Murder! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Murder! Reviews

½ August 10, 2016
Not a classic, but a well-made, exciting whodunnit. Hitchcock's formula in fetus form.
July 1, 2016
Murder! is a very disappointing and weak movie that has a solid plot, a good turn from Herbert Marshall and a memorable ending, but the tone is very comedic and odd, there aren't enough trademark directorial touches here, the film is quite dated and offensive in its villain character and it is just never really exciting or engaging. It is definitely one of the weakest films from Hitchcock.
½ June 25, 2015
Very odd, the opening 20mins or so is flat out brilliant and you think you've found a real early Htchcock hidden gem. From the deliberation scenes onwards though in the court it literally falls off a cliff in terms of quality and results in total tedium from then on.
½ January 13, 2015
There're some interesting ideas in here, but they are not consistently applied or followed through. The main conceit that is how life is not a play, yet the film is deliberately constructed to resemble one; this could have been really clever, but unfortunately it is executed in the style of a pantomime marred with overacting and farce. If better produced the plot would nicely fit a format such as Alfred Hitchcock Presents, but 20 years too early for this requires 100 minutes to be padded out with tedious fluff.
½ October 12, 2014
Not as good as Blackmail but still a good early Hitchcock. Handle Fane is a great, guilt ridden character.
½ October 11, 2014
A crucial piece in Hitchcock's development and you can see where he got many of his tricks from. Must have been a crazy show to have seen back in the day given the suggestive material and homicide.
July 10, 2014
La même année que le médiocre Junon & le Paon, Alfred Hitchcock livre avec Murder un bon thriller judiciaire dans lequel brillent Herbert Marshall et Norah Baring. Cependant, le film tourne très vite en rond après une grosse heure, une fois qu'on quitte le Palais de Justice pour suivre le personnage principal dans son enquête vue et revue (déjà à cette époque). C'est dommage car on reconnait encore le talent indéniable d'Hitchcock pour instaurer de la tension et du rythme à des scènes pourtant toutes simples. Mais clairement, on est loin du film incontournable.
½ June 23, 2014
I'm not sure I'm totally satisfied, but hey, that's life.
½ March 17, 2013
Kind of boring for Hitchcock, at least I thought so. There wasn't snappy dialogue, or an awesome female character like there usually is in early Hitchcock. Other than a few bits of weird directing, I probably wouldn't have guessed it was him. I'm just less than impressed.
January 21, 2013
The second Hitchcock talkie has a script full of imperfections but nevertheless interesting elements that would be reused and influence the renowned master of suspense in later better works.
½ September 26, 2012
One of Hitchcock's best early thrillers.
½ May 25, 2012
Hitchcock's early work of "Murder!" had potential to be among one of his bet films. The time spent in the jury with the 12 individuals was vigorously entertaining. When it came down to the private investigation though it became very slow moving. It felt like the movie was way over stretched. The ending became obvious about 25 minutes beforehand. It's not one of his great works but it's not awful. I really do have mixed feelings on this. On one hand it had a lot of great moments that I'll remember on the other it was very boring for the second half of the film. So I'm going 50/50 and giving 2.5
May 25, 2012
hitch's third talkie takes awhile to get going....but it really picks up starting with percy's "reading" for the play......staged by marshall.......and finally culminating in the dramatic and fantastic circus scene..........
½ April 25, 2012
I found myself staring at huge pile of Alfred Hitchcock dvds. I chose to watch his 1930 film "Murder!". Its a story about a female circus performer who is sentenced to death for murder. She had been found with the body and her clothes were bloodied. The film lingers around her trial and the jury deliberation where one of her circus co-workers has his doubts about her guilt and sets upon finding the real killer. "Murder!" is Hitchcock's 3rd talkie film and despite it's age, it showcases so much style and foreshadows much of his work to followed. It's laced with humour and I was surprised with some of the things he managed to get away with for its time. Even the title is provocative for 1930. The film does lag in the middle and 105 minutes is long, but it all comes together in one fantastic and shocking finale. Hitchcock was truly one of a kind.
April 9, 2012
Hitchcock is the messiah.
December 31, 2011
This early Hitch effort concerns a juror who, after originally deciding to vote guilty in a trial of a woman accused of murder, has seconds thoguhts about his decision and decides to investigate the case on his own, trying to get something done before the execution can be carried on.

Even though the plot isn't really ss great as it coiuld have been, or as gripping and involving, I wasn't completely bored, just underwhelmed. he film does have some okay music though, and some actually pretty good camera work and cinematography, good editing, and okay set design.

All in all, I think had I not seen so many other film before this one I'd have been more on it's wavelength, but I do have this to say about all of Hitch's early films: no matter how each fares individually, all of them are worthy when looked at as a whole since they give a neat look at the evolution of a filmmaker in his formative years who would end up becoimg one of the greatest, most important, and influential directors of all time.
September 29, 2011
It's a's probably worth watching
June 20, 2011
Horribly paced and horrendously acted. Murder is Hitchcock's worst film. I can't really say much about it. I figured out the ending within the first five minutes and the dialogue was so bad it made my ears hurt. Do not waste your time with this film. Hitchcock may have been the master, but even the master has his bad ones. To be fair this was one of his first.
½ March 8, 2011
Hitchcock's first sound film. The script was very simple and has not aged well. As a movie it does not hang together all that well, but it is interesting for some very unusual class-based humour and for the seeds of Hitchcock's future greatness as a director and cinematographer. Students of cinema and Hitchcock completists should see this. For the rest of you, it's entirely optional.