Independence Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Independence Day Reviews

½ November 3, 2017
A top blockbuster action film with great special effects!
October 14, 2017
One of my all time favorites that I seen in theaters
October 8, 2017
As a movie that exists for the sole purpose of entertaining the audience, Independence Day delivers entertainment and then some.
September 21, 2017
I don't find Independence Day to be a movie I'll be watching every fortnight and still not get tired of it but rather a movie I might watch again once or twice within a few months' time. A bit lacking in character development and you don't need to watch a B-movie from the '50s to tell that the story is no different from the aforementioned B-movies which like to depict aliens as warmongering monsters. Like everyone else, I find Will Smith to be the best thing that the entire movie has to offer but Jeff Goldblum ain't half bad either. I laughed a few times. And then there was that awesome giant explosion sequence that makes me believe that Roland Emmerich was from where Michael Bay drew his inspiration in spite of the fact that this movie came out a year after his directorial debut, Bad Boys. And the climax is still thrilling as always with a personal favourite quote/one-liner of mine: "Hello boys...I'm BAAAACK!!!". Filled with spectacle, action and one of the greatest cinematic speeches Hollywood has to offer, Independence Day may be simplistic but it's still an awesome, dumb and fun ride.
September 12, 2017
Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum as spaces odd couple make this movie special. Judd Hirisch is also excellent. Spectacular special effects, great one liners makes this the perfect go with the flow movie. The aliens and their craft are well developed and impressively portrayed, not no much brain power required for this one but sit back and enjoy the ride!
August 27, 2017
Loved it! Can watch it again and again! The unforgettable moment when the alien spaceships emerge from the fiery clouds definitely is the movie's best moment. Exciting, riveting action, great story line and great acting beginning to end. Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum play very well off of each other, offering us humor and giving the movie it's great likeability! Harry Conick Jr. brings a sense of authenticity and humanity to an otherwise, I've seen it before attack scene, when he transforms into "The Reverend" and offers some encouraging words to the fighter pilots as they go up against the alien ship. Great job! Margaret Colin is strong as the President's press secretary and as Jeff Goldblum's ex wife. I truly enjoy Will Smith in everything he does. He's extremely talented. I do, however, sometimes sense undertones of arrogance and possibly racism, even though I'm sure that's not what he wants to portray. I wonder how generous he is an actor as he doesn't seem to like to let his co-stars shine. I may be totally wrong. In any case I enjoy his acting. A strong male lead needs, and is entitled to, a bit of arrogance I suppose. A presidential figure is hard to cast and I've said before that we're lacking serious character actors these days, but Bill Pullham pulled it off pretty well. Although I was more comfortable with him as a pilot and husband than as the president, but no harm done. Good job! I think we need to start casting serious dignified unknown actors in presidential roles as it's hard to pull off. Robert Loggia played Gen Grey convincingly with strength and integrity. He can stand by my side anyday! All in all, it's a movie I'll watch every time it's on and actually I would sit through the whole movie just for the last scene to watch long-legged and gorgeous Jeff Goldblum saunter across the desert in that flight suit! YES indeed!
½ July 29, 2017
A bit hokey for today's standards, but it's a welcome break from the grimdark movies of today.
July 26, 2017
Will Smith's funny. Cool aliens, and awesome action. This film will always live on as a fun classic.
½ July 25, 2017
I don't understand why this movie is so popular there is no story and Will Smith can't act worth crap
July 24, 2017
It would take a book of a review to explain what this movie has meant to me for over 20 years. In 1996, Independence Day was a movie I absolutely needed, and at the time was the coolest thing I had ever seen. I have yet to see a film that effected me in the same way, and I probably never will. Favorite movie of all time.
July 9, 2017
Story about aliens that come to earth and destroy every major city and so the USA has to figure out how to kill them. This movie is so idiotic and silly. Some of the worst acting imaginable. But its still good. I enjoyed it. Hard to dislike.
½ July 8, 2017
I really liked it . The plot line was good . Also the graphics were great for a movie made in 1996.
July 5, 2017
the best film throughout the year of 1996
July 4, 2017
A cool-as-ice alien invasion classic that's funny, eye-popping, and barely serious.
July 4, 2017
With groundbreaking and truly amazing effects, complex and interesting characters, and a heartwarming ending, Independence Day goes down as one of the best alien invasion films in history.
July 4, 2017
We Watched This Movie In Ms. Sindelar's Class Once When I Brought It In On DVD.
July 1, 2017
Independence Day stars Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum in this 1996 alien invasion film.
The first time I saw this film, I loved it. The visuals are top-notch, the acting is good, and the over all scope was unlike anything I've ever seen.
To this day, I feel the same way about it.
The film is iconic for a few reasons.
1. The White House exploding.
2. Will Smith.
...
Can't remember anything else :(
It was still a good time.
Normally when I think of an alien invasion movie, Independence Day is the first one that comes to mind.
Over all, It is a fantastic film-watching experience. One that in not going to be forgotten any time soon. 5/5 stars
½ May 20, 2017
Decent movie I do like the presidents(bill Pullman) big speech.
May 18, 2017
5/14/2017 (3): A great flick! An interesting story with an amazing cast and good action.
May 4, 2017
Far from the epic force it is hailed as. It is long and kind of dumb at times, but it's still a fun movie. (First viewing - Teen years)