The Commitments - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Commitments Reviews

½ November 27, 2016
You know, it's a great thing this movie came with subtitles or else I honestly would have had no idea what any of the actors were saying. Especially in the scenes where they're all talking over each other or arguing about whatever it is they argued about. And, let me tell you, there's a lot of the latter in this movie. The problem comes in the fact that the Netflix subtitles, for one reason or another, after a certain point, were like a couple of seconds behind the actual dialogue going on in the film. Now, unless it was a scene between two people and both spoke clearly, it was really difficult to keep up during the arguments, when everybody's saying something but you can't make out any of it because of the fact that the subtitles haven't caught up yet. This happened to me a lot on Amazon Prime, but Amazon Prime was considerably worse, sometimes it'd be 10 seconds behind the actual dialogue. I couldn't have watched this movie on Amazon Prime with the subtitles 10 seconds behind the dialogue. It would have been impossible. And, really, that's part of the reason why I didn't give this film a higher rating than the one I gave it. I mean I got the gist of what they were saying even though I was playing catch up for most of the flick. But it's also possible that I would have given this movie the exact same rating even if the subtitles were right on time. With that said, I still thought that this was a damn good movie regardless with a lot of great musical performances. Maybe too many musical performances for my liking. And what I mean by that is that they didn't pace them out as well as they could have. Sometimes you'd have two straight performances back-to-back. And there's nothing wrong with that in the way that the band is actually great and the performances are actually pretty damn excellent. But, and this was something that I felt was a problem with The Nightmare Before Christmas, is that there's not a good balance of song-to-story. And that's really just as important as the performances themselves, maybe even more important as these scenes are meant to build up the characters, their relationships and their personalities. And, like I said, the movie just doesn't find a great balance between these elements and I do believe that it detracts from what would have been a great movie regardless. I do very much like the story that the movie tells with this band, a local band that performs covers of old school soul songs, finding a bit of success and the respective members of the band letting that success go to their head. Either that or it's interpersonal arguments between people in the band who just don't like each other for whatever reason. I like that because, and I'm not saying it's something that happens to every major band, but when you think about most successful bands, you usually imagine the fact that they hate each other and they drive in separate tour buses like Motley Crue or KISS when they reunited the original band in 1996. So to see that happen on a considerably smaller level was actually real entertaining. The Commitments weren't even successful on a national level, they were successful in the Dublin area. So seeing them tear each other apart from the inside out, not even taking into consideration how great of a band they are, was interesting to see. The acting and writing are more than solid as well, so no complaints there whatsoever. I don't really know what else to say honestly. The musical performances are the definite highlights of the movie, but I wish there would have been a stronger focus on the narrative and the personal issues between the band members that forced them to pretty much split up by the end of the film. At least as far as the protagonist tells it, since he interviews himself throughout the film, telling the story of the band. He could very well have been making all of the post-breakup events for the band members. Anyway, I still really liked this movie in spite of the issues I had with it. It's a damn good movie and I would give it an easy recommendation if you have Netflix.
October 25, 2016
This is a really fun movie, nothing complicated, just enjoyable fun :-)
½ October 6, 2016
"The Commitments" is an enthralling behind-the-music look at a fictional soul band that runs wild with energy, passion, humor, and, of course, great music.
May 22, 2016
Dublin, Ireland. Local entrepreneur Jimmy Rabbitte is putting a band together (which he will manage). Through friends, contacts, auditions and blind luck he puts together his band - The Commitments. He decides what music they will play - soul. We see how the pieces come together, the auditions, the skepticism from his parents, their first rehearsal, how things start to come together and their first few gigs. We also see the relationships in the band, particularly the friction. Soon they are standing on the threshold of stardom.

Wonderfully funny and entertaining with a fantastic soundtrack

Great plot, based on a book by Roddy Doyle, showing how the average band forms and develops and the internal turmoil. Wonderful dialogue and scenes - incredibly funny, with quotable lines coming thick and fast.

