Out of Sight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Out of Sight Reviews

½ August 29, 2017
It's not that Out of Sight is some sort of monumental motion picture, however, it's a perfectly harmless feature film that entertains from beginning to end. It's one of Steven Soderbergh's more dated films, being that it was made 20 years ago, but it's also one of the sharpest in terms of dialogue and performances.

On the outside, the romance between Jennifer Lopez and George Clooney is flooded with clichés. An underappreciated FBI agent falls for the very guy she's trying to take down. It's been done a thousand times over, and it's not like this time it's all that groundbreaking. But their romance is well-acted on both sides. Clooney does as good as he can playing bad-boy Jack Foley, but I'm not sure I can ever accept that face of his as an antagonist. And Lopez, who isn't known for her acting, is actually quite good as Karen Sisco.

Unsurprisingly for a Soderbergh film, the cast as a whole is phenomenal. Clooney, Lopez, Cheadle, Zahn, Rhames, Keener, Farina, Brooks, Davis, Keaton, and the one and only Samuel L. Jackson round out one of the best ensemble casts of all time. The best part is, no one takes their jobs too seriously, but well enough to be effective.

As I previously mentioned, Soderbergh's directing is a little dated. Part of it is because the way films were made in the 90's was way different than it is now. For one, the music they used seemed like something out of a cheesy adult film. I mean that in the most respectful way possible, it's just the vibe I got from it. The editing is also something I couldn't entirely get behind. It's obviously intentional on Soderbergh's part, but the weird pauses in shots before transitions to a new scene just seemed weird.

With that said, Out of Sight is undeniably fun, smart, and re-watchable. There isn't a whole lot more you can ask from a movie. It's no Oceans' Eleven, but it's definitely something worth watching.

