Memphis Belle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Memphis Belle Reviews

½ November 25, 2017
1943. The air war over Germany is at its zenith. In the 8th Air Force is a B-17 bomber whose crew are about to complete their 25th mission, the first to do so. After this mission they will be rotated back to the US on a marketing drive. However, their 25th mission is far from a milk run and they will need all the skill and luck they can muster to back it back alive.

Great WW2 drama, based on a true story. Loosely based, I might add - the actual story is immortalised in William Wyler's 1944 documentary "The Memphis Belle: A Story of a Flying Fortress". Some license has been taken with the details but it still makes for a gritty drama.

Broad plot is straightforward, with a few Hollywoodisms. However is very engaging, as you get to meet and understand the characters who make up the crew. You see the dangers they face and the high chance of not making it back.

Quite intriguing too, as nothing is certain.

Great aerial and action scenes, and this is where the movie truly shines. Using actual B-17s makes for a wonderful level of authenticity.

Solid performances all round from a decent cast: Matthew Modine, Eric Stoltz, Tate Donovan, DB Sweeney, Harry Connick Jr, Billy Zane, Sean Astin, David Strathairn and John Lithgow, among others.

Riveting viewing.
October 28, 2017
Under-rated...but then historical and too real for our ADHD society.
½ October 5, 2017
Kind of a mix between The Deer Hunter and Platoon, but being about the airmen and not soldiers while being less critical.
July 25, 2017
Excellent and harrowing account of the trials of a World War II bomber crew.
½ June 10, 2017
Brutal and nostalgic.
May 1, 2017
Have loved this movie since I saw it at the cinema all those years ago. I've seen it many, many times since. Yes it might be a little corny in places and not terribly historically acurate at times, but the acting is decent, its exciting and quite moving at times. I still love it and I still hold my breath every time until they get the wheel down!!
June 15, 2016
Memphis Belle is an excellent film. It is about the four officers and six enlisted men of the Memphis Belle in 1943. Matthew Modine and Eric Stolz give fantastic performances. The script is good but a little slow in places. Michael Canton-Jones did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the action and drama. Memphis Belle is a must see.
January 28, 2016
This was a childhood favorite of mine! Great cast, plot and over all a fantastic movie. Definitely will go down as a classic in my mind.
May 25, 2015
There isn't anything particularly bad about Memphis Belle, there just isn't much good. It's standard fare, not unwatchable, but unmemorable.
May 12, 2015
Evocative of the time, I think, and provides a different perspective to the WW II air crew experience.
½ March 25, 2015
Nice tame WW2 story where your rooting interests are rewarded.
March 24, 2015
It has it's moments felt but, could have been much more intense if properly constructed - It's a pity !
March 23, 2015
In 1990 the film was damned for being too "old school." Really though it anticipates Saving Private Ryan but I prefer this film. The acting is better, the characters stronger (but not deep), and there is an emotional grime to the film which I found lacking in Ryan.
February 17, 2015
The final mission of a B-17 bomber during the period of the daytime bombing raids over Europe.

With pre-planned routes, cramped confines, the vagaries of weather and programmed bomb runs over heavily defended sites, it's not surprising that very few B-17 crews made it through all 25 missions: this film follows the 25th (and hence final) mission for the first - extremely lucky - crew to do so.

Full of cheese, yes, and unabashedly sentimental but boy oh boy am I glad that I never had to go up in one of those planes!
January 12, 2015
I remember drooling with anticipation when this movie came out and I was a 12 year old obsessed with WWII military action over Europe but rewatching it now I can see that this is a pretty generic war movie. It captures on film the content of the many memoirs of bomber crews I read as a child but in an unimaginative, though action-packed, way.
December 31, 2014
So sentimental and so old fashioned. But its a real winner of a tale, and so many of the cast went onto greater things in the 90s.
½ November 18, 2014
(Not quite) 80s classic.
September 6, 2014
The whole cast really fuels the heart of this movie. Cheap thrills and close calls keep the clich├ęd storyline going but is more enjoyable story than not.
May 30, 2014
My Favorite War Film Is 1998's Saving Private Ryan.
½ May 5, 2014
This is an entertaining, fictionalized composite of US Army Air Corps bomber crewmembers flying dangerous missions over Europe during World War II. Some reviewers bash it for its historical inaccuracies (and a few of them ironically refer to the "Air Force" which didn't even exist until September 1947), but that's not what this movie is about. It's a well-written yarn--using language contemporary to the 1940s, which is appropriate--that for most people is a well-done film. I would say to those who clamor for historical accuracy that they should spend time watching the History Channel documentaries. A movie detailing the exploits of the real crew of the real Memphis Belle would be a yawnfest of procedural flying missions, a bleak and boring script, and would be absent of any tense character moments. On top of that, there'd be no way to hang a rousing and dramatic musical score on such a vanilla story. That there were great personalities, conflict, heroics, exciting drama, etc., during the allied bombing missions, there is no doubt. So to convey that in an entertaining and at times exciting film is, to my mind, the right thing to do. Maybe just fictionalizing the name of the aircraft would have been the way to go to silence the insouciant critics of this movie. I've seen it several times, and it's a great film!