Memphis Belle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Memphis Belle Reviews

June 15, 2016
Memphis Belle is an excellent film. It is about the four officers and six enlisted men of the Memphis Belle in 1943. Matthew Modine and Eric Stolz give fantastic performances. The script is good but a little slow in places. Michael Canton-Jones did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the action and drama. Memphis Belle is a must see.
January 28, 2016
This was a childhood favorite of mine! Great cast, plot and over all a fantastic movie. Definitely will go down as a classic in my mind.
May 25, 2015
There isn't anything particularly bad about Memphis Belle, there just isn't much good. It's standard fare, not unwatchable, but unmemorable.
May 12, 2015
Evocative of the time, I think, and provides a different perspective to the WW II air crew experience.
½ March 25, 2015
Nice tame WW2 story where your rooting interests are rewarded.
March 24, 2015
It has it's moments felt but, could have been much more intense if properly constructed - It's a pity !
March 23, 2015
In 1990 the film was damned for being too "old school." Really though it anticipates Saving Private Ryan but I prefer this film. The acting is better, the characters stronger (but not deep), and there is an emotional grime to the film which I found lacking in Ryan.
February 17, 2015
The final mission of a B-17 bomber during the period of the daytime bombing raids over Europe.

With pre-planned routes, cramped confines, the vagaries of weather and programmed bomb runs over heavily defended sites, it's not surprising that very few B-17 crews made it through all 25 missions: this film follows the 25th (and hence final) mission for the first - extremely lucky - crew to do so.

Full of cheese, yes, and unabashedly sentimental but boy oh boy am I glad that I never had to go up in one of those planes!
January 12, 2015
I remember drooling with anticipation when this movie came out and I was a 12 year old obsessed with WWII military action over Europe but rewatching it now I can see that this is a pretty generic war movie. It captures on film the content of the many memoirs of bomber crews I read as a child but in an unimaginative, though action-packed, way.
December 31, 2014
So sentimental and so old fashioned. But its a real winner of a tale, and so many of the cast went onto greater things in the 90s.
½ November 18, 2014
(Not quite) 80s classic.
September 6, 2014
The whole cast really fuels the heart of this movie. Cheap thrills and close calls keep the clichéd storyline going but is more enjoyable story than not.
½ July 13, 2014
Really good war movie. B
May 30, 2014
My Favorite War Film Is 1998's Saving Private Ryan.
½ May 5, 2014
This is an entertaining, fictionalized composite of US Army Air Corps bomber crewmembers flying dangerous missions over Europe during World War II. Some reviewers bash it for its historical inaccuracies (and a few of them ironically refer to the "Air Force" which didn't even exist until September 1947), but that's not what this movie is about. It's a well-written yarn--using language contemporary to the 1940s, which is appropriate--that for most people is a well-done film. I would say to those who clamor for historical accuracy that they should spend time watching the History Channel documentaries. A movie detailing the exploits of the real crew of the real Memphis Belle would be a yawnfest of procedural flying missions, a bleak and boring script, and would be absent of any tense character moments. On top of that, there'd be no way to hang a rousing and dramatic musical score on such a vanilla story. That there were great personalities, conflict, heroics, exciting drama, etc., during the allied bombing missions, there is no doubt. So to convey that in an entertaining and at times exciting film is, to my mind, the right thing to do. Maybe just fictionalizing the name of the aircraft would have been the way to go to silence the insouciant critics of this movie. I've seen it several times, and it's a great film!
April 25, 2014
fooking class film part was filmed in my village :P
½ April 19, 2014
I love how this movie is not CGI like the planes in Red Tails, which sucked. It all looks authentic and real, cuz it is, and although its not how the mission really went it was still a good movie that keeps you hoping the guys will make it home. But its a little to predictable, since the plot is about the first bomber crew to reach 25 missions, which was the Memphis Belle, so you know how it will play out in the end. I wasnt a fan of the characters lines either, to me they sounded dull and cheap. But its a great movie and to me it's a classic and one of the better ones.
December 24, 2013
Great reenactment of the true story. This movie kept me on seat waiting to see what happens next.
November 26, 2013
i love this movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And im 16 thats saying a lot.
TheDudeLebowski65
October 12, 2013
Memphis is a fairly underrated movie about the WWII bomber of the same name. Although relying on Clichés, there is still plenty to enjoy here, and the cast are very good in their roles. The story of the Memphis Belle is one of the most famous of any aircraft in the war. The film manages to tell some of its story, but there is also reliance on predictability and clichés to make it more appealing to the viewer. I personally feel that if the film would have been more accurate, this film could really have been a great War film. Overall, it's good, but it never goes beyond of what it could have been. Memphis Belle is nonetheless a good movie, but one that leaves wanting due to the fact that the true story is really interesting to read about. As it is, this one can spark interest in the subject, but due to the fact it's a watered down version of the facts, it only offers a part of the story. Read about the Memphis Belle instead. I liked the film, but it's never anything great. The material is imperfect, and in some areas it could have been better. This is entertaining for what it is, but if you're looking for facts of the plane's mission, watch a documentary of read books on the subject. Despite its flaws, Memphis Belle is thrilling from start to finish. The cast keep you involved and they each bring something unique to the screen to make this worth seeing. Although far from perfect, this film isn't half as bad as what many critics have said about it. If you love war films, check it out, just don't expect accuracy.