Missing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Missing Reviews

July 21, 2016
Missing is a film about a true story of two family members trying to find one of their own in a tough and cruel system in the southern part of the world. Jack Lemmon and Sissy spacek tell one hell of a story that had serious effects on all their lives.
Lemon and Spacek play Edmund and beth horman. Beth is the wife of her husband Charlie horman while Edmund is charlie's father. while out in chile during the 73 chilean coup Charlie mysteriously disappears and thus brings Edmund to south America to look for him along with his wife who was already living there. The two of them find out how dangerous the system is over there and how one wrong move could screw everything they were trying to do over there. the search they embark on leads to shocking revelations.
very interesting film set under the Chilean coup backdrop. pretty well adapted story and script. the relationship between ed and beth in this film was slightly dysfunctional to say the least but they both had the same objective and so they knew they had to make it work together. someone who knows Charlie all his life working with someone who only knew the adult Charlie very intriguing to watch
jack lemmon plays a father who out of duty comes to find his son but he also was seemingly less supportive of his sons decisions. he really doesn't care much about the state of the country and how to play the game down there .Makes you wonder at times why he came in the first place. However again he wants his son back because he's his father. This all Made for a very multi dimensional character. sissy spacek is a little too old even here to play the wife in this film. however this woman she plays is very smart and she tryna play her cards right but she knows that time is running out and things need to happen to find her husband
Really sinister music and good cinematography here. liked good directing. it's terrible what happened to this man. I probably woulda done the same as edmund if I was in his shoes. Powerful, riveting and incredible all of which I would use to describe this film. go see it.
½ March 26, 2016
A good, if not great thriller that explores themes of government corruption and lies. While the performances are fantastic, the film is muddled and very little actually happens - making the whole thing seem pointless in the end.
½ March 20, 2016
The true story of a man who goes missing in Chile at the time of the Pinochet revolution. I would normally think that this would be a great story to make a film about but I don't think they did it justice. It is so slow and repetitive, perhaps they wanted to project the frustration of the family on the audience too. I found it quite boring.
½ January 19, 2016
Holy shit was this movie angering! Great performances by both lead actors. Makes u hold ur breath time and time again as they search for Charlie. An important story worth seeing! This movie is great to see if u like politics, as it goes over the chile coup. Showing what we take for granted in U.S. And also how the U.S. Govt has done some horrible things. This movie showcases everything wrong with our U.S. Govt-selfishly intervening in other countries affairs to their detriment and then trying to cover it all up and take no accountability. Of course, Henry Kissinger was involved in this predicament. I feel so bad for Charlie and his family. Sad movie based on a true story. Honestly anyone could have made Charlie's mistakes, I knew it was at the stadium be of how the dad couldn't talk at first-he knew in his heart this is where it had happened. I'm glad this movie has come out despite lawsuits and banning. The truth always does come out eventually.
July 26, 2015
Costa-Gavras' powerful, intense drama about disappearance of a young idealistic American journalist, Charles Horman, played terrifically by John Shea, during the Chilean political coup in September 1973. Director Costa-Gavras has created another political thriller which brilliantly portrays the day-to-day fear and terror of a military siege. Beautifully moving Oscar nominated performances by the late great Jack Lemmon as Charles's loving conservative businessman father, and Sissy Spacek as Charles's bewildered and determined wife, along with an excellent Oscar winning screenplay by Costa-Cavras and skillful cinematography by Ricardo Aronovich make this memorable film a solid cinematic work. Nominated 4 Academy Awards including Best Picture. Highly Recommended.
July 2, 2015
A really interesting drama with great performances from Jack Lemmon and Sissy Spacek. It is interesting for a while and then dips into boring territory mid way but overall it is well written, has great sound design, and a great supporting cast
½ June 18, 2015
Very good film, both directed and acted. Talented actors as Spacek and, of course Jack Lemmon, the legend, made it as plausible as possible.
February 16, 2015
all too common a sad experience
½ November 16, 2014
July 27, 2014
Despite flaws in narrative, this is a powerful film...
July 17, 2014
Just got done watching this, such a powerful film. Sissy Spacek and especially Jack Lemmon give supremely powerful performances. I've been catching more and more of Jack Lemmon's performances over the last few weeks, and more and more I'm coming to the conclusion he was the best actor of his generation. He was the Jimmy Stewart of the previous generation, and the Tom Hanks the [2nd?] generation after him. The film did it's job and made me personally angry at our own government, and helped to make what often results during wartime into a human being rather than an otherwise anonymous "statistical casualty," even if mainly shown through his widow and father. Why have I barely ever heard of this movie? It should be talked about more, especially during the overall weak 80's.
½ May 30, 2014
Tenia una deuda pendiente con esta pelicula. Por fin saldada. Emotiva y magnetica. Jack Lemmon y Sissy Spacek impecables. Bellisimo tema musical de Vangelis. En Netflix.
May 24, 2014
watched this movie as a child...stilll gives me the same chill it did the first time I watched it
½ April 21, 2014
The film brims over with great performances and beautiful cinematography and yet it's not as involving as you may have wanted it to be. In fact I marveled that this was the same Costa-Gavras who had us on the edge of our seats with Z and STATE OF SIEGE. It's still very much worth your time for Jack Lemmon and, especialy, Sissy Spacek.
March 11, 2014
A near excellent political thriller set in unnamed South American country amid civil unrest. During a curfew under martial law, a young journalist goes missing and his wife and father unite to discover his whereabouts and discover truths about America's involvement into the military coup.
The performances from Jack Lemmon & Sissy Spacek make this a gripping watch and the taut direction and screenplay by Constantin Costa-Gavras cannot be faulted.
Based on a true story.
December 27, 2013
This is likely the only treatment of the Chilean civil war brought to American audiences. Unfortunately we never confirm that it is indeed Chile that we are talking about. It is a tale of trying to take control what is beyond our control. Lemmon in particular shines as usual.
October 23, 2013
Lemmon and Spacek make a credible and moving father/daughter-in-law pair in this haunting political thriller.
½ September 2, 2013
It is an interesting story, but one that doesn't translate well to film. The only things the films manages to convey is the desperation of the family in their attempts to find Charles and the mysterious nature of the government officials who almost always never help and just get in the way because they are obviously hiding something. Jack Lemmon and Sissy Spacek are pretty good as the father and wife of missing journalist Charles Horman. The story does drag a little bit in the beginning but a good pace is kept throughout. The film addresses the question of where is Charles, but it's rather anti-climactic and political intrigue of the whole situation is covered nearly enough as it could have been. The film is based on a true story and features some narrative elements that don't quite work on screen. The direction is only marginally visually interesting, but mostly it's pretty tame. The film's overall tone and look did remind me of "Midnight Express". Recommended for all conspiracy theorists.
August 10, 2013
The film was a little rough in terms of the screenplay (certainly not the story of course!) and editing, but the performances were all on the money. While I may not have fallen in love with the film, it did incense me to the unforgivable nature of our government sometimes and for that I would say the film did it's job.
August 7, 2013
Many have not seen this treasure of a movie starring Jack Lemmon which could be his best performance ever. Lemmon stars as Ed Horman who helps his daughter-in-law played by Sissy Spacek search for his son who went missing during the Pinochet coup in Chile in 1973, though the country isn't exactly named. Horman's journey to find his son is indeed painful and the (American) bureaucratic mess he finds is sickening, along with the U.S. role in the coup itself.