Independence Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Independence Day Reviews

October 19, 2016
Will Smith, Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman lead the fight against an alien excursion! Great movie!
½ October 15, 2016
A classic of my generation. It blew my mind at the theater. Quintessential 90's action-scifi.
October 14, 2016
Only this...LOVED IT!!!!
October 10, 2016
Not the best, but it isn't bad. I give it a 60%
October 8, 2016
When you take out the explosions and the spaceship fight scenes, "Independence Day" is actually kind of boring.
½ October 8, 2016
So much potential. I remember before it was launched the expectations around the movie were so was nice to watch, but the comedy and clichés just made it not all that I wanted. The special effects and CG are some of the best of the 90. Score: 7,0/1 0,0
½ October 4, 2016
The story was good as it unfolded, and by half of it, they just started to push some nonsense just to finish the movie with less than 6 hours playtime
September 28, 2016
A glorious nostalgic 90s romp. A stellar cast with some fantastic practical effects,
September 21, 2016
Absolutely astonishing! Roland Emmerich deserves to be a part of the great filmmakers of all time.
½ September 19, 2016
Independence Day is a film that I kind of liked when I was younger, yet I always recognized that it wasn't great. Sure enough, upon a rewatch, I had the exact same opinion. There are moments of greatness in this film, for instance any time Will Smith is on screen. The biggest problem in Independence Day is that it takes almost an hour before the action really gets started. It's fine to setup your characters and make them people you care about, but this movie takes that to the extreme. By the time the first building is destroyed I almost needed smelling salts to wake up and notice it. But then the entire thing shifts on a dime and becomes a superb disaster film. One of the best aspects is the fact that it constantly reminds you of the hopeless situation, you literally can see no way out of it. Then it shifts again and becomes a glorious action/sci-fi film which I enjoy a lot. The problem is that the final conclusion hinges on a stupid laptop communicating directly with alien technology and somehow creating a virus in the mother-ship. Are you kidding me? I can suspend my disbelief, but that's asking me to levitate my disbelief with the Force. I'd be really annoyed if I wasn't distracted by one of the greatest speeches in film history!!! I am so up-and-down with Independence Day that I either want to watch it again immediately, or never want to watch it again for the rest of my life. It's amazing how a movie can have so many brilliant scenes and then match those with an equal number of stupid scenes. Somehow, despite all its flaws, I wind up thinking I still like Independence Day. But when I do watch it again, I wouldn't be surprised if my finger hovers over the fast-forward button the whole time.
½ September 18, 2016
This movie was so bad I walked out in the middle of it, that was 1996 and then I see they made a part 2 this year. My only question is why?
September 15, 2016
Con una pessima sceneggiatura e personaggi scontati, Independence Day è il classico film di un invasione aliena pieno di cliché dall'inizio alla fine, che solo un bambino di 10 anni riuscirebbe ad apprezzare.
September 6, 2016
Stupid fun! The story may be thin but a great cast and good humor deliver a great movie you can enjoy.
½ September 5, 2016
Independence Day is an excellent film. It is about the aliens that are coming and their goal is to invade and destroy Earth. Will Smith and Bill Pullman give amazing performances. The script is well written. Roland Emmerich did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the action and adventure. Independence Day is a must see.
September 4, 2016
Good movie, terrible ending. Did they run out of budget? or did the writers just forget they needed an ending until the filming started?
It isn't a terrible twist, but it was handled so "cheesy".
August 21, 2016
It's an okay movie.
Positives: Plot.
Negatives: Not enough character development, specially Will Smith's character.
½ August 20, 2016
A Great Action Sci-Fi fun movie with good performances and especially Will Smith was so good that you just cant remove your eyes from the screen when he appears. The movie was funny when needed and gives us some huge action scenes.
½ August 16, 2016
Independence Day is one of those films that instantly allows you to just sit back, relax, and enjoy.