Mannequin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mannequin Reviews

½ March 3, 2018
It's a quintessential 80's film that could fit right in with the current times. A Struggling young man finds love with a woman only he knows about, everybody else around thinks he's crazy, but he's just crazy in love. Mannequin, the prequel to modern Sex Dolls.
January 17, 2018
Just fun. GREAT cast!!
January 17, 2018
It's a 4 out of 5 due to nostalgia. As an 80's kid this was a gem when viewing films during that time.
½ January 17, 2018
This is the most 80s movie ever, and there are so many things wrong with it. But I still watch it and I still enjoy it.
December 7, 2017
Loved this wonderful romantic comedy from the 80's. It was a funny, and clever movie. Great acting, Cattrall is beautiful and good in the movie. Clever ideas, and funny scenes. Awesome.
September 20, 2017
It works, just barely.
August 24, 2017
Andrew McCarthy was in this AND "Weekend at Bernie's", yet no Kennedy Center Honor. Thanks Obama lol.
June 25, 2017
Enjoyable. Or at least met my expectations.
March 3, 2017
loved this movie even tho it's a classic.the best of the films
½ December 31, 2016
Typical 80s film. Cheesy but good.
November 7, 2016
A silly and funny classic of the 80's. I love it!
½ August 1, 2016
The most pivotal role of Andrew McCarthy's career.
½ July 28, 2016
This movie is ridiculous. But it's also sincere and sweet, and the cast works well together. I probably gave a 1/2 star out of nostalgia, but I don't care. I loved this movie as a kid, and its charm has held up surprisingly well.
July 6, 2016
Kinda charming, but because of some of the sexual innuendo presented in this flick, it should have been rated PG-13! Kim Cattrall was drop dead gorgeous, wow!
½ June 25, 2016
Mannequin is a fun little romantic comedy that takes an impossible situation, that surely many people have probably dreamed of, and turns it into a reality. It's quite corny at times but overall very enjoyable and quite well cast. This is Andrew McCarthy in one of the roles that made him a downtrodden 80's legend. A definite gem for those who like their love stories in an 80's wrapper. Kim Cattrall is a doll (pun intended) as the sexy life-loving mannequin with some famous ex-boyfriends! There is also excellent comic support from Meshach Taylor as 'Hollywood'. Seriously though, this movie has many of the classic elements that personify the movies of the era. What is amazing is that out of such a hopelessly 'critic-unfriendly' mixture of slapstick humour and a sickly love story, can come a movie with genuine heart and soul that is a very definite slice of movie magic. Despite of being predictable and clichéd as well as being illogical and has numerous plot holes,the film provided a lot of entertainment to many people during its theatrical release and it still continues to do at present as it has become a one of the most memorable films of the 80's. This movie is full of the pop culture from the time, and the synth dance music that gave it the perfect atmosphere for a fun Saturday afternoon getaway. If you allow the dated '80's elements to become part of the fun, Mannequin is enjoyable cheese.

VERDICT: "High-Quality Stuff" - [Positive Reaction] This is a rating to a movie I view as very entertaining and well made, and definitely worth paying the full price at a theatre to see or own on DVD. It is not perfect, but it is definitely excellent. (Films that are rated 3.5 or 4 stars)
June 18, 2016
Incredible soundtrack - great movie
May 9, 2016
It may not have gotten good critic reviews, but this is a funny movie and has been a favorite of mine since I was 6.
½ February 24, 2016
it was a fairly hilarious movie and it had an amazing cast but the premise to the film was very dumb and very dull
January 30, 2016
Dumb and unfunny. It's one of the stupidest romantic comedies of all time which can be forgiven only slightly given that it was the 80's.
½ January 4, 2016
This a quintessentially 80s rom-com. Technically speaking, this is not what one would call a good movie or anything of the sort, but I think it gets by on a sort of nostalgic 80s charm. Honestly, I can imagine myself not really liking this film if I managed to watch in the 80s as I'd have probably been bombarded with films like this all the time. But, as an anachronism, something that I don't see very often and that captures an entire different era and their style, it's a perfectly fine little movie. Again one that is probably terrible if you really look at it objectively, but a lot of people won't. This is the type of movie that you watch when you're in a shitty mood and you want something to cheer you up. Not that I was in a shitty mood, but it's that type of movie and the audience they were going for when they made this doesn't really care if the film is very poorly made, objectively speaking. That's not to say there isn't some good stuff in the film. James Spader, for example, is pretty great in this movie as the sycophant who wants to do everything in his power to screw with the good guys and force them to sell the store to BJ Wert. The characters in this film are clearly defined, they're black and white, not shades of gray. You have the predictably evil 80s villains and you have the goody two-shoes, never do anything wrong, 'heroes'. And there's obviously the obligatory 80s music montages. Two of them to be exact. While the film is a little cheesy and at times bland, I think Andrew McCarthy and Kim Cattrall, who looked absolutely stunning here, had some solid chemistry. Again, they're like the archetype of an 80s movie couple. Meshach Taylor as Hollywood Montrose. Though this character is more of a gay stereotype than anything else, but, really, I though Meshach, at the very least, made the character entertaining to watch, though he could be a bit obnoxious at times. GW Bailey, outside of James Spader, might have been the most effective at his role. So yea, there's not much else to say about this really. It's not a great movie, it's not even a good one, by today's standards or even 80s standards, but even with that, there's a certain charm about this movie that makes watching them a relatively easy, enjoyable and painless experience, even if you wouldn't call the movie good.