Nighthawks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nighthawks Reviews

August 24, 2016
This is the kind of movie that would be perfect for a remake.
½ July 30, 2016
Stallone in his first cop role has to be one of his best, Not action wise but performance wise, Stallone and his partner have a cat and mouse chase with a terrorist nothing new but very well told and well acted and Rutger Hauer was a brilliant villian, There wasn't a great deal of shoot outs but some nice chases, The ending was good even if it was a little silly but still a great film.
½ February 18, 2016
Laughably ridiculous police thriller starring Sylvester Stallone and a apparently underused Rutger Hauer. The production problems and heavy editing must've had a large effect in the inconsistent final product.
January 26, 2016
Rutger Hauer's performance here is nearly on par with his performance in The Hitcher, and the biggest reason I gave it 4 stars.
December 14, 2015
More timely and appropriate. A textbook on how to deal with international terrorists. America, take a lesson. Sylvester Stallone does a great job and Rutger Hauer is as usual, brilliant. Also, Nigel Davenport's character as terrorist expert is right on the money. Don't miss this one. Very appropriate in these troubled times.
December 10, 2015
Bruce Malmuth's riveting suspenseful cat-and-mouse thriller, concerning two New York City undercover police officers Deke DaSilva and Matthew Fox, played by marvelously Sylvester Stallone and Billy Dee Williams, they are reassigned to a special unit run by a Interpol terrorist expert nicely played by the late Nigel Davenport, who is tracking a ruthless, cold-blooded international terrorist known as Wulfgar, played brilliantly by Holland's top actor Rutger Hauer in his impressive American film debut, Hauer is absolutely chilling in the role and matches Stallone scene for scene, as a matter of fact his villain completely dominates this exciting police thriller, he is a crafty and murderous fiend who rationalized his actions and has no problem blowing a department store full innocent victims including children for his cause. There are plenty of hair-raising moments including a terrific chase through the Manhattan subway and a showdown on the Roosevelt island tramway car high above the East River. Astute direction by Malmuth, with outstanding supporting performances by Joe Spinell, Persis Kahambatta and Lindsay Wagner. A sensational cop thriller from the early 80's. Highly Recommended.
December 8, 2015
Not very good, but watchable. Rutger Hauer's performance is pretty much the only highlight. Everything else is fairly blasà (C).
October 28, 2015
This buddy cop feature appears to be banking on Rambo and Lando making for good leads, and although this isn't a very original film, it works as an action film that isn't completely mindless. To be honest, the film does seem like it might have been a bit retrograde for its time (it often comes across as a mid-70's film despite it being made in 1981), though I never thought of that as necessarily a bad thing. As one could expect from almost any action film, the film's story isn't much, but at the very least it works. The acting is pretty good, and there's quite a bit more personality flourishing in the film's cast than I thought there would be. One scene in the film shows Stallone's character arguing with the lead inspector over violence the nature of the police officer in a near complete reversal of the Dirty Harry scenario, where the main character's superior is the one who's eager to resort to violence. The film's overall style is a bit like watching an episode of Kojak if the production values were upgraded significantly, complete with the funky soundtrack and somewhat bleak city look. Although it's not quite as much action scenes as it might have needed, it's an effective action-thriller that, at the very least, passes as pure entertainment.
September 26, 2015
Ecrit par le scénariste de The Warriors, Nighthawks est un polar tendu et sec typique des 80's, opposant un Sylvester Stallone barbu plutôt pacifiste et un Billy Dee Williams dans sa grande époque à un Rutger Hauer terroriste international extrêmement flippant. Le film, qui a pourtant vu 2 réalisateurs différents (et 3 si l'on compte Stallone, en fin de tournage), ne souffre d'aucune baisse de rythme ni changement maladroit de ton et reste particulièrement haletant, car très court et remuant. Il n'y aurait presque rien à redire si seulement le film avait eu un peu plus d'ambition...
½ February 11, 2015
Gripping story that obviously makes a terrorist in NYC invincible. Up to a point. Until reluctant Stallone enters the battle to rid the grip of this beast. I found the movie full of action and full of Stallone. The villain is convincing. The moral must be watch who you associate with as it could be a deadly one.
½ September 30, 2014
Hauer vs Stallone at the beginning of their prime is a classic in a battle of personalities.....the look on Rutger's face as Sly turns around at the end is priceless.
½ April 24, 2014
Cool ages and a very watchable film..
April 5, 2014
wow ummmmn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is such a great movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie......i think that sylvester stallone, bille dee williams, rutger hauer, nigel davenport (.R.I.P.), persis khambatta (.R.I.P.), play good roles/parts thorughout this movie......i think that the director of this action/adventure/thriller movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really suspenseful movie 2 watch as the director keeps you on the edges of your seats throughout this movie......i think that walter mathews (.R.I.P.), was good throughout this movie as the commissioner throughout this movie......i think that jamie gillis (.R.I.P.), was good throughout this movie......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie......i think that joe spinell (.R.I.P.), was great throughout this movie as the Lt. Munafo throughout this movie........its got good car chases throughout this movie......i think that Howard Stein (.R.I.P.), was good throughout this movie as the Disco Manager......its got good fight scenes throughout this movie.......its got good car chases throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really suspenseful thriller movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie.......i think that Rutger Hauer ... Heymar "Wulfgar" Reinhardt/Eric was so great throughout this movie as the bad guy as he is a really good actor....i think that this is such a cult classics thriller movie 2 watch its such a really suspenseful movie 2 watch....

