Tempest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tempest Reviews

November 13, 2014
That old Shakespearean magic survives even this loosest of adaptations, and by the end one is wallowing in the length and indulgence of it all (thinking as much about a summer holiday as about the film).
hunterjt13
½ May 12, 2013
A bourgeois, middle-aged New Yorker moves to a Greek island with his daughter to escape the pitfalls of a tepid marriage and the rat wheel of his work.
I think the moment that I began to hate Tempest was when Molly Ringwald and Susan Sarandon broke into a rendition of "Why Do Fools Fall in Love?" The song occurs in the middle of a serious argument in which both women are accusing Phillip of enslaving them -- a heavy accusation. While I am all for experimentation, it was director Paul Mazursky's unwillingness or inability to treat any of his characters or their situations with sobriety that finally turned me off of the film.
Tempest's relationship with Shakespeare's play is tenuous. Many of the names are similar, but Shakespeare's play is about old age and aging with grace. It was Shakespeare's last play, his swan song, his goodbye to life in the theater because after all, "we are such things as dreams are made on." It's true that Phillip is dealing with the fears of aging, but nothing profound comes out of his disavowal of modern life. The supporting characters are where the film really differs from the play. Kalibanos (nee Caliban) is a horny Greek (Latin?) who is still connected to modernity (unlike his play counterpart). I don't know if Aretha is supposed to be Ariel, but the sexual tension confuses this parallel.
Overall, this film isn't just a bad rendition of Shakespeare, it's just a bad film.
bbcfloridabound
November 5, 2012
When you make a movie have a point and thats what this movie was lacking. Paid three dollars for this at Big Lots and that was $2.99 to much. 1 star
January 11, 2011
A meandering tale of a family who go live out in the middle of nowhere to get away from it all. This movie has a good cast, but I just couldn't get into it.
½ November 16, 2010
A forgettable story.
January 28, 2010
Ok If Life s Just To Much ?? Than Drift Tawards This Island..
Fave Line : (You look like Goat Shit)
A Teen age molly ringwald is ever so ugly in this Family Drama But It works A Man Searching for answers.. On A Desolate Island ... I wont ruin the show so if you are at a point in life where nothing makes sence and you want to get away this film will help You in watever is missing ..A Little Weird... DECISIONS... hmmm ?? Do What Most Makes You Happy !!!
½ September 29, 2009
what a delightful movie!
August 16, 2009
I saw this when it first came out, a decade before I became a Shakespeare enthusiast, and found it thoroughly confusing -- yet strangely compelling, such that I never forgot it. Set in modern New York and Greece and using entirely modern English, this film owes to the Bard's play only the vaguest thread of its plot and a couple of characters' names. If you don't know the original, you may well enjoy it as a simple man-down-on-his-luck-takes-temporary-leave-of-his-sanity story, with a few mysterious manifestations. If you do know the play, however, you'll appreciate the joke on an entirely different level.
March 6, 2009
"Come on, show me the magic"

4/10

Unfortunately for Tempest, it's plot doesn't actually start until more than 80% of the way through the film.

It masquerades as being as cerebral as its namesake, but instead is a jumbled, convoluted, and hackneyed exercise in tedium. The story just bogs down and moves at a slower and slower pace.

Raul Julia is the real highlight of the film, but sadly the plot takes far too long to get started.
January 30, 2009
A shambling and epic film, with a memorable piece of hamming slung on screen by Raul Julia (of 'Adaams Family'). 'Quixotic' is what Mazursky (of 'Midnight Cowboy' fame) aims for. He achieves it (flying goats! Aegean bliss!), but it does take a long long roll of celluloid to finally get to the end. It's worth it. The dramatics are already in the reimagined Shakespearean characters, cast out from New York, but the keeper is the serene beauty of the Greek island, where you almost feel that the epic powers commanded in the pre-climactic sequence ('The Tempest') really are plausible, that it is really the realm of the gods where mortal tread warily, but with infinite prejudice.
½ December 29, 2008
Don't think too hard about coherent narrative (if John Cassavetes can control the weather, why can't he fix his life?), but take it as a kind of meditation on the nature of love.
November 28, 2008
Interesting cast in this contemporary adaptation of The Tempest. Escape to another world. All the cards on the table. More accessable than Greenaways Prosperos Books, but less interesting. Great cast including Susan Sarandon, John Cassavetes and Raul Julia. (1982)
November 9, 2008
An odd updating of Shakespeare's last play. The choice to focus more on how Philip (the Prospero character) got to the island than on the actual events there - the movie ends about ten minutes after the shipwreck - makes for an engaging, slightly droll character study. Much appreciation to Mazursky for his little throwaway jab at Gurdjieff. Love the slightly surreal recontextualization of "New York, New York."
October 29, 2008
You can't go wrong with this cast!
½ September 21, 2008
I hate this movie. Period. It can die in a hole
September 1, 2008
first 3/4 has great moments but is mostly ... boring, but the last ?quarter? is deeply satisfying.
August 31, 2008
so beautifull move so wonder full
August 25, 2008
I stumbled on this movie on tv tonight and started watching it because some of the action was taking place in Greece. What I discovered was a really great movie on mid-life crisis, dreams, fantasies and hope.
½ February 15, 2008
Excellend adaptation of one of Shakespeare's comedys whose cast sparkles with subtle wit and whimsy just as much as the azure Grecian waters surrounding Peter's island paradice. "Show me the magic!"