The Producers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Producers Reviews

December 1, 2016
CLASSIC! On Blu-ray.
October 19, 2016
Wilder's mannerism are hysterical, but outside of that, I didn't enjoy much here at all. Extremely offensive to Nazis.
½ October 18, 2016
Apparently shocking at the time of its release but sadly Mel Brooks' comedy has lost its ability to shock...or perhaps I am unshockable at present. But with the magic of the mind, you (or I) can imagine what it must have been like to be stunned by comedy making fun of Hitler (although Lubitsch's To Be or Not To Be (1942) did take a very funny stab at the Nazis concurrently with WWII - later remade by Brooks himself). The result isn't laugh out loud funny, the way that Young Frankenstein or Blazing Saddles can be, but it has some charm, even if there are some dated jokes and sexism. I watched this (for the first time) to commemorate Gene Wilder's death - I salute him - he has a way with gestures and underplaying the comedy that contrasts well with Zero Mostel's brasher moves. They play the titular producers who determine that securing one million dollars in investments for a cheap Broadway play destined to flop on the first night will leave them sitting pretty and flying down to Rio. Choosing "Springtime for Hitler" seems to be the perfect choice (acknowledged to be in bad taste) but alas the comedy plays well for the masses - and so much so that Brooks was able to create a Broadway show and then a movie remake in recent years. There's enough here to enjoy but I confess to being underwhelmed compared to my expectations.
September 29, 2016
Albeit the masterpiece which is the Springtime For Hitler routine, this comedy is dated with poor jokes, over acting & would have benefited with Brooks being in it. Disappointing to watch this when I have heard so much about it but doesn't live up to the hype.
September 29, 2016
I don't see what all the fuss is about.
September 27, 2016
A shocking and funny comedy about people who try to make money from a daring if shocking scheme. Great performances. Well done.
September 8, 2016
Is comedy of higher caliber? I think not.
September 4, 2016
Doing a bit of a Gene Wilder retrospective. I'd heard good things about this one but it wasn't my cup of tea I guess. I'm not huge into silly comedies and this was very silly. Also very 60s sexist. I don't think the film aged well. Gene was mostly whiny and annoying to me.
½ September 2, 2016
As I make my way through Mel Brooks' filmography, I am constantly reminded of how funny he is. I mean, who else would think of making a movie about two Broadway producers who make a musical about Hitler? I laughed so much it hurt. Of course, my head often hurt for other reasons too. Gene Wilder, while quite hilarious himself, frequently got on my nerves with his manic episodes. It was funny the first couple of times, but it annoyed me afterwards. The true star of the film was Dick Shawn, who played the lead actor in the musical 'Springtime for Hitler.' He was such a pleasure to watch. Overall, I would say this is one of the more straightforwardly comedic Mel Brooks films. I certainly laughed more consistently than with his other ones. However, I don't see myself rewatching this a lot. It was good for a "one and done." I'm glad I saw it, and now I'll move onto his other work.
August 28, 2016
A great classic comedy, but you'll want to show your kids the new version or the musical first, because the scenes with the little old ladies are a bit dated in the original and distract from the plot. If you see the musical, you'll either want to watch a recording with the original Broadway cast, or the 2010 production at Summit High School, New Jersey, because Michael Gorman's award-winning performance as Franz Liebkind was the best I'd ever seen for the character. And there's also another Broadway production floating around somewhere with Richard Kind as Max and Jafar as Roger De Bris, and I loved Jonathan Freeman's singing performances in The Producers, Aladdin, and The Little Mermaid, so I'd also give that one a listen if you can find it.
½ July 17, 2016
How could this happen? I was so careful. I picked the wrong play, the wrong director, the wrong cast. Where did I go right?
April 22, 2016
Too loud and silly for my liking compounded with grown men touching and groping at each other every other scene has put me off which otherwise had quite a funny premise and a very potential slapstick plot. I have always enjoyed Mel Brooks movies, but this made my cringe mostly. The Swedish secretary and the actual show were an oasis in the middle of this huge man-made desert.

Max Bialystock (Zero Mostel) is a yesteryear successful producer now running on fumes entertaining old ladies for scrapes. When an IRS man Leo Bloom (Gene Wilder) while going through his accounts makes a remark on how a producer can make money out of a sure flop, Bialystock gets interested and talks Leo into executing it. In the process they pick up the worst show ever written 'Springtime for Hitler' showing Hitler, his intentions and accomplishments in a bad taste. After they select equally superlative bad choices for director, actors etc.. they were just waiting for the show to get burned the first day and spend the money made out of it. Does their plan work towards their intentions forms the rest of the story.

Though intentional this is by far the worst acting job by the entire unit and the most putting off presentation I have ever come across. The actors were too loud, too silly and their hugging and kissing and groping made me proud about my patience to finish the movie. Considering it is a successful movie does not lack in its merits with a well written script for a slapstick and occasional moments of humor and a breezy screenplay. Short runtime and a happy ending doesn't hurt either.

Outdated, loud, silly, putting off lousy acting with an occasionally funny script.
½ March 27, 2016
Mel Brooks satire has Broadway producer and his Accountant scheming to raise excess funds to finance a certain flop production in order to abscond with the excess cash. Film's reputation exceeds its actual appeal but it is often clever and was a launching point for both Brooks and Wilder.
March 14, 2016
It was goofy. Not in a good way. I didn't laugh the whole time. The performances were quite good and the overall concept was amusing and pretty clever, but I didn't think it was great. Lot of scenes that stretched too long.
February 4, 2016
Superb bad taste with Zero Mostel completely over the top - brilliant
November 17, 2015
The Producers is a comic masterpiece. By all rights, the sexist jokes, both at the expense of women and homosexuals, and the hippie jokes and the clownish Nazi character and a bunch of other now stale or taboo jokes should make the humor in this movie dated and out of vogue, even embarrassing. So why does it still work?

Because Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder are comic geniuses, and Mel Brooks made the brilliant decision to bring them together. They will always be funny, and their chemistry in this movie will always be amazing. Zero Mostel could be difficult to fit into roles because he was not only larger than life, he was huger than life could possibly be. Max Bialystock was a perfect character for him. All due respect to Nathan Lane, but no one else really should have ever played him. Gene Wilder was the perfect foil for Mostel; somehow he created a character whose panic attacks could match Mostel's megalomaniacal power. He inspires an actual nurturing personality out of the viscerally selfish Max. This movie will always be funny because of them, no matter how the comic grace notes around them age.

Extra kudos to Dick Shawn, always a hugely underrated performer, another actor with whom no one really knew what to do. To me, he is the funniest thing in It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, and he is every bit as funny in The Producers.

Kenneth Mars is another actor that I always wondered why I never saw much of, except in Mel Brooks movies, with his wonderful performances in The Producers and Young Frankenstein. Then I got a look at his IMDB profile - 208 acting credits. Shed no tears for this guy, he ALWAYS worked - just not in anything I was watching.
November 2, 2015
One of the three funniest movies ever made, IMHO.
August 22, 2015
Well it's not as good, to me, as the Mathew Broderick and Nathan Lane remake/musical, but it was still good! Can't hate a Mel Brooks film!
August 17, 2015
Hilarious, wacky, weird, and wonderful! Another Mel Brooks comedy classic!
June 4, 2015
Incredible! It's absolutely iconic and career-defining for writer and director Mel Brooks.