Mannequin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mannequin Reviews

November 7, 2016
A silly and funny classic of the 80's. I love it!
½ August 1, 2016
The most pivotal role of Andrew McCarthy's career.
½ July 28, 2016
This movie is ridiculous. But it's also sincere and sweet, and the cast works well together. I probably gave a 1/2 star out of nostalgia, but I don't care. I loved this movie as a kid, and its charm has held up surprisingly well.
July 6, 2016
Kinda charming, but because of some of the sexual innuendo presented in this flick, it should have been rated PG-13! Kim Cattrall was drop dead gorgeous, wow!
½ June 25, 2016
Mannequin is a fun little romantic comedy that takes an impossible situation, that surely many people have probably dreamed of, and turns it into a reality. It's quite corny at times but overall very enjoyable and quite well cast. This is Andrew McCarthy in one of the roles that made him a downtrodden 80's legend. A definite gem for those who like their love stories in an 80's wrapper. Kim Cattrall is a doll (pun intended) as the sexy life-loving mannequin with some famous ex-boyfriends! There is also excellent comic support from Meshach Taylor as 'Hollywood'. Seriously though, this movie has many of the classic elements that personify the movies of the era. What is amazing is that out of such a hopelessly 'critic-unfriendly' mixture of slapstick humour and a sickly love story, can come a movie with genuine heart and soul that is a very definite slice of movie magic. Despite of being predictable and clichéd as well as being illogical and has numerous plot holes,the film provided a lot of entertainment to many people during its theatrical release and it still continues to do at present as it has become a one of the most memorable films of the 80's. This movie is full of the pop culture from the time, and the synth dance music that gave it the perfect atmosphere for a fun Saturday afternoon getaway. If you allow the dated '80's elements to become part of the fun, Mannequin is enjoyable cheese.

VERDICT: "High-Quality Stuff" - [Positive Reaction] This is a rating to a movie I view as very entertaining and well made, and definitely worth paying the full price at a theatre to see or own on DVD. It is not perfect, but it is definitely excellent. (Films that are rated 3.5 or 4 stars)
June 18, 2016
Incredible soundtrack - great movie
May 9, 2016
It may not have gotten good critic reviews, but this is a funny movie and has been a favorite of mine since I was 6.
½ February 24, 2016
it was a fairly hilarious movie and it had an amazing cast but the premise to the film was very dumb and very dull
January 30, 2016
Dumb and unfunny. It's one of the stupidest romantic comedies of all time which can be forgiven only slightly given that it was the 80's.
½ January 4, 2016
This a quintessentially 80s rom-com. Technically speaking, this is not what one would call a good movie or anything of the sort, but I think it gets by on a sort of nostalgic 80s charm. Honestly, I can imagine myself not really liking this film if I managed to watch in the 80s as I'd have probably been bombarded with films like this all the time. But, as an anachronism, something that I don't see very often and that captures an entire different era and their style, it's a perfectly fine little movie. Again one that is probably terrible if you really look at it objectively, but a lot of people won't. This is the type of movie that you watch when you're in a shitty mood and you want something to cheer you up. Not that I was in a shitty mood, but it's that type of movie and the audience they were going for when they made this doesn't really care if the film is very poorly made, objectively speaking. That's not to say there isn't some good stuff in the film. James Spader, for example, is pretty great in this movie as the sycophant who wants to do everything in his power to screw with the good guys and force them to sell the store to BJ Wert. The characters in this film are clearly defined, they're black and white, not shades of gray. You have the predictably evil 80s villains and you have the goody two-shoes, never do anything wrong, 'heroes'. And there's obviously the obligatory 80s music montages. Two of them to be exact. While the film is a little cheesy and at times bland, I think Andrew McCarthy and Kim Cattrall, who looked absolutely stunning here, had some solid chemistry. Again, they're like the archetype of an 80s movie couple. Meshach Taylor as Hollywood Montrose. Though this character is more of a gay stereotype than anything else, but, really, I though Meshach, at the very least, made the character entertaining to watch, though he could be a bit obnoxious at times. GW Bailey, outside of James Spader, might have been the most effective at his role. So yea, there's not much else to say about this really. It's not a great movie, it's not even a good one, by today's standards or even 80s standards, but even with that, there's a certain charm about this movie that makes watching them a relatively easy, enjoyable and painless experience, even if you wouldn't call the movie good.
½ December 27, 2015
Innocuously entertaining 80s comedy about a mannequin who comes to life, Kim Cattrall, who's really and ancient Egyptian princess who didn't want to be forced into marriage and wished to be in the future. Andrew McCarthy is the store window dresser who falls in love with the mannequin-come-to-life, although he's the only one who can see Cattrall and everyone else sees him making out with a store mannequin. Hilarity ensures. The humor is all pretty banal, but McCarthy is his usual likable self and Cattrall is fun and very pretty as the title mannequin. You also get Estelle Getty (you know, Sophia from "The Golden Girls") James Spader (in an uncharacteristically broad comic role as a nebbish store manager), G.W. Bailey, and Meshach Taylor as Hollywood. This film may not really be a three and a half star film, but it's likable enough and the 80s nostalgia factor weighed heavy for me, right up to the final where they play Starship's "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now."
