarılı bulduğum; gözde filmi.

• Jan 12, 2021

A true masterpiece of the silent era, an adorable production and an ingenious Buster Keaton!

• Nov 09, 2020

The stunts in this are so creative and crazy, parallels could be easily drawn between Buster Keaton and Jackie Chan.

• Oct 23, 2020

Generally brilliant. Timeless film, the comedy is dated but warm. The production and sound is top notch and the film is totally engrossing. I loved watching this. Deserves its status as a classic of cinema and it's for more than sentimental reasons. How he pulled off that steam train bridge scene is beyond me. Top class.

• Oct 23, 2020

Beautiful, pathetic, touching, funny. A Civil War epic, fluid, spacious and wry. They don't make cinema with these rhythms these days - it's populist stuff, giving multitudes of cinema goers jaw dropping entertainment and it's just better than whatever 3 hr+ Director's Cut nonsense that passes for art today. Proper.

• Sep 29, 2020

Fantastic entertainment, great silent movie for kids too.

Fantastic entertainment, great silent movie for kids too.