Henry V - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Henry V Reviews

November 15, 2017
It was enjoyable at first and then you just become too exhausted with Shakespeare's genius.
½ November 5, 2017
In the midst of the Hundred Years War, the young King Henry V of England embarks on the conquest of France in 1415. Adapted from William Shakespeare's play, it has a good pace and the action scenes are interesting. Kenneth Branagh makes his film directorial debut, acting as the lead character as well, he's definitely a natural.
½ October 11, 2017
Here?s how I typically react to Shakespeare. The first time I see a play/movie I struggle to understand what is going on. I do my best to infer what the dialogue is saying, but generally it?s a struggle. So I don?t love it on the first viewing. That was exactly how I felt after watching Henry V because this is my first experience with this particular work of Shakespeare. Admittedly, this is one of the simpler stories, so there were only some smaller details that I couldn?t understand but the overarching plot was fairly obvious. The language of these plays is always beautiful to listen to, and so I?m somewhat entranced by it even though I don?t always get it. It might have been delivered a little too melodramatic in this film, but I think the story lends itself to melodrama.

The positive of Shakespeare is that his stories tend to stick with me, as Henry V has since I watched it. I find myself reading more about it, and learning all the little details that were lost in translation the first time. Then I can reexamine the play/film with a fresh perspective and will typically like it a lot more. All the elements are there for me to learn to love this film over time. It takes aspects that I imagine are tough to capture on stage and makes them cinematic, and it has some excellent actors. Kenneth Branagh in particular has a knack for getting to the emotion behind Shakespeare?s poetry and bringing that to the forefront. Most of my complaints are small and relate more to the script which was written centuries before this film was made. I think it?s a strong production and one I will see again someday.
September 23, 2017
I can't understand it.
August 21, 2017
It's the language that gets me. The actors might as well be speaking in Greek, and I have to have the subtitles on in order to follow the plot. Because of this I find Shakespeare films to be ok but never great. But that might just be me. This film is no different but it was still fairly enjoyable to watch. I have seen the Laurence Olivier version and this more recent version is far more realistic due to it's more modern filming techniques, sets, battle sequences, etc. If you like Shakespeare you will probably like this film.
August 1, 2017
Great performances all around particularly by Jacobi, Scofield, and, of course, Branagh. Offers gritty battle scenes which help the play become more 3-Dimensional plus some great renditions of the monologues.
August 1, 2017
Kenneth Branagh's Henry V is well acted and is epic in scope. It's emotional and a very ambitious project with brilliant mise-en-scene.
July 23, 2017
With an appropriate level of grit, solid acting, and emotional heft to carry all the banter, Kenneth Branagh's version of this Shakespearean history of England is darker but also more complex, though also a little cheaply edited.
July 6, 2017
E tá no Netflix!!! Uhuu!
June 17, 2017
Players are so cold.
April 19, 2017
To put it briefly, this is the best live-action film adaption any of Shakespeare's work. Period! You can find live action film adaptations of Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Cats, or whatever, but none compare to the flawless performance done in this adaptation of Shakespeare's Henry V, with word for word dialogue and the best casting choices ever made. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. Henry V gets a 5/5.
September 6, 2016
a PAin...... for sure....
½ August 28, 2016
Shakespeare is tough to turn into good movies especially the history shows. Branagh is intermittently successful here. As King Henry leading the Brits from arguing into full fledged war with the French, Branagh doesn't quite inspire the way Henry must to be successfull. The first third is a bit scattered and tough to follow if you don't know the source material, the second act improves with some more action, and then it drags on almost 20 minutes past where it should end. Branagh would do better adaptations later, so stick to those.
June 24, 2016
Kenneth Branagh's spectacular, totally engrossing adaptation of William Shakespeare play is his finest cinematic achievement to date. A feast for both the eyes and ears, indeed Shakespeare's words are spoken in this film with such conviction, depth and power by an extraordinary cast of British thespians, and the truly stunning cinematography by Kenneth MacMillan brings this epic tale to life. But the film's greatest attribute is Kenneth Branagh's brilliant Oscar nominated powerhouse performance as King Henry V which completely dominates this motion picture. The tale concerns young King Henry of England who embarks on a conquest of France after being insulted by the King of France, he leads his small rag-tag army against a vastly superior number of French forces on the field of Agincourt. Masterful Oscar nominated & BAFTA Film Award winning direction by Branagh who also wrote the captivating screen adaptation. Magnificent supporting performances by Derek Jacobi, Brian Blessed, Sir Ian Holm, Paul Scofield, Emma Thompson, James Simmons, Paul Gregory, Alec McCowen, Robbie Coltrane, Geraldine, McEwan, Judi Dench, and Christian Bale. A movie masterpiece in every sense of the word. Unmissable. Oscar winner: Best Costume Design: Phyllis Dalton. Highly Recommended.
May 25, 2016
Wow. Kenneth Branagh's debut film is full of vigor and bravado, with gritty and visceral action sequences. I thoroughly enjoyed this.
½ February 8, 2016
Shakespearean classic with an outstanding crew of actors. The battle scene is unforgettable in its realism. I cannot stress how great these scenes are. A must see for fans of history, or military battles, this is epic drama at its best.
½ December 13, 2015
A lot more accessible than the Olivier version but still pretty long and boring. You do have to be a bit of a Shakespeare nut to enjoy such films.
November 27, 2015
It's a tragedy this isn't available to purchase.
October 1, 2015
fabulously done, tons of action,