Independence Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Independence Day Reviews

½ January 15, 2017
If your looking for a strong narrative and fleshed out characters, look elsewhere. If your looking for the bread and butter of Summer Blockbusters that thrill and excite, please take a seat in front of Independence Day.
January 15, 2017
Another one of my favs!
½ January 7, 2017
My full opinion: 3.5/5.
January 7, 2017
One of the most iconic American Scy-fyi films, not necessarily the best but definitely a cult classic. Independence Day has a strange mix of humor, grit, and emotion to it that at times throws a viewer for a loop. One scene you might be getting a heartfelt moment between two characters and the next scene could involve one of the more cartoonish characters which can sometimes break immersion. However I must say that these moments are few and do not diminish the overall experience for me. Most of the humor and light hearted moments in the film are excellently executed largely due to the acting chops and charm of the cast among of which include Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum. The action sequences are tense without being too drawn out and the effects and CGI still hold up decently today for the most part thanks to practical effects. The film does its job and it does it well making the aliens gross, creepy, and powerful. Everytime you see these characters go up against the technologically advanced aliens you always feel as though they are at a huge disadvantage and gives you a nice uneasy feeling. My main gripes only go as far as those few missed and odd grit to humor transitions and the fact that many of the characters lack depth, but honestly these are only minor gripes in what is already a fantastic, fun, and iconic film that has survived and held up to this day 21 years later.
½ January 2, 2017
Guilty pleasure with some serious nostalgia. After the sequel I felt it necessary to review this one.
December 9, 2016
One of my favorite movies of all time. Great popcorn fun!!
December 9, 2016
So much fun, very fast past, awesome disaster sequences, and some of the best characters ever.
½ November 8, 2016
Fun, exciting movie. Very good effects for 90's CGI.
½ November 2, 2016
Although I'm looking back at "Independence Day" 20 years after its release, and yes, the effects are cheesy, it still strikes as an entertaining ride. Will Smith (Capt. Steven Hiller) is in his prime during this movie, his performance is fantastic, and Jeff Goldblum (David Levonson) also provides with a lot of flare in this movie. Those two together are what made this movie watchable. The pacing though, is the issue with this movie. Nearly two and a half hours long, this movie could have been cut WAY down, there were so many seems that just seem irrelevant, and I genuinely had a tough time getting through this entire movie. At the end of the day, "Independence Day" is by no means a classic action movie, but has some entertaining elements and effects that make it a movie worth watching if you're bored.
October 19, 2016
Will Smith, Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman lead the fight against an alien excursion! Great movie!
½ October 15, 2016
A classic of my generation. It blew my mind at the theater. Quintessential 90's action-scifi.
October 14, 2016
Only this...LOVED IT!!!!
October 10, 2016
Not the best, but it isn't bad. I give it a 60%
October 8, 2016
When you take out the explosions and the spaceship fight scenes, "Independence Day" is actually kind of boring.
½ October 8, 2016
So much potential. I remember before it was launched the expectations around the movie were so great...it was nice to watch, but the comedy and clichés just made it not all that I wanted. The special effects and CG are some of the best of the 90. Score: 7,0/1 0,0
½ October 4, 2016
The story was good as it unfolded, and by half of it, they just started to push some nonsense just to finish the movie with less than 6 hours playtime
September 28, 2016
A glorious nostalgic 90s romp. A stellar cast with some fantastic practical effects,
September 21, 2016
Absolutely astonishing! Roland Emmerich deserves to be a part of the great filmmakers of all time.
½ September 19, 2016
Independence Day is a film that I kind of liked when I was younger, yet I always recognized that it wasn't great. Sure enough, upon a rewatch, I had the exact same opinion. There are moments of greatness in this film, for instance any time Will Smith is on screen. The biggest problem in Independence Day is that it takes almost an hour before the action really gets started. It's fine to setup your characters and make them people you care about, but this movie takes that to the extreme. By the time the first building is destroyed I almost needed smelling salts to wake up and notice it. But then the entire thing shifts on a dime and becomes a superb disaster film. One of the best aspects is the fact that it constantly reminds you of the hopeless situation, you literally can see no way out of it. Then it shifts again and becomes a glorious action/sci-fi film which I enjoy a lot. The problem is that the final conclusion hinges on a stupid laptop communicating directly with alien technology and somehow creating a virus in the mother-ship. Are you kidding me? I can suspend my disbelief, but that's asking me to levitate my disbelief with the Force. I'd be really annoyed if I wasn't distracted by one of the greatest speeches in film history!!! I am so up-and-down with Independence Day that I either want to watch it again immediately, or never want to watch it again for the rest of my life. It's amazing how a movie can have so many brilliant scenes and then match those with an equal number of stupid scenes. Somehow, despite all its flaws, I wind up thinking I still like Independence Day. But when I do watch it again, I wouldn't be surprised if my finger hovers over the fast-forward button the whole time.