The Stepford Wives Reviews

• Oct 12, 2020

Tense this Thriller is better than the Remake but it's two different movies if you're gonna for a Serious take on the story watch this or if you gonna for a comedic take on it watch the remake.

• Aug 22, 2020

This is why I love movies from the 70's. They have this genuine and raw feel to them. Ok, the way that he just nonchalantly complimented his new neighbor Ted's wife, something's definitely up. That was weird. I bet that creepy old fuck was drawing her so that they could make a clone of her. I swear that Van Sant chick is an android. She's like malfunctioning at the party lol. That brunette is oddly tall but damn does she got a body. She's looking good. The way the brunette malfunctions when she was in the kitchen trying to make coffee was hilarious. She was spot on, so good. This movie is a big metaphor for men wanting to take away the independence of women so that they can be soulless housewives. The notion that women need to be subservient beings and tend to everything that the husband wants in a perfect robotic manner. Well I say nay! A woman has the same right to be independent and do her thing without having to bend at every whim for her man. With that being said, seeing Katherine Ross with big tits was amazing. Good movie.

• Aug 09, 2020

In a well-known anecdote, after a special screening of the film for leading voices of the contemporary feminist movement, Betty Friedan, whose The Feminine Mystique helped bring second wave feminism to popular consciousness, lambasted Bryan Forbes' 1975 suburban satire as "a rip-off of the women's movement." Although she never elaborated, Friedan's point seems to be that the movie, rather than didactically critiquing systemic patriarchy in order to raise the political consciousness of its audience, instead makes hay through a caricature of feminist arguments about domesticity. Yet to that end, and what Friedan misses, is how this blend of gothic domestic horror and brooding sci-fi straddles the militant self-seriousness of second wave feminism and (foreseeing) the parodic subversion of third wave feminism. Seen from within that latter paradigm, the film (despite its other cinematic flaws) embodies the automatization of womanhood, anticipating Haraway's cyborg manifesto or Butler's work on the dissidence of drag by identifying with and pushing to the extreme the norms the narrative aims to undermine, not by raising consciousness but by bringing unconscious assumptions to the fore.

• Jun 15, 2020

The best thrilling sci-fi movie ever made!

The best thrilling sci-fi movie ever made!

• Feb 14, 2020

from the author of the terrifying 'Rosemary's Baby' comes another adaptation of suburban community terror the 2004 remake is terrible according to many of the reviews I've read and even the filmmakers themselves have distanced themselves from it but this 1975 take on the book by Ira Levin somewhat follows along the line of 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' with some messed up matrimony involving the male fantasy of the perfect woman Joanna and her husband and her kids move to the quiet little town of Stepford to start fresh almost everything here seems perfect..maybe too perfect to be true Joanna's best friend, Bobbie is there too but slowly they start to discover many of the female population acting very strangely; many of them are dressed up in 1950's attire, their focus is more on the housework and staying at home, and the men themselves are always out every night at a men's-only association club Joanna and her friend begin to question the state of mind of these housewives and their mentality, for many they are perfectly content yet Joanna feels they should have more independent thinking and ambitions of their own of course as you'd expect they shrug it off like it's nothing, something is definitely wrong it's almost as if every woman in Stepford is some sort of mindless, robotic drone equivalent to what a man expects out of 'perfect spouse' the politics in this town seem somewhat archaic as if these ladies have no freedom to do what they want and only to please their husbands you can certainly see the feminist analysis in this kind of story being told not to mention the satire of turning free-thinking women and conforming them into a closed-off society the men don't want these women as sexual objects but just objects to live out their ideal fantasies of what life should be like the movie has 3 different tones going from bright and sunny to mysterious to downright scary it's by the final act things start coming together and boy is it a terrifying reveal to what this town's secret is manipulating these housewives it does make many of us ask don't we all want the perfect spouse at our side; providing for us, never fighting, never asking too much, to be able to tell us we're still beautiful as we get older as well as fulfill our every desire? sure this movie is a slow burner although the last scene may actually scare you finally understanding what makes it horrific in the first place keep in mind, it's not meant to be anti-men or anti-feminist all the movie does is try to uncover the strength a woman still has to assert her own form of thinking and will power and not given into becoming like the rest of a population's mindset like I said, skip the bad remake and give this movie a glance

• Nov 25, 2019

A creative exploration of sexism in our society

A creative exploration of sexism in our society

• Oct 27, 2019

Bluntly satirizes the idealness behind the feminine image of a housewife with a steady, alarming force escalating by psychological character study that frustratingly chills towards dated incompletion of unsatisfying payoff to an enjoyable, well-performed film. (B)

• Sep 23, 2019

That is the grandma of "Get out!"

That is the grandma of "Get out!"

• Jun 27, 2019

A fascinating, often copied premise is well staged with some faults in pacing, but is quite effective and keeps its audience on guard to the end.

• Apr 07, 2019