The London department store seen being blown up at the beginning of the film was actually Arding & Hobbs, located at Clapham Junction, SW11 - which at the time of filming belonged to the Allders group. The store still exists today, but is now owned by Debenhams. During the 2011 England Riots the shop again had its windows smashed.

i think that this is such a cult classics movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie i think that this is such a brilliant movie 2 watch its got a good cast throughout this movie it is such a really suspenseful movie 2 watch as the director keeps you on the edges of your seat thorughout this movie its such a brilliant movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie.......
½ February 24, 2014
This film is so bad that more than an action movie is a comedy. You need to see only for the final scene. Its hilarious
½ February 18, 2014
The narrative, when it isn't defying logic, is limp and predictable.
January 30, 2014
Unexpected stop.

Deke DaSilva is a fairly straight-shooter cop who follows the books and believes the best way to stop crime is by working the front lines. However, when a terrorist blowing up buildings all over the city gains national attention, DaSilva is recruited to join a tactical force to assassinate the terrorist. Everything the tactical force is asking him to do is against his beliefs. Can DaSilva pull it together and execute his mission?

"I'll cut you man."
"I've got the hots for you."

Bruce Malmuth, director of Hard to Kill, Pentathlon, The Man Who Wasn't There, and Fore Play, delivers Nighthawks. The storyline for this picture is just okay and fairly cliché 80s action genre. The action scenes were pretty good, and the characters were interesting as Rutger Hauer always makes a great villain. The film also stars Sylvestor Stallone, Billy Dee Williams, Lindsay Wagner, and Nigel Davenport.

"She shot a policeman in the back at point blank range."

I added this film to my Netflix wish list because I am a bit ashamed to say I had never seen this. This is definitely an above average addition to the action genre. The character development is very solid and the script is better than average. I definitely recommend this movie to fans of the genre.

"Understand this, sucker, you're a cop and you'll go where you are assigned."

Grade: C+
½ January 11, 2014
hadn't seen this since I was a kid.
gritty little crime thriller.
definitely worth a re-watch.
odd to see sweaty joe spinell play a cop but...
December 30, 2013
Nighthawks has been one of my favorite "forgotten" cop adventures since I discovered it in a video store sometime in 1985.
Stallone is surprisingly excellent in his role as a NYPD decoy cop. This was made before he became a caricature of himself. He's very restrained in his performance, and although this IS an action movie, he makes a believable cop and not an over the top Cobra type character. It's my favorite Stallone movie after Rocky. Billy Dee Williams is remarkably subdued as well, fresh off The Empire Strikes Back he breaks from the suave Lando Calrissian mold and also is quite believable as a beat cop.
Young Rutger Hauer's performances are always a marvel. This was pre-Blade Runner but his talent as an ice cold killer is chilling. One aspect this movie has that other modern movies miss are that the characters actually show nervousness, hesitation and fear. They're portrayed as humans, not icy nerves of steel machines.
Lindsay Wagner has a small but memorable part, she was wonderful in her day.
You get a look at old New York, as I remember it as a kid. The soundtrack is classic "cheesy" cop drama but it's a very good movie and to me it hold up right next to The French Connection and Serpico.
½ December 8, 2013
Early 80s action/cop drama with a stop the terrorist plot. Sylvester Stallone and Billy Dee Williams are two streetwise undercover cops, who for whatever reason are recruited to fight an international terrorist called Wulfgar, played by Rutger Hauer. The film is most surely dated in style and presentation (wasn't disco already dead in 1981?), and Stallone is giving a stoic performance that more often than not feels like a non-performance, but the film is decent enough for what it is. I wouldn't recommend this, but if you stumble into isn't the worst film in the world. Just mildly uninteresting.