7.7/10
½ January 26, 2017
The film starts off promisingly, but stalls after 30 minutes... not quite my tempo. I couldn't bother to watch the latter half of the film.
½ January 23, 2017
Not necessarily unwatchable, but I didn't care for the characters or the implausible story. (First and only viewing - 1/23/2017)
½ January 14, 2017
Yes, it was entertaining. Not what I expected, but charming, sexy, and comedic at times. Great cast with a ton of cameos. Rating: 7.5 / 10
½ January 9, 2017
worth a watch clooney looks very different.
January 4, 2017
While many may find him quite smug on occasion, George Clooney is an actor whose easy-going charm and charisma are impossible to ignore, but these elements are only one of the things that make Out Of Sight great. Boasting Jennifer Lopez's best on screen performance I've yet seen, faint praise I know, a clever story told in a trippy but fun manner, a sharp, dialogue-savvy screenplay and a host of terrific supporting players including Ving Rhames and Don Cheadle. Its flippancy is what makes it work, with serious story elements interlaced with witty, sardonic humour, and while it may amount to a simple enough conclusion, and loses steam towards the end as it forgoes its tongue-in-cheek tone to bring everything to a rudimentary climax, the film is solid proof that the journey is often far better than the destination. Check it out if you ever get a chance.
½ January 1, 2017
This sets up an interesting premise in the first 30 minutes as George Clooney seems to be able to talk his way out of any situation. Unfortunately I didn't find the rest of the movie very compelling. Foley and Karen spend most of the movie apart so it's hard to build up much chemistry to where you think they should get together. I didn't really care about the big score they were trying to make. There are so many good actors in this movie but it just didn't hold my interest all the way through. Part of it may be Soderbergh. I went back and looked at which movies he's done and other than the Ocean's series I really don't like any of the ones I've seen.
December 10, 2016
Ending gets me everytime! Such an interesting film to watch!
½ November 26, 2016
Soderbergh's film is, if not exactly the very best Elmore Leonard adaptation, the closest anyone has come to faithfully capturing the joy of his prose. This was a star making vehicle for both Clooney and Lopez and they deserved it. This is both of them at their maximum screen appeal. They are supported by a fairly incredible cast including Ving Rhames, Don Cheadle, Steve Zahn, Albert Brooks, DEnnis Farina, Catherine Keener, Michael Keaton (reprising his "Jackie Brown" role) and Luis Guzman. While I wouldn't say this is Soderbergh's best film, it's the one I most enjoy.
½ November 12, 2016
Great movie from start to finish.
½ September 10, 2016
A very entertaining and well crafted film by Soderbergh.
July 21, 2016
It's got a good cast and a good setup. Unfortunately, 'Out of Sight' fails to live up to this, with a movie that just didn't grab my attention at all. Not one of Soderbergh's best, unfortunately.
½ May 28, 2016
This is the movie that made me realize Soderbergh could make smart commercial films. Soderbergh made some terrific films prior to this, like "Sex, Lies, and Videotape," "King of the Hill" and the very stylish "Kafka," but those were strictly arthouse films. Here Soderbergh takes a smart script by Scott Frank that adapts a very commercial Elmore Leonard novel with a cast of talented and gorgeous movie stars. George Clooney plays a bank robber who break out of prison and winds up kidnapping a federal agent, Jennifer Lopez, during his breakout. The two share a mutual attraction, but being on opposite sides of the law complicate things. The film's plot revolves around Clooney looking for a payout from a wealthy white collar ex-con who he protected in prison, but the film's real story is the complicated will they/won't they relationship between Clooney and Lopez. This film is easily the best film and best role that Lopez has had her entire career, and Clooney, who's filmography is filled with great films, this role and performance may arguably be one of his best. The dialogue is smart and funny, there is an amazingly strong supporting cast that includes Ving Rhames, Don Cheadle, Catherine Keener, Dennis Farina, Steve Zahn, Albert Brooks, Luis Guzmán, Isaiah Washington, Nancy Allen, Samuel L. Jackson in a bit part and Michael Keaton uncredited as Ray Ncolette, the same character he played in another Elmore Leonard film adaptation this same year, "Jackie Brown." But the real magic of this film is the chemistry between Clooney and Lopez. I could watch these two make goo-goo eyes at each other all day. From their first intimate scene when they are both sandwiched in a car trunk to the scene where they share a table at a nighttime high rise restaurant with snow falling on the city below, these who have to be one of the best on screen couples of all time. Elliot Davis richly photography the stars and composer David Holmes does a fine job balancing the films comedy with it's more moody moments. I think my only complaint about the film is that the climax drags on a bit, but it's still entertaining and I was super excited to see Nancy Allen laying the maid Midge (I've had a crush on her since "1941"). Overall, I consider this a real film classic that everyone should see if they haven't already.
½ May 23, 2016
Surprisingly good it started off as a thriller then turned into a comedy then into a romance then back to a thriller. Despite attempting 3 different genres Soderbergh manages to pull it off backed up by a strong performance from Clooney and a decent yurn out from Lopez..
May 20, 2016
5/10/2016: Ok at best. A great cast but a very forgettable movie.
April 24, 2016
Out of Sight has a lot going for it; the performances, writing and style are all compelling and underrated.
March 24, 2016
Intelligent screenplay by Scott Frank.
March 22, 2016
A crime film full of suspense and characters full of personality including George Clooney and Jennifer Lopez
December 13, 2015
Films glamorize criminality more than Ghirardelli chocolate commercials forget to remind you that sugar is bad for you, but I'm not complaining any time soon - so long as attractive actors and actresses continue to sin onscreen like they're the coolest people alive, puffing cigarettes and having clever existential glitterings of conversation, I'll be happy. Movies are a form of escapism, after all, and what's better than spending a couple of hours with do-badders who look good being bad? You forgot that Uma and John were playing pretty terrible people as they did the twist at Jack Rabbit Slim's. There's something enticing about living vicariously through individuals not affected by suburbia or midlife crises. We can save "American Beauty" or "Young Adult" for later.
"Out of Sight," one of the finest comedy thrillers in a decade full of them, never stops the crime train for a minute and never allows for us to let our guards down. It is a film that rides high on the fumes of witty exchanges and effortless self-regard, just three-dimensional enough to get away with being so damn artificially snappy and just artificial enough to three-dimensionalize the fact that this is a movie, just one that happens to be remarkably and irrepressibly engaging.
It is also widely touted as the role that made George Clooney a star and got him thrown into the typecast hell of playing charming, devil-may-care sinners. In "Out of Sight," he portrays Jack Foley, a bank robber so confident that the majority of his career has gone without gun use - he can easily convince a teller of a threat without actually having to prove himself. As the film opens, he's pulling yet another quick job (he's lost count) that travels down the wrong path after his car refuses to start. He's escaped jail time for years, with past encounters lasting long and throbbing with emptiness. This time, he refuses to give up. So he cooks up an escape plan that, more or less, works.
But as his right-hand man, Buddy (Ving Rhames), waits outside the prison grounds for his partner-in-grime to jump out of a clichéd underground tunnel, U.S. Marshal Karen Sisco (Jennifer Lopez) is also passing the time in her car; and though she has a shotgun in hand, her attempts to thwart Jack and Buddy mid-escape fail. She is kidnapped, thrown into the trunk of her own car with Jack, with Buddy driving away into the night.
But something strange happens: Jack and Karen find themselves liking each other, not in the way pals do but in the manner middle-schoolers dream of. Their trunk conversations consists not of threats and faux pas but of easygoing small-talk (Faye Dunaway, for instance, is a topic). It's a shame that she sides with the law and he smirks at it; then maybe they'd have something.
Yet even after escape ensues and separation becomes reality, the two are still fascinated by one another, chance encounters fueling their flirtations as Jack eventually turns toward another job with Karen hot on his trail, in the throes of investigation but also of sexual interest. At its heart, "Out of Sight" is a caper - but it's more fascinating when focused on the cat-and-mouse romance between its sexy leads, who have such crackling repartee that a mere glance emits a spark.
Despite the linkage that almost immediately connects the two before first viewing, I was not reminded of "Pulp Fiction" while watching "Out of Sight" but of "Jackie Brown." This is the second time I've watched the film (the first being three summers ago), and more apparent to me is Steven Soderbergh's tight handling of a screenplay with a lot of characters, subplots, and misunderstandings. Like Tarantino, he doesn't figure a drawn-out scene regarding character quirks is such a bad thing - it provides dimension that ultimately makes the movie funnier. As we get to know the people involved, the more they seem like human beings (just catered with awesome dialogue) who commit crime for a living only because there isn't anything else to do. But then there's Lopez as the good guy, who bears noticeable self-possession that is thunderously carnal but also subtly infuriating - why doesn't she make more movies like this? Clearly, she can hold her own next to big names.
By its end, "Out of Sight" only slightly flies of the rails and loses some of its steam, but it hardly undoes the vibrancy seen previously. This is a movie that sees dialogue as a virtue, characters as people and not objects. I am in awe of its intelligence, the way it so whole-heartedly refuses to commit to genre norms. It takes familiar characteristics and renews them, freshly and unpredictably.