Babe - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Babe Reviews

September 16, 2017
This and the sequel are two of my favorite movies. Sweet and charming.
August 23, 2017
Cute movie for the kids. It's a nice story that warms the heart
July 29, 2017
A farm fantasy that translates animals' thoughts into well-scripted drama which, whilst a bit more on the kiddy side overall, produces humor and insight for everyone.
½ July 12, 2017
It worked well back when I was a kid and first saw it.
June 26, 2017
Great children's movie starring who knows but their good. I watched this movie a ton of times as a kid. It still enjoys me and still entertaining.
½ June 16, 2017
This movie is a gem. It's one of my childhood favorites, and it still makes me laugh, cry, and cheer. The slight animation of the animals talking is subtle enough to stand the test of time, for the most part. Overall a really great family movie.
May 16, 2017
cause it's about a pig
May 13, 2017
Looks like about 33% of people need to get ba rammed a few more times until they come to their senses.
½ May 1, 2017
A good classic movie for anyone to enjoy!
½ March 20, 2017
"That'll do, pig. That'll do."
March 20, 2017
"Pork is a nice sweet meat!"
February 28, 2017
Funny, relaxing, and heart-warming!
½ February 21, 2017
Babe feels like a classic animated movie for kids that is told with live action animals. It's so charming and sweet that it can appeal to adults as well, and surprisingly it even earned a Best Picture Oscar nomination too. The work that is done in this film by animal trainers is extraordinary. I am stunned by all the well-choreographed movements, and I wonder how they managed to do some of it without injuring some of the animals. The main human in the film is James Cromwell and he is excellent as a kindhearted farmer who rarely speaks, which makes his words mean that much more. For those who don't know the film, the story is as ridiculous as it is simple. There's a sweet young pig who goes to live with a farmer who doesn't raise pigs. So, without any of his own kind on the farm, Babe lives with the sheepdogs. As a result he gets the idea that he can be a sheepdog. Babe is one of those movies that I can't see myself ever thinking "I need to see that again" and yet if I watch it I'll think "I'm glad I saw that again." The story and characters are so endearing that it has a timeless quality like any classic Disney fairy-tale. It's a film that I would recommend people watch with the whole family, because it should have a little something to entertain everyone.
February 14, 2017
Kids won't see it for much more than a sweet and funny story with cute talking animals, but that's all they'll really ask for. Meanwhile, older viewers may find a coming-of-age tale about challenging the norm whilst staying true to yourself, which just goes to show that "Babe" is a nice family feature with something for everyone.
½ February 13, 2017
Babe transcends being a great movie for children, it stands among the greatest fables. The style is meticulous but subtle, serious but warm.
½ February 2, 2017
'Babe', a movie not about woman or the greatest home run hitter of all-time portrays a pig in a world where all animals can communicate with each other. It certainly doesn't overstay its welcome but there isn't much here that will resonate with anyone over the age of 11. Final Score: 6.7/10
January 24, 2017
What makes Babe great is its great cast and a suprisingly emotional story.
January 8, 2017
I've been ask if I have seen many great movies that were from the 1990s. Here's one of them: Babe. Babe is the most unique family film I have seen in a long time. Director Chris Noonan teams up with Director George Miller (Mad Max movies), to create one of the most intelligent films ever made by bringing Dick King-Smith's classic book, The Sheep-Pig to life in the movie of a lifetime.

Babe tells the story of a young piglet named Babe(Christine Cavanaugh, who voiced Chuckie in Rugrats) who was separated by his family when he was young and was chosen in a "Guess the Weight" competition at a county fair. The winner of the competition, Farmer Arthur Hoggett (a stellar performance by James Cromwell), takes Babe home to his farm, and his wife Esme Hogget (Magda Szubanski) is planning to eat the pig.

Left alone in the barn, Babe gets adopted by a dog name Fly (Miriam Margolyes), and is accepted by her low-hearted husband Rex (Hugo Weaving). He befriends a sheep named Maa (Miriam Flynn), who becomes very nice to him and not treating him like a wolf, who harm the sheep. Babe also befriends an annoying, funny, quirky duck named Ferdinand (a hilarious Danny Mann), who learns that ducks are also used for dinner and decides to act like a rooster every morning to wake the farmer up.

Babe learns that pigs have no purpose on the farm and Fly decides to train Babe in to herding sheep. Which results in a shocking way for the Farmer who then decides to train him for sheep-herding competition which is only used for dogs, but Hoggett won't give up.

Due to spectacular visual effects to make the animals look like they are having a conversation, and an unforgettable script written by Noonan and Miller, Babe is listed as one of the greatest family movies of all time. James Cromwell's performance is astonishing and earned him an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor. The film was also nominated for Best Picture of 1995. In my opinion, it is the best picture of 1995.

Apollo 13 may have unique visuals, but Babe's visuals were more realistic. Braveheart had wonderful direction, and screenwriting and I'm happy it won, but Babe was my favorite movie of the decade. I compared this with Toy Story as the greatest film or family film of 1995. It was a tough decision, but Babe won my heart way more. Babe is the movie everybody should watch. I am in love with this movie! One of the greatest films I have ever seen. It has drama, comedy, and a wonderful story to lift everybody's heart. Babe is a fun film the whole family can enjoy.
December 28, 2016
I grew up watching this film ,is actually not half bad.
November 30, 2016
161130: Could this be considered a Christmas film? Babe does sing Jingle Bells. From Ferdinand's animated behavior while standing six over Babe's attempt to steel the mechanical rooster to all the farm animals watching the first ever sheep-pig competition on TV, this film had me laughing out loud. Though a bit slow, and obviously anti-meat, Babe is a great film. Haven't seen it in years but my son's desire to have a pet pig forced the dust off this classic. And a classic it is. Even recognized a few unique features I'd missed in the past including the fact that Rex is actually Agent Smith (Hugo Weaving) from the Matrix series. Trust me, Rex took on new meaning with this viewing. Seriously though; this film is a winner. Enjoy.