Dead Man Walking - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dead Man Walking Reviews

½ March 26, 2018
Very overrated. I didn't like how it turned out and I can't imagine this film would sit well with anybody regardless of what your beliefs are. (First and only full viewing - 3/1/2009)
January 26, 2018
A drama that takes you on an emotional rollercoaster ride. The acting is superb, led by Sarandon and Penn. The storyline is unique, as it follows the developing relationship between the 2 stars. The movie looks at the issue of capital punishment from all sides, ie the victims' families, the accused, a supportive nun, etc.
½ January 15, 2018
The politics of this crime drama are lackluster, but its performances and heart are not to be outdone.
August 21, 2017
A very good performance of the duo Sean Penn and Susan Saradon in confronting opposing worlds that meet at a crossroad, death row. On one side the personification of monstrosity, on the other the personification of innocence and purity. This movie forces you to put into perspective many topics such as: capital punishment, the sanctity of life, unspeakable grief, human forgiveness, redemption, humanized monsters, trial injustice, prejudice, mercifulness, and the importance of repent. A must-see when inspecting Sean Penn's career.
June 16, 2017
Would give zero stars if possible. Acting was fine. But this was a sick slick pro-murderer propaganda film, ignoring the willful evil and depravity of the monster who chose to do unspeakable things to innocent victims. Prejean is in truth a shameless media whore who destroys victims families. Read Dead Family Walking and Victims of Dead Man Walking to learn the truth.
May 6, 2017
This atonement Academcy acclaimed movie is what great movies are made of! Sarandon's performance was not crafted but embodied. The movie adaption of the book might not have provoked political or legal shifts but it sure did set the balling rolling for academic discourses.
April 10, 2017
My Favorite Film Of All Time Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
½ February 28, 2017
A challenging film where religious faith and divisive politics collide, "Dead Man Walking" is an important study of character.
½ October 30, 2016
How did Sean Penn not get the Oscar for this? Worth seeing for his performance alone, whatever your thoughts on the death penalty. Bonus (for me) - an appearance by Jack Black, in a dramatic role!
September 17, 2016
Standing the test of time, Tim Robbins deftly directs two acting Titans, Sarandon and Penn in an unflinching look into death row. A second viewing 20 years after its initial release is completely worth it.
½ September 14, 2016
The scenes when Susan Sarandon and Sean Penn are together just before his execution are so ridiculously cheesy that I almost gave this a 3. Especially when she sings to him. Just remembering it makes me cringe. The film also feels too drawn out. But it's multi-dimensional and has strong points earlier on throughout the film which make up for this.
July 17, 2016
Worthy of the praise thousands before me have given it.
½ June 8, 2016
I wish I would have liked it more... That movie was consacred by critics. But it was definitely too long...
Ce film s'étirait en longueur, j'aurais voulu dire que je l'ai aimé plus que ça étant donné les louanges des critiques mais ce n'est pas le cas...
½ March 28, 2016
Makes you reflect on your own life and others' wrong doings. Sean Penn pretty much nailed this one, but there's a few weak bits in the film overall.
½ March 13, 2016
little slow , great performances
March 11, 2016
"I just wanna say I think killin' is wrong. No matter who does it, whether it's me or y'all or your government" Poderosa película que no presenta el tema de los diferentes puntos de vista pero sobretodo del punto de vista humano. Muchos debates se pueden sacar se esto.
March 11, 2016
It's essentially an exploration of capital punishment from various angles, while also having Sarandon at her best.
December 13, 2015
The finale of the film is deeply affecting and the film does a great job of showing the many characters different perspectives and the hatred the victims parents have for the criminal. It succeeded in treating a delicate issue fairly and it also had a very talented cast, but the film was slow and gentle, which I think didn't fit the mood that the title implies. The movie was also much more centered around the nun than it was about the criminal.
December 2, 2015
Sean Penn is sublime. Amazing, adaptogen on the screen. I love him. Never convicted of DomesticMadonnaViolence* I love his acting, his rugged handsome face. God broke the mold and spared others from trying to live up to Sean Penn. Anthropologies amazing homosapien.
November 25, 2015
A daring, objective and thought-provoking drama that inspires us to reflect on such medieval practice and discuss it for hours straight, even if it also respects those who are in favor, and it has two magnificent and greatly nuanced performances by Sean Penn and Susan Sarandon.