The Quick and the Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Quick and the Dead Reviews

October 4, 2016
The Quick and the Dead (1995) C-105m. ?? D: Sam Raimi. Sharon Stone, Gene Hackman, Russell Crowe, Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobin Bell, Roberts Blossom, Lance Henriksen. What a cast! What a waste! A wonderful filmmaker's worst film: cynical storyline involves Stone seeking revenge on Hackman, who has years prior killed her lover. How does she approach this? Why, by entering in a smarmy town's annual quick-draw contest of course! (And you think your neighborhood has problems?) Instead of devising clever plot twists, Raimi shows us how many different ways somebody can be shot. Great casting in bit parts is completely negated by idiotic writing, lugubrious pacing, and some of the most pointless face shots in movie history. Hackman has fun with his offbeat role as wicked dictator of town (as do we) but he sinks deep under awful storytelling. Ah yes, there is also a pretentious musical score, if anyone cares. Rent SILVERADO instead.
½ August 21, 2016
Silly, over-the-top, cliche-laden Western. Gene Hackman is a great villain. Everyone else is fine, if unexceptional. Perfectly enjoyable if you want to turn your brain off for a couple of hours and watch some gunfights, but better Westerns (and better Sam Raimi films) are available.
½ July 31, 2016
Una mujer encarnado al forajido que busca venganza, y un torneo de duelo de pistoleros... ¿Qué mejor premisa se le puede pedir a un western?

Sin embargo, esta obra está curtida de desgracias, y la mayor de todas es ser demasiado "block buster" para su bien. En su afán de complacer al público entrega escenas de sexo que no vienen a cuento, explosiones innecesarias y hasta movimientos argumentales que se tornan predecibles. Para colmo de males, ni el mismo Raimi es consciente de lo que tiene entre manos, porque de vez en cuando se le va la olla e imprime sus tan características pinceladas de serie B que malogran aún más este trabajo.
July 6, 2016
Sam Raimi's western has a great idea but a boring execution.
½ May 27, 2016
160527: One of my favorite western films. A great concept; an elimination tournament between gunfighters. Neat firearms represented. Cool characters and costumes. Good action. Two scenes piss me off each time I watch this movie however; when both Cantrell and Herod are shot. Bullet wounds do not leave holes you can see through! A terrible idea and detracts from the overall quality of the film, this time dropping it below 4 stars. Still, one of my favorites and I eagerly anticipate a remake, update, modernization. Now that would be awesome.
May 9, 2016
In no way is this a great movie. It's a guilty pleasure for me. Sharon Stone, Russell Crowe, DiCaprio, and the great Gene Hackman in this western about a little girl who becomes a gunslinger, to avenge her father. It's corny, and some of the dialogue is ridiculous but I like it. I dig movies with female leads being badass.
April 30, 2016
The Quick And The Dead benefits from a top-notch narrative and delivers solid performances from Sharon Stone, Gene Hackman and pre-Titanic heartthrob Leonardo DiCaprio.
April 10, 2016
Cheesy photography, stupid dialog
April 2, 2016
I think it was a great movie. I think Sharon stone played a wonderful heart even if it was a woman against man. I think that it was Stella moving for women to think that maybe there were women back in those days who could send men and do retribution back for the murder of their parent or family members.
March 30, 2016
There are so many great scenes that it covers the bad ones. Great movie that will become a standard tv great movie like Troy. I love so many of these scenes that even though the movie as a whole lacks alot I love it.
November 29, 2015
It coulda been good!
November 28, 2015
This is not the best western movie ever made, but it was fun. The problem I had was with Sam Raimi. His style is so silly that I couldn't figure out if he was trying to take it seriously and failing, or being self aware and pushing that far enough. Over all it was worth the watch and I will watch it again.
November 18, 2015
Tan entretenida como incomprendida.
November 3, 2015
Sam Raimi! Definitely one of the more "fun" western flicks. A bit silly at times, but definitely worth watching.
October 26, 2015
A spaghetti western with a lot of pasta sauce.
August 30, 2015
Kind of a decent western!
August 24, 2015
A rarity in that our central hero, who follows the trope of the outsider who speaks very little except for peering mysteriously from underneath a a cowboy hat, also happens to be a woman. Stone is in control here (one of few times that would be the case) and is supported by three of cinemas best. It's good, without the cold, grittiness of the great Westerns, but it's still good.
½ August 22, 2015
I've watched this many times since I was a kid. A cheesy but entertaining modern western with some fun cool scenes and sad serious moments but with too many needlessly over-the-top comical parts that drops the film down a few pegs. The lead star, Sharon Stone was the weakest actor in this film though while Hackman, Crowe, DiCapario, all performed their characters well I thought, each with some very memorable scenes.
½ August 18, 2015
I liked this... it had an interesting enough story....
June 29, 2015
nice cast, nice acting, nice movie