However, the thing that tips the movie over from great to masterpiece is the music. Fantastic music, well made and produced with some great concert scenes to add to the vibe.

Performances from a cast of then-unknowns are spot-on. Great casting, as director Alan Parker would have been going out on a limb with many of them.

Wonderfully vibrant and funny, yet profound, movie.
½ October 1, 2015
Boring and unengaging. Music isn't great and the characters aren't likeable.
August 19, 2015
Una de esas películas músicales tan típicas de los noventa, pero que nos ofrece una graciosa y triste historia de lo que pudo ser y nunca fue. Una especie de radiografía que muestra lo difícil que es tener un grupo, especialmente en el Dublín de los 90.

Las actuaciones son más que correctas, pero sin duda la palma se la llevan Robert Artkins y Johnny Murphy. La fotografía retrata esplendidamente el Dublín de la época. Y la música es poco menos que exquisita.

Un "must see" para los melómanos.
July 13, 2015
Best movie ever where can I buy it!?!
June 17, 2015
The Commitments [Ireland, 1991] I hope its humour is as rich as its musical soundtrack. 6/10
June 15, 2015
A wonderful movie full of great music, twist and turns and life. A MUST SEE
April 1, 2015
The rise and fall of a fictional band is fun with great music with a gritty smell.
March 6, 2015
One of my favorite movies of all time. Music is unbelievable!
January 5, 2015
Between a 7/10 and 8/10, it's a celebration of black soul music...in one of the whitest places on Earth.
December 14, 2014
One of the best 'music movies' ever filmed, with the best live performance EVER! (Try a little tenderness)
September 25, 2014
Despite the cockney brogue, and the unfiltered language, this tough, gritty British-style comedy is a joyous hoot.

An original story set in bleak hard-times, and how a few people pull together to form a band thru personal struggles, rookie mistakes and only scrapping to compensate for naivety.

The rewards they get for their efforts are great music and fiery, cohesive performances that culminate into this uplifting, hilarious, unusually unforgettable American soul music send up from an unusual place - Ireland.
And magically, it works perfectly - firing on all cylinders.
Enjoy this foul-mouthed romp of scrappy performances, glorious 60s soul music, and a well crafted story that brings it all together.

I'd have loved to see the band of actors who took to touring,
based on the success of their movie.

4 out of 5 James-Brown-style Shouts
September 11, 2014
"We skipped the light fandango turned cartwheels 'cross the floor. I was feeling kinda seasick but the crowd called out for more" I'm still in awe by how clever was the use of that enigmatic line, it not only comes from one of my favourite songs, but works as a dignified compendium of a short-lived but magical trainwreck that the characters, and the public, can only watch passing by with a smile.
Quotable dialogue, riotous moments and genuine musical passion throughout. A gem once voted, deservedly, as the best irish film of all time.
½ August 3, 2014
One of my favourite movies - funny story and fantastic soundtrack only bettered by The Blues Brothers
July 18, 2014
I enjoyed this film to the fullest! Life in band filled with rehearsals and performances! Loved the story line show the rise and fall of the band The Commitments... when Jimmy assembles the band his dream is to bring Soul to the world. But life among the band members could not carry as well as they did on stage. I loved the performances, the music, and overall that it has no message just a great time being in a band! Contains a sense of inspiration to play music! At least for me... so if you have played in a band, or enjoy music and people who make it... check out The Commitments.
July 7, 2014
Well, I can't resist rock music like what we're getting in here.
½ April 25, 2014
Just re-saw this, and it was just as funny and full of good music as I remembered. An intelligent feel-good movie.
½ March 29, 2014
The Commitments is what I suspected from what people tell me. It was very moving and had good story development. This is another movie that has each character with a unique personality instead of a character just being there. Jimmy Rabitte was very likable and I felt he was the glue that kept the movie together not because he was the main character he was a bit of a mediator too even when angry. Seeing the true sides of a band backstage is a very interesting concept. I have been very pleased with the outcome of this film. A-