Madame Bovary Reviews

• Jul 30, 2020

Claude Chabrol's adaptation of Flaubert's classic is often misguided and so fast-paced that it loses track of its most subtle nuances, never quite grasping the true essence of the book - Isabelle Huppert, on the other hand, carries her character on the right tone, resulting in delightful moments.

• Aug 17, 2018

Stunning acting by Huppert, and the supporting cast was great, too. Having read the book and watched several versions of the film, this is one of the truest to the original by Flaubert. Highly recommended.

• Dec 03, 2017

The lusciousness of rustic French geography and fashion and Isabelle Huppert's rhapsodic performance in Claude Chabrol's allegedly loyal adaptation of Gustave Flaubert's erotic classic evokes poetic sensibilities for a romantically restless woman stifled by the boredom of a mediocre marriage and seduced by carnal lust and material greed.

• Mar 15, 2015

I know it's a 1991 production, but sorry to say, it's just tedious.

I know it's a 1991 production, but sorry to say, it's just tedious.

• Jun 05, 2014

Even though much of the novel is gone -- this film, in my opinion, is the best film adaptation of Flaubert's "perfect" novel. However, at times, it feels as though Chabrol is a bit too enraptured with Huppert's beauty and the pacing is thrown off. Still, a masterful work.

• Feb 03, 2014

Isabelle Huppert delivers the tragic and complicated Madame Bovary brilliantly.

Isabelle Huppert delivers the tragic and complicated Madame Bovary brilliantly.

• Jul 11, 2013

Tame in intensity and passion when compared to the novel. I don't think Isabelle Huppert was able to capture Emma's anguished sensuality as much as she was able to capture her need to escape the confines of her monotonous life.

• Dec 25, 2012

I found it to be a slow movie, and I really didn't like the portrayal of the heroine, though that could just be the accurate representation of the character from the book (which I have not yet read). Sometime later in the movie, I just took the DVD out and stopped watching it, which I *never* do.

• Dec 17, 2012

(***): [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif[/img] Interesting and well-acted.

• Jun 09, 2012

Bom filme pra uma história clássica, porà (C)m muito moderna ao seu tempo!

Bom filme pra uma história clássica, porà (C)m muito moderna ao seu tempo!