The Quick and the Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Quick and the Dead Reviews

October 1, 2017
I didn't watch a thousand westerns growning up as a kid like many older movie reviewers. Because this is so, I've only seen about 5-6 westerns before I saw this movie by Raimi. So I don't see the cliches. I only see a good movie.
½ September 22, 2017
it had a b-rated feel to it !! saw it for the first time last night it has 3 oscar winners in it who knew !! ð?¤?
September 18, 2017
My 1st sight of Russell Crowe and I was in love.
September 16, 2017
In the American West, a town boss hosts a deadly contest for gunslingers.

Look, everybody's got their guilty pleasures and this is one of mine. We've got Academy Award winners Leonardo DiCaprio, Gene Hackman, and Russell Crowe - people who know what they're doing. Give it a chance.
July 27, 2017
There are too many fast paced close ups to make this movie a 5 star film, but there are enough thrills to keep the audience on intrigued.
July 24, 2017
A classic western film. The quick and the dead is one of the most cult classic film that Sam raimi ever directed and I love his film like darkman, the evil dead films, and the spider-man films to but overall awesome western film a cult classic well done.
June 17, 2017
good fun revenge western that is overlooked but just give a chace the cast is amazing
June 4, 2017
A unique film in the Western Genre. Gets better as time goes on . Good script brought to life by a Well chosen cast , with brilliant performance by a young Leonardo DiCaprio .
March 20, 2017
Sam Raimi isn't a very good director and can't tell a story very well. This film proves it as it's more about reference than originality. Even the flashback to Gary Sinise's death is almost completely stolen from 'Once Upon A Time In The West'. Stone is laughable (as always), Di Caprio has done better, Crow stands around looking angry and in need of a shower, and Hackman gives an over-the-top impersonation of his role in 'Unforgiven'.
January 17, 2017
Great western. See it
November 23, 2016
Though intentionally over the top, The Quick and the Dead couldn't end quick enough.
October 4, 2016
The Quick and the Dead (1995) C-105m. ?? D: Sam Raimi. Sharon Stone, Gene Hackman, Russell Crowe, Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobin Bell, Roberts Blossom, Lance Henriksen. What a cast! What a waste! A wonderful filmmaker's worst film: cynical storyline involves Stone seeking revenge on Hackman, who has years prior killed her lover. How does she approach this? Why, by entering in a smarmy town's annual quick-draw contest of course! (And you think your neighborhood has problems?) Instead of devising clever plot twists, Raimi shows us how many different ways somebody can be shot. Great casting in bit parts is completely negated by idiotic writing, lugubrious pacing, and some of the most pointless face shots in movie history. Hackman has fun with his offbeat role as wicked dictator of town (as do we) but he sinks deep under awful storytelling. Ah yes, there is also a pretentious musical score, if anyone cares. Rent SILVERADO instead.
½ August 21, 2016
Silly, over-the-top, cliche-laden Western. Gene Hackman is a great villain. Everyone else is fine, if unexceptional. Perfectly enjoyable if you want to turn your brain off for a couple of hours and watch some gunfights, but better Westerns (and better Sam Raimi films) are available.
½ July 31, 2016
Una mujer encarnado al forajido que busca venganza, y un torneo de duelo de pistoleros... ¿Qué mejor premisa se le puede pedir a un western?

Sin embargo, esta obra está curtida de desgracias, y la mayor de todas es ser demasiado "block buster" para su bien. En su afán de complacer al público entrega escenas de sexo que no vienen a cuento, explosiones innecesarias y hasta movimientos argumentales que se tornan predecibles. Para colmo de males, ni el mismo Raimi es consciente de lo que tiene entre manos, porque de vez en cuando se le va la olla e imprime sus tan características pinceladas de serie B que malogran aún más este trabajo.
July 6, 2016
Sam Raimi's western has a great idea but a boring execution.
½ May 27, 2016
160527: One of my favorite western films. A great concept; an elimination tournament between gunfighters. Neat firearms represented. Cool characters and costumes. Good action. Two scenes piss me off each time I watch this movie however; when both Cantrell and Herod are shot. Bullet wounds do not leave holes you can see through! A terrible idea and detracts from the overall quality of the film, this time dropping it below 4 stars. Still, one of my favorites and I eagerly anticipate a remake, update, modernization. Now that would be awesome.
May 9, 2016
In no way is this a great movie. It's a guilty pleasure for me. Sharon Stone, Russell Crowe, DiCaprio, and the great Gene Hackman in this western about a little girl who becomes a gunslinger, to avenge her father. It's corny, and some of the dialogue is ridiculous but I like it. I dig movies with female leads being badass.
April 30, 2016
The Quick And The Dead benefits from a top-notch narrative and delivers solid performances from Sharon Stone, Gene Hackman and pre-Titanic heartthrob Leonardo DiCaprio.
April 10, 2016
Cheesy photography, stupid dialog
April 2, 2016
I think it was a great movie. I think Sharon stone played a wonderful heart even if it was a woman against man. I think that it was Stella moving for women to think that maybe there were women back in those days who could send men and do retribution back for the murder of their parent or family members.