The Circus Reviews

• Oct 04, 2020

Hilarious; one of Chaplin's finest achievements!

Hilarious; one of Chaplin's finest achievements!

• Sep 29, 2020

Definitely one of the darker Chaplin films, there are still plenty of funny moments but there is a grim quality to the story in the nature of the circus and the people who perform in it, from the affected humour of the clowns to the trapped girl acrobat who is abused by her father when she doesn't perform as well as he would like.

• Aug 30, 2020

I have been watching a lot of Charlie Chaplin movies in close proximity recently, so it is hard not to compare all of them. I think "The Circus" is a very solid classic movie, I just like some of the other Chaplin films I have seen so far a bit more. The movie has funny moments and a lot of heart like all of his movies and if you like other movies he made, this one is also worth checking out. The story is simple but the themes are fairly complex for its time and that makes the movie a fascinating piece of history that is both light and very sweet.

• Aug 09, 2020

Not one of Chaplin's best, but hey, it's Chaplin.

Not one of Chaplin's best, but hey, it's Chaplin.

• Jul 23, 2020

Below average by Chaplin standards.

Below average by Chaplin standards.

• Nov 30, 2019

It's a little different compared to a 2019 film isn't it? :)

It's a little different compared to a 2019 film isn't it? :)

• Aug 25, 2019

A classic love track, sound track, gag reel and simply smart filmmaking. The Circus I think I can go ahead and say that this is my favourite Chaplin feature. I wish I knew why and I don't either. The writer, director, actor and composer Charlie Chaplin has struck gold in this adventure. The germ of the idea was definitely the change in location and spreading still the same humor, humility and belief. And yet, it remains unfiltered for its sweetness. No matter how accurate and magnanimous your vision is on pulling off a dark gritty drama, it would rarely add to the "I wish.." list for its "beware" and "wit" tingling sensation in you. While this sweet love story like this has legs that goes for decades and even centuries for it catches you with big fluffy pillows as you fall down with gullible likeness in mind. A bread and an egg, the story starts from and it is where it ends. And yes, I get that some might even find this heartbreaking, but Chaplin's genius in the last act of the film, was that he satisfies you with such absorbing themes, that by the end you don't really care how The Circus will finish the show. The product is gift wrapped and delivered to your doors as soon as the last act begins. The key is to never go beyond anyone's perspective other than Chaplin's. And this was all drama. The rest of the fill in, are fabulous gags that looks like Chaplin has installed to test himself as an actor, a performer. From enacting like a robotic puppet to multiplying himself on screen to bossing around his opposing co-star like a mentor. Over the years, the only issue I had was with the do over process of the interview of his job, until I realized this time that those mandatory gags were not actually for the laughs, but a showcase of his commitment on the hard work that he inadvertently cares for.

• Mar 23, 2019

A rather tight, simple premise that blossoms under the influence of Charlie Chaplin's expert touch, like a majority of his timeless classics. This go-around, he happens upon a traveling circus, inadvertently stumbles his way into becoming a star attraction, falls for the trapeze girl and finds trouble with her father, the ringmaster. Sprinkled along the way are frequent doses of brilliant physical comedy, inventive and original as ever, which playfully goof around with the trappings of daily life around the carnival grounds. Chaplin suffered several personal hardships during filming - a messy public divorce, a ruinous studio fire, the death of a parent - and tucked in amidst all the hijinx and gags I found a tinge of quiet sadness and reflection. Particularly late in the picture, when the plucky Tramp falls into the friend zone and struggles with jealousy over his girl's new fling, he emits an air of desperation, then acceptance, that organically develops into a sweet, unexpected climax. It's easy to get the sense that he worked through quite a bit with this picture, both behind the camera and before it, which elevates the product from a very good silent comedy into something more significant, something lasting. The parting shot, in which the show noisily rides off to the next town while Chaplin is left in the dust, serves as a potent metaphor for his fears over the steamrolling arrival of sound cinema (The Jazz Singer opened a mere three months before The Circus) and adds yet another layer to the complex emotional undercurrent. A phenomenal, and oft-overlooked, bit of understated work from one of Hollywood's brightest stars.

• Jan 27, 2019

The best comedy movie ever made!

The best comedy movie ever made!

• Nov 20, 2018

Yet another genius work from the legendary Charlie Chaplin. Hilarious, at times moving and cleverly made work of art.