Hobson's Choice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hobson's Choice Reviews

July 23, 2016
Loved it!! An absolute delight! It made me smile over and over. I second another reviewer who said it makes the old seem wonderfully new.
January 30, 2016
Although it pretends to be about shop owner Laughton and his difficulties with his trio of daughters, David Lean's intimate little comedy is really about one daughter's triumphant break for freedom from the shackles of a drunken male patriarchy and her taking a simple shop's assistant with her. It's the humanity in this that counts and the actors are wonderful conveying just that.
½ November 13, 2015
"Are you asking me to give up my reasonable refreshment?" When Charles Laughton chases the moon while drunk, it is truly memorable!
½ January 20, 2015
Otra delicia visual de David Lean, Charles Laughton apabullante.
November 15, 2014
# 1 favorite movie of all time.
½ September 2, 2014
excellent movie + Charles Laughton plays a blinder
½ August 9, 2014
This is an absolute treasure from start to finish. Notable for early appearance of teenaged Prunella Scales. Set in the bleak, rain-soaked north of England. The wedding night scene, when Brenda De Banzie and John Mills are about to consummate their marriage, is classic of its type.

Show just what can be done with the very subtlest of suggestions. If only modern film makers could be so sophisticated -- no heavy breathing required at all.
August 2, 2014
Classic British film making. Proves you don't need explosions and profanity to keep audiences gripped. One of the best British actors in a great role.
½ July 17, 2014
Light comedy with Charles Laughton and John Mills given license to play changing characters at the opposite ends of the workers social scale. Not one of David Lean's true classics but the direction is solid enough.
March 14, 2014
One of the best movies ever!
½ November 15, 2013
Charles Laughton and the gang are fantastic in this film. Every single scene is priceless...!!!!
June 26, 2013
I found this quite enjoyable at first, but I fell asleep in the middle of it and paused the DVD. When I woke up, I seemed to lose interest in it a little bit and found it a bit boring!
June 11, 2013
Henry Hobson (played by Charles Laughton) owns a bootmaker shop in 1800s England. He has a soft spot for the pubs and has three daughters. He wishes for the two youngest to have a marriage, but doesn't want to pay the fee. He wants to hog the oldest Maggie for himself and the shop. Basically nothing goes Hobsons way. The most comedic element for me of this whole film was Charles Laughton himself. I just found him hilarious in his role of the wretched Hobson, and just his facial expressions could make me laugh. I never did reach the pity from him that I believe David Lean was trying to reach by the end, just because I couldn't take the character seriously. This had its ups and downs as far as how I viewed the film. I couldn't finish this in one sitting though. Not that the film is dull in pace, but it's not the most exciting adventure. Which is fine since it gives the movie a cozy feel. The characters outside of Hobson are one-dimensional. The three daughters are predictable. Willy developed to an extent, but the rest just stayed in place. This was in total a decent comedy, and David Leans first impression on me.
May 24, 2013
Wow, saw this for the first time today. Totally loved it, and definitely going to buy for my DVD collection.
November 30, 2012
Great movie with great drama. Charles Laughton was just great.
½ November 11, 2012
A real treat. Wonderful characters portrayed by true greats of British cinema. Laughton and Mills were so good but overshadowed by the powerful De Banzie. It was also a joy to see a very young and beautiful Prunella Scales.
October 14, 2012
Sweet, classic little film. Lean compared to most Leans. Laughton's drunken trip is pretty special for a movie of this era.
August 13, 2012
By gum! Really enjoyed this - a lighthearted and sweet romantic comedy from David Lean with great turns from Charles Laughton, John Mills and Brenda De Banzie.
July 14, 2012
One of my favorite themes--spinster finds love--in this great little comedy from David Lean. Charles Laughton is his blustery ham self, and John Mills is cute as a bug. What a find!
½ June 30, 2012
Absolutely wonderful film - totally charming