Independence Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Independence Day Reviews

March 20, 2017
Pretty standard action flick which does what it sets out to do - thrill and enthral. Could have benefited without the 'slapstick' moments.
March 13, 2017
This movie was actually really cool and fun. While a little overblown, it is still really funny and neat. Also it was a little funny.
March 8, 2017
A cheesy B movie with a big budget that benefits from the charm of Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum.
½ March 3, 2017
2017-03-03 watched for 2nd or 3rd time with hubby
February 6, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 18, 2017
fun but everything besides the action is stretched to thin
½ January 15, 2017
If your looking for a strong narrative and fleshed out characters, look elsewhere. If your looking for the bread and butter of Summer Blockbusters that thrill and excite, please take a seat in front of Independence Day.
January 15, 2017
Another one of my favs!
½ January 7, 2017
My full opinion: 3.5/5.
January 7, 2017
One of the most iconic American Scy-fyi films, not necessarily the best but definitely a cult classic. Independence Day has a strange mix of humor, grit, and emotion to it that at times throws a viewer for a loop. One scene you might be getting a heartfelt moment between two characters and the next scene could involve one of the more cartoonish characters which can sometimes break immersion. However I must say that these moments are few and do not diminish the overall experience for me. Most of the humor and light hearted moments in the film are excellently executed largely due to the acting chops and charm of the cast among of which include Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum. The action sequences are tense without being too drawn out and the effects and CGI still hold up decently today for the most part thanks to practical effects. The film does its job and it does it well making the aliens gross, creepy, and powerful. Everytime you see these characters go up against the technologically advanced aliens you always feel as though they are at a huge disadvantage and gives you a nice uneasy feeling. My main gripes only go as far as those few missed and odd grit to humor transitions and the fact that many of the characters lack depth, but honestly these are only minor gripes in what is already a fantastic, fun, and iconic film that has survived and held up to this day 21 years later.
½ January 2, 2017
Guilty pleasure with some serious nostalgia. After the sequel I felt it necessary to review this one.
December 9, 2016
One of my favorite movies of all time. Great popcorn fun!!
December 9, 2016
So much fun, very fast past, awesome disaster sequences, and some of the best characters ever.
½ November 8, 2016
Fun, exciting movie. Very good effects for 90's CGI.
½ November 2, 2016
Although I'm looking back at "Independence Day" 20 years after its release, and yes, the effects are cheesy, it still strikes as an entertaining ride. Will Smith (Capt. Steven Hiller) is in his prime during this movie, his performance is fantastic, and Jeff Goldblum (David Levonson) also provides with a lot of flare in this movie. Those two together are what made this movie watchable. The pacing though, is the issue with this movie. Nearly two and a half hours long, this movie could have been cut WAY down, there were so many seems that just seem irrelevant, and I genuinely had a tough time getting through this entire movie. At the end of the day, "Independence Day" is by no means a classic action movie, but has some entertaining elements and effects that make it a movie worth watching if you're bored.
October 19, 2016
Will Smith, Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman lead the fight against an alien excursion! Great movie!
½ October 15, 2016
A classic of my generation. It blew my mind at the theater. Quintessential 90's action-scifi.
October 14, 2016
Only this...LOVED IT!!!!
October 10, 2016
Not the best, but it isn't bad. I give it a 60%
October 8, 2016
When you take out the explosions and the spaceship fight scenes, "Independence Day" is actually kind of boring.