Nothing to Lose - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nothing to Lose Reviews

December 18, 2016
It was pretty funny. These two worked pretty well together.
October 26, 2016
If I hadn't already seen it what may've been 10 times, I might b a lil bummed. Either way I freakin' LOVE THIS MOVIE...IT'S 1 OF THE FEW THAT DESPITE SEEIN' IT A BUNCHA TIMES, WHEN IT'S ON, I'M WATCHIN' IT AGAIN & AGAIN!!! "WELCOME TO HELL BEEAATCH!!" Lol.
May 12, 2016
One of my favorite all timers. Never laughed so hard.
½ April 21, 2016
A fun crime joyride.
November 16, 2015
Very silly, but also sweet and funny. Although, why did the people who lived in the Arizona desert have Southern accents?
½ October 13, 2015
Underrated late 90's comedy. Tim Robbins and Martin Lawrence cross pass by chance and have quite the journey together. It may not be the funniest movie but it does produce laughs whether it be because of Lawrence's wanna be thug attitude or Robbin's 'Nothing to Lose' attitude, either way it's a fun comedy to watch.
½ September 21, 2015
On my path this last weekend I found 'Nothing To Lose' from 1997, featuring Tim Robbins and Martin Lawrence.

While hopelessly dated in appearance, this movie made me laugh out loud a couple of times, which is something I can't say for a lot of 'comedies' these days.

The movie tells the story of Nick (Robbins), a guy who finds his wife in bed with his boss. Instead of acting on it, he leaves. On his car ride out of the city he gets carjacked by T. Paul (Lawrence), but turns the tables on his robber and drives him on a wild ride to Arizona.

Robbins plays with understated depression, Lawrence with over-the-top bravado. After some experiences, the two start to take a liking to each other and end up masterminding a plan to rob Nick's boss. Meanwhile two local petty criminals chase the duo for invading their territory.

So there's a lot going on and I'm not going to spoil the ending here. Most of it is good, not great, but there are some really hilarious moments both in acting and in dialogue. Lawrence's delivery and timing on several of them is classic.

Despite some diversion in the form of a visit to T. Paul's family and a handful of scenes involving Nick and the flower girl from his building, the whole thing stays sufficiently on track.

Of course this movie also tries to do some stuff it shouldn't, like make a half-assed attempt at portraying corporate white America's inherent racism. This isn't the vehicle for that.

But since this movie doesn't take itself TOO seriously as a whole and there's plenty of clues dropped throughout the story, it turned out to be a pretty good time.

Pros: genuinely funny
Cons: dated, goes off the tracks a couple times
Verdict: a good time!
September 16, 2015
Damn critics always see the diminishing stars. For me this is a milestone movie in comedy.
½ August 22, 2015
Entertaining. Nothing more or less.
½ May 10, 2015
On the run buddy comedy that should have been run off.
½ February 3, 2015
Solid popcorn comedy
January 20, 2015
Top 3 best Martin Lawrence movies ever hands down!!!
December 19, 2014
Probably Martin Lawrence's best movie and one of tim robbins great performances. This movie is hilarious and i would recommend it to anyone and everyone.
½ August 16, 2014
(First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
½ August 8, 2014
A lot of talented actors are wasted in this tone-deaf, unfunny comedy. The score, by Robert Folk, is one of the worst I've ever heard. It turns a bad film into a really bad film. There is one funny scene: Martin Lawrence's mama repeatedly slaps him silly. That's it. Nothing else to see here.
½ July 21, 2014
I forgot "white boy" was the go-to insult of the 90's.
½ March 31, 2014
Watched this on different occasions, still love the plot, great twist, such a happy feel good movie! Epic punch lines to keep one cracked up constantly... Love it!
½ December 21, 2013
Great movie. Very funny, very entertaining, with great performances from Robbins and Lawrence.
October 11, 2013
one of the best comedies of the 90's. gold.