Short Circuit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Short Circuit Reviews

May 1, 2018
A freak lightning storm causes a war automaton to spontaneously go sentient during a military demonstration. If you were sentient yourself in '86, no doubt you remember this one. It's the epitome of an eighties movie in all the wrong ways: bad comedy, forced plot developments, a big dose of cold war overtones, a valley girl accent, Steve Guttenberg... the list is awfully lengthy. We've even got a white man in brown face, though he does nothing terribly egregious or offensive beyond the (surprisingly convincing) makeup.

Short Circuit manages to get by on the power of spirit and enthusiasm alone, which is itself another '80s stereotype. It's got energy to spare, plus absolutely no shame over its shortcomings, which makes it awkwardly endearing. Having said that, and appreciated it, the flick is often eye-roll bad, much worse than I'd remembered. Subtle like a bull on the warpath and cheesier than a Kraft dinner, I felt a little embarrassed for being such a fan back when I could still count my age on two hands. My sons, though, only a few years removed from that age themselves, adored it, so maybe there's something innocent and beautiful about that. I guess some films are best viewed in the memory banks.
April 23, 2018
Short Circuit
Directed By: John Badham
Starring: Ally Sheedy, Steve Guttenberg
Plot: When a laser-armed Department of Defense robot named Number 5 gets zapped by a lightning bolt, he "malfunctions" and starts spouting peace slogans and developing a human-like consciousness. Naturally, the newly pacifist machine wants out of the military and escapes. As a frantic search for the creature begins, Number 5 settles down in his new home, with a gentle young woman named Stephanie (Ally Sheedy), who has every intention of holding on to her find, teaching Number 5 about popular culture and other mysteries of life. Thoroughly convinced that the robot is alive, she develops a strong bond with the creature. In order to prevent his capture by the military--who view Number 5 as an armed-and-dangerous weapon--the pair must convince his inventor, a reclusive scientist named Newton Crosby (Steve Guttenberg), that he is truly alive and more than just a metal machine. (Yahoo!)
Review: This movie is what the 80s were all about come up with an original ideal write a decent script get a star filled cast and make a pretty decent movie. I love this movie it has great comedy and emotional moments I find myself believing Number 5 is alive. This movie is in my top 25 must see films. One more thing this is a funny Steve Guttenberg like Police Academy not Crappy Guttenberg.
Rating: 8/10
Recommendation: Rent if you can find it but if you love movies buy it you can find it for four dollars at most stores or ten dollars on Blu-Ray.
March 19, 2018
Abused woman wants to fuck a robot
November 4, 2017
When what others see the future for war, we see artificial intelligence is here to stay. When we see that an AI is different from others when lighting strikes, we don't know what it is capable of doing when it's meant to be a tool for war. When the AI is able to see and comprehend, it sees it is able to do more that others can't do. When it can see and feel all dangers & all what is safe. When it can see what to do and not to do when it is learning life as it explorers everything around them. When it is able see everything identify fast when it can process all physical data and learn to communicate with a feminist touch. When it is able express emotions and objects, able to understand life and death, assemble and reassemble to know what we see is danger we must stay away. When we don't always understand this world and see it for what it means we try to take parts and put them together to find a connection.
October 24, 2017
I seen this movie on The Disney Channel when I was Kid in 90s, I really like this movie so much. but the 80s fans who totally miss our favorite friendly robot so much
September 7, 2017
Short Circuit is an okay film. It is about number 5 of a group of experimental robots in a lab who is electrocuted, suddenly becomes intelligent, and escapes. Steve Guttenberg and Ally Sheedy give decent performances. The script is a little slow in places. John Badham did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the humor.
May 20, 2017
#5 is a military robot who is struck by lightning and becomes "alive". A cute family comedy.
May 6, 2017
Fantastic sci fi comedy
April 28, 2017
One of greatest movie from 80's !
½ February 9, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 7, 2017
It's a pretty cute movie. It had a couple of funny parts. But, overall, it was a pretty cliche movie. The acting wasn't special and the story wasn't special. But, it was a cute family movie
September 24, 2016
Seriously, a rotten tomato. I already hated rotten tomatoes but now I hate them more.
August 8, 2016
8/9/2016: A pretty cheesy 80's movie. Silly, but not funny.
June 19, 2016
Robot escapes from research facility and ends up at the home of a single cat lady type named Stephanie. She helps the robot from getting hurt. This family comedy is a little cheesy and dated. But, at the time of its release its special effects and the robot itself were seen as high technology in its own right.
June 16, 2016
Great movie that holds up over time (if you allow for the special effects)

Interesting, The 80's had a very positive view of AI where as we seem to have developed a very "End of the World" view of AI.

That aside, a very fun and positive move that it still watchable today. Good job folks!
½ May 20, 2016
Short Circuit may contain some controversial subjects, and its story may be too shallow, but it has some enjoyable moments, and a really likeable protagonist
May 1, 2016
An 80's film I never saw whilst growing up. I really enjoyed it. It is clear that Wall-E from Pixar was inspired by Johnny-Five and this movie, even if Pixar deny it. A lot of the jokes are clearly not for kids either but otherwise this is a very enjoyable film. On to the sequel now.
½ April 22, 2016
A lot of nostalgic fun. Great kids movie! Johnny 5 is alive!!!
March 20, 2016
It is not original, but Johnny Five is a very underrated protagonist with likable to cling on. the effects are decent and the rest is ok
February 23, 2016
The plot is by-the-numbers and hits every plot point you'd expect, and the acting is underwhelming, but its sense of fun and charm, delivered mostly from its adorable protagonist, is quite undeniable.