½ December 26, 2015
If you were looking for a film that encapsulated everything wrong with 1980's pop culture, then you needn't look further. In fact, you only need to look at the poster for the film in order to get some idea of the vanity that it represents, but if you actually watch the film, you'll find that the look is only a small part of the plastic nightmare. Only a minute into the film do things start going hideously wrong. Apparently the premise involves a woman from Ancient Egypt who prays to the gods to escape an unwanted marriage, but this prologue is riddled with anachronisms. The writer clearly didn't do any research, because not only does the film assume that women in ancient Egypt acted the same way they did in 1987, but also that they spoke in English with American accents. Of course, this is because rom-com writers never do any research, and have a collective assumption that the viewers are morons, but the prologue is the least of our problems. After the insultingly stupid prologue, the film treats as to an animated title sequence. It's the same strategy used in the film Grease, and it's just as inefficacious in this film, if not more so because the animation style shown here looks cheap and outdated, and doesn't seem to have any relation with the actual plot of the film. The story itself is a marathon of rom-com clichés, but somehow the film comes across as even creepier version of Splash. The story also makes no logical sense whatsoever, and only seems to raise an uncomfortable number of questions, mainly the question of "why on Earth would anyone be sexually attracted to a mannequin?" That's the central question, and that the writer seems to have no interest in answering that. What follows are the ninety of the most unbearably stupid and unspeakably lousy minutes of movie history, featuring all manner of stock characters, and all the ugliest examples of popular 80's fashion. For a movie made on a moderate budget, the film looks as though the producers used every cheap production trick in the book, even going so low as to use cheap transition wipes throughout the film. The actors themselves weren't all bad, but the dialogue is extremely clumsy, and the script is a bigger joke than the many failed jokes you're bound to find in the film. I'd say that the music was the only tolerable part of the movie, but then again, the kind of music you hear in Mannequin was absurdly common in the 1980's, and I'm beginning to suspect that it was commonly employed in movies of lesser quality, some of which practically survive in the consciousness of public culture only because of the music. Sadly, Mannequin is one of those, but that's the more merciful way of looking at it. This film must have been garbage when it was new, but it's far worse than simply that. It's a soulless product of the brand of committee thinking that dominated the 1980's. It's not just horribly written, it's shoddily produced, and so inanely stupid that it might cause your brain to melt in boredom. However I say it, it's one of the worst movies ever made.
December 11, 2015
Silly adventurous and sometime ridiculous role playing make this an entertaining movie.
November 16, 2015
The years have not been entirely kind to "Mannequin" I must say. Sure, it's got an iconic character in Hollywood Montrose and some classic 80's music (especially the theme to the movie from Starship "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now"). It also has a pretty great James Spader performance and some 80's mojo from Andrew McCarthey along with a skinny 80's Kim Cattrall. So there is a lot going for it, but watching this in 2015 just doesn't truly do it justice. Still a great dose of nostalgia but it may find a hard time fitting in in 2015.
November 16, 2015
This is just embarrassing. Not even funny by accident.
½ September 3, 2015
A terrible eighties movie. Andrew McCarthy and Kim Cattrall are a bizarre pairing and one that doesn't have a lot of chemistry. It's a stupid concept that involves a boy and his romance with a mannequin. The only good thing about the movie was the awesome Starship song "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now". (First and only viewing - 9/2/2015)
½ August 24, 2015
It's insane so crazy it's hard to look away
July 12, 2015
I love this film, it's really cute and a feel good movie. I'm not giving it more then three stars because sometimes its "really" cheesy. I know that it's an 80s film but some things need to remain in the 80s. At least their acting is on point (main actors that is...the other actors make me want to run to my room and slam the door shut)
½ June 14, 2015
a fun comedy if you turn your brain off which may be hard for some, still a childhood favorite of mine.
½ June 13, 2015
A legendary movie from the 80's that is possibly a contender for most watched film (by me) of all time. With its light hearted script, cheesy one liners, and horrendously camp undertone throughout, it makes for one of those so bad, it's good type films. It's completely unique with its one of a kind story about a regular guy that falls in love with a mannequin that only comes to life as a real woman in his presence. Naturally this leads into plenty of uncomfortable situations when a third party enters the room to find him cavorting with what then turns into a wooden figurine. This movie is awash with 80's faces that perfect their tongue in cheek roles and deliver their innuendos with aplomb. A review just wouldn't be right without mentioning the icing on the camp cake here, which is given in the form of Meshach Taylor's Hollywood. There is nothing subtle about this character and the laughs are in full force with the eccentricity of this personality. How he didn't become an on screen legend is beyond me, but some mysteries can never be resolved. The soundtrack is jam packed full of 80's Rock ballads, in particular Starship's chart topping 'Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now', which further compliments the main spectacle. It's very much likeable to the humour of Police Academy, especially with the inclusion of Felix who also stars as a bumbling protector of society in that too. There's not a role that doesn't compliment the free flowing giggles in this and most of the lines are engraved into my brain and ready for reciting at any point they may come in handy. Of course I get several dodgy looks from people who haven't seen the movie to understand them, but I can always rely on my brother to relate to it if needs be. Likely to be the only person in history to rate this above one star, but there's no accounting for others taste.