Gypsy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gypsy Reviews

July 4, 2016
A good version of the stage musical. Rosalind Russell is especially good as Mama Rose.
Antonius Block
½ June 21, 2016
Gypsy is a bit of a mixed bag. Rosalind Russell plays her part well and dominates the movie, at once a stage mom, independent woman, and a bohemian, but her singing voice is so deep and flat it seems like she's Tony Curtis in drag belting out her musical numbers. The idea of Natalie Wood playing the part of striptease artist Gypsy Rose Lee is intriguing and she's as cute as ever, but the movie is not balanced; for 2 hours we see her as "one of the boys" and nothing but sweet and innocent, then in a flash she's a fully independent and very successful stripper. The music by Styne and Sondheim includes some classics, "Let Me Entertain You" and "Everything is Coming Up Roses", but most of the performances (not just Russell's) are jarring on the ears - the notable exceptions being Wood's performance of "Little Lamb", and Paul Wallace's performance of "All I Need is the Girl".

Gypsy Rose's childhood is not unhappy, at least in this account, and in fact it's touching in some ways, though certainly different. She didn't get an education, and didn't even know her real age, as her mother needed her to remain under twelve well into her teens, because of child labor laws. We see her out of sync in the early group performances, and in the shadow compared to her younger sister June (Suzanne Cupito and later Ann Jillian), who her mother says has the "real talent". A funny scene shows her relegated to the front end of a cow costume, mooing out replies to June in one of their barnyard numbers. It's interesting to see this bygone world of vaudeville, and the Broadway number where Russell pantomimes June as she auditions is entertaining in its own right.

Unfortunately, there is a veneer of feel-good dishonesty to the entire movie. One exception, however, is stage manager and boyfriend Herbie's (Karl Malden's) shocked reaction to the mother's decision to have Rose fill in for a missing stripper. She is so stubborn, refusing to admit that it's over, and never taking no for an answer. The look on Malden and Wood's face when she pushes Rose into it instead of leaving that final night and settling down into quiet, married life is priceless. Her own daughter! She says there is an invisible barrier between the crowd and the stage, and that she'll be an artist - but Malden knows better, while Wood, resigned, simply begins changing into a hurriedly put together outfit. She comes out in a blue dress, of course immaculate, and transformed. Wood is seductive as she slinks around the stage, increasing in confidence over time until she's practically purring "Let Me Entertain You", but the performances are ridiculously tame, even for the period.

The movie needs something - editing (at 243 minutes it's too long), or more of an edge, or better vocal talent, or more honesty - but there is enough here to make it worth watching.

One 'quote', the lyrics to "Let Me Entertain You", my goodness:
"Let me entertain you
Let me make you smile
Let me do a few tricks
Some old and some new tricks
I'm very versatile

And if you're real good
I'll make you feel good
I want your spirits to climb
So let me entertain you
And we'll have a real good time, yes sir
We'll have a real good time"
December 25, 2014
Rosalind Russell was terribly miscast. The Mama Rose role should have went to Judy Garland, or better yet Ethel Merman.
December 20, 2014
More a tale of a Stage Mother's ambitions than anything. Stand out performances by Russell, Malden, Jillian, and Wood.
August 9, 2014
Colorful, relatively faithful adaptation of the Broadway show.
½ May 11, 2014
ok musical bio-pic of sorts
April 16, 2014
Rosalind Russell puts in a fine commanding performance for this steady and long screen musical that has a few iffy numbers in the first part.
½ April 16, 2014
Interesting, colourful and noisy version of the Sondheim/Styne/Laurents musical about a stage mother who pushes her children on to the stage to perform burlesque. Rosalind Russell is suitably brash and somewhat miscast as the mother. Natalie Wood plays Gypsy Rose Lee and gives her usual accomplished performance. This film looks fabulous with great art direction but does go on about 20 minutes too long.
February 25, 2014
It had me interested, but I didn't like how things turned out. I prefer a happier ending when I escape into the movies. I did take note of the excellent cinematography and the great acting (especially by Rosalind Russell). There were enough positives for me to see how some people can get a thrill out of Gypsy, but ultimately some people ain't me. (First and only viewing - 2/22/2014)
February 22, 2014
One my very favorite movies ever, I used to watch this movie with my Mother, now I watch it with my Partner. I have to Lines memorized. It has been showing on our local PBS. Bravo! I LOVE Natalie Wood and Rosalind Russell.
½ February 18, 2014
I prefer the Bette Midler version, but it's still a great film!
½ January 30, 2014
I adore Natalie Wood..
December 28, 2013
If West Side Story is the grandaddy of all musical movies, then Gypsy is the grand mammy. the overture itself sends your spine chilling a trueish story of stripper Gypsy Rose Lee. The performance by Natalie Wood and in particular Rosalind Russell are outstanding.
½ February 3, 2013
"Let me entertain you" - - - I love singing this to the kids - just for fun and see them run
½ January 27, 2013
only musical i can watch
½ September 22, 2012
Better than expected for an on-screen adaptation of a classic Broadway musical, but still leaving something to be desired from its principle cast.
August 16, 2012
A bit Hammy at times but good solid acting.
July 29, 2012
Though the title refers to Natalie Wood's character, this is Rosalind Russell's movie as she plays an overprotective show business mother who only wants her daughters to be successful performers. There are some great songs and dance numbers. Russell is really the reason to watch. She is funny, sweet, and a tough old lady. I kind of wanted more depth with her daughters, especially Wood's characters, but the music and performances surely make up for it.

Grade: A-
April 1, 2012
WOW! It was kind of amazing.
January 10, 2012
for some reason i love this movie...one of my favorite parts is the "gotta get a gimmick" song...everytime i walk around the house i sing it :D