The Hit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hit Reviews

September 29, 2016
The question is how to face death -- Stoic or fighter? An excellent contemplation of the common fates facing the prisoners and the executioners.
August 11, 2016
It's pretty good but I just didn't buy it, plotwise. Also, it's a little pretentious. No one recites poetry to their fucking hit man. This is what middleclass people think gangsters act like.
July 28, 2016
One of the most visionary crime films of all time. Taut-wire tension and a completely original storyline that frustrates everything you'd expect from either a road movie or a gangster film. Love this.
½ July 17, 2015
I would consider this film a gem and genre bending. It avoids most gangster film cliches and has a ambience to it thats unique. There is a lot of great subtle acting going on and of course wonderful performances by everyone. The picture is very stylish and the desolate setting compliments the pensive and fatalistic mood very well. I recommend but it's not upbeat.
½ July 5, 2015
I found most of the shots, story lines and characters at best lackluster.
It feels generic and boring. They always suggest something and never follow through with it.
The performances are the saving grace.
½ February 10, 2015
Sparse, strong and on the whole nicely played, but there are a few surprising weak patches.
½ January 31, 2015
Existentialist gangsters.... Need I say more? An examination of the human condition wrapped up in the trappings of a genre flick. It's my kind of movie, but some might feel cheated by the tense emotional and intellectual interplay between characters after a high-octane setup.
½ June 18, 2014
A simple and gritty story, which never feels too dark or unpleasant. Its funny and fast paced, with interesting dialog and characters.
April 23, 2014
Never there has been a such a brilliant performances by all the lead actors that everyone fail to overshadow the other ,This is a great movie with a very good musical score to go with the movie.
April 13, 2014
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
December 1, 2013
8/10 Meta-noire. Both archetypical and realistic. Visually perfect with some sequences knocking you down. Dialogs are something to be surprised (style of speech and the reason for this). Every detail has it's own meaning - think about it.
½ November 26, 2013
Superb acting from Hurt and Stamp is enough to smooth over any rough patches.
½ October 24, 2013
A good look into important matters, but without the ending some might want. It could have ended more happily, but it also could have ended in a much more dismal manner.
½ October 10, 2013
A mobster turned police informant is kidnapped at gunpoint ten years later with intentions to bring him to Paris to pay for his betrayal. What appears to be a mob film turns into more of a road trip movie as the kidnappers react to various situations and possible outcomes while heading to Paris. Ok film that never quite hit the spot with me.
½ June 16, 2013
This was like a slow burn film about a few hit men getting revenge on a man that sold out of pals ten years prior. The four leads are all pretty good, especially Stamp. He's so good you just hope he will find a way out of his kidnapping. Roth is good as the young douche-bag in training, with Hurt being the gut running the show. The woman on the poster here wasn't all that great, mostly as she just screams Spanish half the time.

I will say it did have a few moments of amazing suspense, like the balcony scene, or the gas station scene. Very little violence for this kind of genre film can lead to a slow film, but watch it for the acting, not really the death toll.

The one thing that nixed a good half star from my review was that Stamp is so good and confident the whole time, you keep waiting for this man to pull out some tricks to get away...and the ending is very very very much a massive let down.

Kind of a crazy good Latino score as well.
April 22, 2013
Antagonizing conceptions of life and death among criminals. An stylish and multi-layered examination of that moment of truth, of coming to terms with the vague but terrifying notion of parting this world. Fantastic performances by the leading triad. Probably Frears' best and most underrated cinematic venture.
½ March 22, 2013
A thriller that does not overuse any cliche (if there is any), and has a good emphasis in dialogue. Great cinematography; the darker theme in contrast with the sunny weather (although I think it was a bit detrimental at times), one of my favourite directors and three of my favourite actors; what's not to love? Ohh yes, the completely unpredictable ending. I was blown away!
½ February 22, 2013
A philosophical mob story, with remarkable performances from John Hurt, Tim Roth, and most of all, Terrence Stamp.