Unfaithfully Yours - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Unfaithfully Yours Reviews

June 11, 2016
Preston Sturges attempts to combine his salacious wit with a character study on the psychological anguish of a composer (Harrison), which is bold but doesn't quite make it to masterpiece material. I think it would have been better if we had seen how paranoid or delusional Harrison's character was before conducting the big symphony, where he is consumed with his wife's infidelity;
worth watching for Harrison's performance, but the most of the supporting characters have no reason to be there.
October 19, 2015
This type of comedy in anyone else`s hands would be a Hitchcock like thriller. But Preston Sturges has a grumpy composer played by Rex Harrison think that his wife is having an affair, and while he performs a concert he construct vivid fantasies of how he will deal with the situation. The movie`s middle portion is the best part, all of these deranged and wicked scenarios. When the climax comes along, it ends rather ant-climactic like and it feels all moot.
May 13, 2015
A delightful romp through a frustrated conductor's imagination, and a hilarious comparison between that imagination and reality.
April 12, 2015
The sort of genre melange that you couldn't get away with now; the overall effect is comic but there are genuinely nasty, noirish bits and extended musical interludes amid the screwball dialogue and slapstick. I liked it, especially Rex Harrison's baronet among Yanks schtick.
March 5, 2015
Rex Harrison wants desperately to be in a manic Preston Sturges movie (such as The Palm Beach Story or The Miracle of Morgan Creek) and he heroically tries to make it so. Just look at him thrashing about his apartment destroying stuff on his own. It's a bit sad really because this film shows Sturges running out of steam. The concept is good: a famous symphony conductor suspects his wife of cheating (after receiving an unwanted detective's report from Rudy Vallee) and proceeds to imagine what he will do. That is, there are three fantasy sequences that arise while he is conducting, apparently magnificently (the camera tracks into his eye each time). Unfortunately, his wife, played by Linda Darnell, isn't up to the manic comic standards and the script contains too few funny gags and just so much useless thrashing about. And this was Sturges' last hurrah (more or less) - too bad because he burned so brightly during the war years.
July 15, 2014
God, I loved this movie. Preston Sturges is indeed fast becoming one of my favorite filmmakers. This time around it's about a world-famous orchestra conductor who has come to suspect his younger wife might be cheating on him and fantasizes different scenarios on how he's gonna handle it. It is often VERY funny and features Sturges' trademark combo of slapstick and sparkling dialogue but it's also surprisingly dark as well. Rex Harrison is amazing in the leading role, very capable of playing the serious and dark side as well as an excellent physical comedian (the scene where he accidentally wrecks his high-class apartment is almost as great as anything Chaplin and Keaton had done). This is an absolute must-see.
April 26, 2014
it's a really hilarious movie, just as funny as "his girl Friday" ad Rex Harrison was GREAT :D
March 22, 2014
another winner from the gr8 preston sturges
½ November 2, 2013
Rex Harrison does well as the peevish husband in this black comedy from Preston Sturges.
May 15, 2013
Unfaithfully Yours (1948) er en vidunderlig, strålende og elegant udført komedie fra Preston Sturges - det var den sidste af hans Hollywood-film fra hans hånd.
February 28, 2013
There have been many interesting transitions between reality and fantasy in film, and I struggle to find one more interesting than diving into Rex Harrison's shady eyeballs. We enter the world of Alfred de Carter's poisonously jealous and contemplatively murderous fantasies. But this is no ominous film. It is, after all, directed and written by the magnificent genius Preston Sturges, whose films were replete with raucous screwball comedy. His films are refreshing, even after some sixty years of their making.
January 6, 2013
One of Sturges' most underrated movies. Screwy, at times dark, a lot of fun.
July 24, 2012
"unfaithfully yours" has a very dark and twisted sense of humor, but it's also really good at bringing slapshtick and screw ball comedy. towards the end, rex harrison's character is quite clumsy, and for a while it made me wonder how much longer is this going to go on? but the longer the clumsiness went, the funnier it became. not sure which film of preston sturges is my favorite. it's either between "the palm beach story", or this one.
½ July 24, 2012
Funniest movie ever? I think so. Dark, disturbing, and hilarious. The music is fantastic as well as the mordant scenarios.
July 22, 2012
faltered midway but salvaged towards the ending. there are many more superior 40s and 50s films funnier and more memorable.
March 22, 2012
ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT! Its cinematography is superb, it's concept is rich but deep and though provoking, it's cast is witty and entertaining. But at it's core is the center of all screwball comedy's, pure laughter and joy.
September 2, 2011
This film wasn't well-received in 1948; that's because audiences weren't ready to laugh while a rich Englishman slashed his wife's throat to pieces with a razor blade. Now it stands as Preston Sturges' most darkly funny film, an insightful glimpse into the human psyche and what makes us human- for better or worse. Rex Harrison is perfect in this role as Alfred de Carter, an orchestra conductor who believes his wife has been unfaithful to him and who experiences a bout of radical revenge fantasies as he performs his most emotional concert. Later he will discover that things never quite work out the way we see them in perfect dramatic motion out of the film projectors in our heads, but Sturges revels in the macabre details of these thoughts. This director was notoriously good at getting his risque ideas past the censor boards, but these sequences push some serious boundaries even by today's standards. What's so funny and intriguing about this premise, though, is that it isn't so extreme; Alfred may seem like a madman among other movie characters, but his violent and carefully orchestrated fantasies are commonplace for human beings in the real world, and their careful placement in the story makes him a sympathetic character rather than a wicked one. Preston Sturges, in my opinion, was the best director of comedy films in the 40s, and this is one of his very best films- an underrated and unrestrained comic masterpiece.
August 16, 2011
An unusual combination of slapstick and high brow verbal humor from Sturgis. The movie goes to some pretty dark places in the fantasy sequences. Rex Harrison is absolutely brilliant in the lead role and gives a tour de force performance. Unbelievable camera moves for its time.
½ June 17, 2011
Another supposed all out comedy from legendary director Preston Sturges leads me to the same conclusion I reached with The Palm Beach Story: comedy wasn't all that evolved in the forties. Much like the romantic comedy filth of today, the forties and fifties were overcrowded by overtly painful films that were not only unfunny, but given recognition where it was not due. For much of the movie Rex Harrison plays the flirtatious role of a devoted husband with an air of feminine wiles and frivolity, better showcased in his performance as Professor Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady opposite Audrey Hepburn. Here he is shown as a conductor, brilliant and lauded by music lovers and his young wife, who he spoils endlessly. As the plot "thickens" Harrison's character is told his wife is unfaithful, and during a few dramatic dream sequences we are shown the many situations in which he would deal with his suspicions towards his wife. The first is the only truly funny and original part of this entire film, starting slowly much like the rest of this drag fest, but quickly gains momentum, turning into one of the biggest surprises of Post Code Hollywood I've ever seen. If only the whole movie could attain such excellence, it would be a decent black comedy. Instead we're pained with over the top slapstick and dialogue that irks anyone of the wit persuasion, especially the ending, which is glosh galore. Steer clear of Sturges.
May 27, 2011
Gotta love Rex Harrison. Classic.