The Producers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Producers Reviews

½ September 19, 2017
Sweet smell of fail. 90/100
½ September 3, 2017
With its casual homophobia and objectification of women, the film's sense of humor feels a bit dated and is not always efficient, but Gene Wilder and Zero Mostel are hilarious and hold this comedy together even when we realize that the plot is a lot more predictable than it seems.
August 17, 2017
One of the all-time strongest debuts for a writer/director, Mel Brooks' classic showbiz parody 'The Producers' is hilarious from start to finish, and it has just the right amount of heart.
July 28, 2017
The beginning of a legendary filmmaking career doesn't start much better than this. Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder(one of the greatest ever!) create a comedic chemistry only equaled once, Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick in the Broadway Show based on a movie about making a broadway play. Still with me? The Brooks/Wilder partnership has delivered three of the greatest comedies of all time. It all starts here.
½ July 18, 2017
Incredible! It's absolutely iconic and career-defining for writer and director Mel Brooks.
½ June 21, 2017
A true comedy gem from the legendary Mel Brooks. The Producers is both a biting cynical satire yet witty and loving tribute to show business. Check it out.
March 18, 2017
This is a good, good film. Even though the rating is PG, this is best left to the most mature late teenagers and adults. I remember when I watched it the first time, I said it was too dark and not funny enough. Now that I'm an adult, it's probably the funniest movie of the 60's. Gene Wilder is perfectly cast, no one else at the time could do what he did. This is a must see, and finally, a director's debut that is well known and has the acclaim it deserves!
March 8, 2017
I didn't realize Mel Brooks could make something this bad. Good premise about a money-making scheme by creating a sure-fire flop on Broadway and had promise with the Springtime for Hitler play but mostly cringe-worthy material. Bad taste joke with the Germany playwright and former Nazi soldier exclaiming he was "just following orders". Time has not been kind to this one.
February 6, 2017
Being a huge fan of Mel Brooks, I don't think this movie is short of anything but a timeless slapstick comedy film.
December 1, 2016
CLASSIC! On Blu-ray.
October 19, 2016
Wilder's mannerism are hysterical, but outside of that, I didn't enjoy much here at all. Extremely offensive to Nazis.
½ October 18, 2016
Apparently shocking at the time of its release but sadly Mel Brooks' comedy has lost its ability to shock...or perhaps I am unshockable at present. But with the magic of the mind, you (or I) can imagine what it must have been like to be stunned by comedy making fun of Hitler (although Lubitsch's To Be or Not To Be (1942) did take a very funny stab at the Nazis concurrently with WWII - later remade by Brooks himself). The result isn't laugh out loud funny, the way that Young Frankenstein or Blazing Saddles can be, but it has some charm, even if there are some dated jokes and sexism. I watched this (for the first time) to commemorate Gene Wilder's death - I salute him - he has a way with gestures and underplaying the comedy that contrasts well with Zero Mostel's brasher moves. They play the titular producers who determine that securing one million dollars in investments for a cheap Broadway play destined to flop on the first night will leave them sitting pretty and flying down to Rio. Choosing "Springtime for Hitler" seems to be the perfect choice (acknowledged to be in bad taste) but alas the comedy plays well for the masses - and so much so that Brooks was able to create a Broadway show and then a movie remake in recent years. There's enough here to enjoy but I confess to being underwhelmed compared to my expectations.
September 29, 2016
Albeit the masterpiece which is the Springtime For Hitler routine, this comedy is dated with poor jokes, over acting & would have benefited with Brooks being in it. Disappointing to watch this when I have heard so much about it but doesn't live up to the hype.
September 29, 2016
I don't see what all the fuss is about.
September 27, 2016
A shocking and funny comedy about people who try to make money from a daring if shocking scheme. Great performances. Well done.
September 8, 2016
Is comedy of higher caliber? I think not.
September 4, 2016
Doing a bit of a Gene Wilder retrospective. I'd heard good things about this one but it wasn't my cup of tea I guess. I'm not huge into silly comedies and this was very silly. Also very 60s sexist. I don't think the film aged well. Gene was mostly whiny and annoying to me.
½ September 2, 2016
As I make my way through Mel Brooks' filmography, I am constantly reminded of how funny he is. I mean, who else would think of making a movie about two Broadway producers who make a musical about Hitler? I laughed so much it hurt. Of course, my head often hurt for other reasons too. Gene Wilder, while quite hilarious himself, frequently got on my nerves with his manic episodes. It was funny the first couple of times, but it annoyed me afterwards. The true star of the film was Dick Shawn, who played the lead actor in the musical 'Springtime for Hitler.' He was such a pleasure to watch. Overall, I would say this is one of the more straightforwardly comedic Mel Brooks films. I certainly laughed more consistently than with his other ones. However, I don't see myself rewatching this a lot. It was good for a "one and done." I'm glad I saw it, and now I'll move onto his other work.
August 28, 2016
A great classic comedy, but you'll want to show your kids the new version or the musical first, because the scenes with the little old ladies are a bit dated in the original and distract from the plot. If you see the musical, you'll either want to watch a recording with the original Broadway cast, or the 2010 production at Summit High School, New Jersey, because Michael Gorman's award-winning performance as Franz Liebkind was the best I'd ever seen for the character. And there's also another Broadway production floating around somewhere with Richard Kind as Max and Jafar as Roger De Bris, and I loved Jonathan Freeman's singing performances in The Producers, Aladdin, and The Little Mermaid, so I'd also give that one a listen if you can find it.
½ July 17, 2016
How could this happen? I was so careful. I picked the wrong play, the wrong director, the wrong cast. Where did I go right?