100 Girls Reviews

• Nov 10, 2020

Sophomoric. To call the story "deep" as some have is naïve. This film indulges the Nice Guy Fantasy trope and that's the mistake. What is Matthew at the end of it besides "nice?" Nice is uninteresting. Nice is naïve. Nice is not an identity and "nice" should not be rewarded.

• Sep 18, 2020

Really good watch, would watch again, and can recommend. I like the mystery aspect of this romantic comedy, while it is somewhat unrealistic, it's somewhat refreshing to have a legitimately "good" guy concept. Legitimately getting to know 100 girls is quite the effort, and while the actual mystery isn't so complex, it definitely lends to a lot of character work during his sleuthing. Jonathan Tucker looks like a poor man's Joseph Gordon Levitt, meant a complimentary as possible, but does really well leading the movie without carrying it. The ladies (and James DeBello) pick up plenty of weight and we see some familiar faces: Larisa Oleynik ("Secret World of Alex Mack", "10 Things I Hate About You"), Katherine Heigl ("27 Dresses"), Jaime Lee Pressly ("Mom", "My Name is Earl"), and Emmanuelle Chriqui ("You Don't Mess With the Zohan"). Cast is good, the writing is solid, the delivery is charming, but the concept lends to a lot of throw away material. This is probably true of most mysteries, but there is little one clue leads to the next in this: it's mostly 99 dead ends. They do some cute work at the end of the movie to alleviate some of that, but by then, the actual story is over, and even I checked out. Great little rom com, they let the jerk guy be a side character this time, and I think it is very much worth the watch.

• Jan 31, 2020

Your basic Rom-com with nothing about the movie really standing out.

Your basic Rom-com with nothing about the movie really standing out.

• Jan 19, 2020

Not a bad film. Make no mistake it's a comedy that actually does a great job in making its story smart as well as sophomoric. A college kid during a blackout loses his virginity to a mysterious beautiful woman, the next day he wakes up alone but begins a quest to find his fling. From there you understand that this isn't some lowly pervert wanting another shot at sex but a chance at love. This movie has some ridiculous moments but the only thing that keeps it from being terrible is wonderful acting out of its leads Jonathan Tucker, Emmanuelle Chriqui, as well as numerous gorgeous actresses such as Katherine Heigl and Jaime Pressly. C-

• Dec 02, 2017

Honestly just love this movie... among the first DVDs that I had ever bought... just makes me laugh... & think a bit, and has replay value to me.

• May 22, 2015

I came across this gem in early 2001 on DVD when a buddy of mine said, "Jay, how is it possible you haven't seen this movie?!" Director Michael Davis was somewhat a hero of mine ever since he cast Keri Russell in Eight Days a Week, a movie about a geek who tries to woo a beautiful girl by sitting under her window all summer long. Classic movie and the dialogue is very Dawson-esque. In my opinion, it's truly fantastic, but we're talking 100 Girls right now. Now Michael Davis brings you 100 Girls and I use the term 'now' loosely because it was made back in the year 2000. So here's a movie starring Jonathan Tucker (Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Hostage) as Matthew, a boy who shares an incredible night with the lady of his dreams. The problem is the night was spent in a dark elevator during a blackout. He never even sees her face. The next morning she took off so his quest starts with the women's dorm. So there's your story. Kinda lame by movie standards but for some reason here, it all works. Utilizing gross out measures like any good post American Pie teen love story, Davis conveys exactly what it's like to be a college freshman who just wants to get a date with the girl he thinks he loves. With tons of young stars on the brink of blowing up like Katherine Heigl, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Jaime Pressley, James DeBello and Marissa Rabisi - there's a lot of interesting characters and arch brought to life with real heart. It's relevancy really comes from the male dominated genre of seeing women through a dude's eyes. But when the story comes around, it boomerang's into some interesting archetypes of how Matthew really is a true feminist, seeing all of the women in the dorm as his equal instead of a quest. I may be reaching here, but I like when cinema takes stances and this film, as small and unseen as it is, does just that. Looks like your best bet for this one might just be on iTunes this time around. Enjoy!

• Jan 30, 2015

A very cheesey and sometimes visually awkward but definitely an enjoyable movie. Will add to my movie collection at some point

• Oct 01, 2014

KISMETIC DESTINY!?!?!?!!? Thank you, Captain Redundant! This was one of the STUPIDEST waste of more than 2 hours of my life I'll never get back!!

• Feb 15, 2014

Good movie if nothing better is on. Loved the 'yet unknown' stars

Good movie if nothing better is on. Loved the 'yet unknown' stars

• Alice S Super Reviewer
    Jan 18, 2014

Actually not terrible by the end. This early aughts horndog comedy starts with some terrible and trite stereotypes about college guys, college girls, and what they'd do for bad college sex - all layered with an incessantly monologuing leading doofus. Matthew, the doofus character starts arcing half an hour in though, and his hopelessly romantic quest for finding The One becomes more complex and endearing as he starts earnestly exploring the tensions between the sexes instead of just subscribing to his dude-brah roommate's defense mechanism of misogyny or letting his misguided Women's Studies professor blame men for all manners of perceived patriarchal sins. The movie still pats its male writer and character on the back for playing the hero against sexual assault and for being the first to speak of gender equality and understanding (in fair albeit elementary terms). Even though Matthew's climactic speech is very sweet (filled with both stereotypical yet comforting gender cues and genuine promises about commitment and respect), traditional gender roles are still in place: the dude makes a sweeping declaration of love, and the gaggle of girls swoons. The supporting cast of ladies starts off without personality or each with only one, odd defining quirk, but the characters played by Larisa Oleynik, Katherine Heigl, Jaime Pressly, Marissa Ribisi, and a [Ben Wa] ballsy and sensual Emmanuelle Chriqui (whom I thought was a young contemporary of Nina Dobrev's but actually isn't), eventually round out the varying levels of estrogen.