Out of Sight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Out of Sight Reviews

½ May 10, 2018
Well edited, well sounded, well acted and well made.
½ November 15, 2017
Fun film with great performances from an all star cast - even relatively early in his career you can tell Soderbergh was very confident in his ability to tell a complex and entertaining heist film. The non linear nature of the structure is a bit hard to follow, but once you pick up on it the rest of the film is straightforward. I loved it.
½ November 3, 2017
Pretty hot, but not complicated or challenging.
½ August 29, 2017
It's not that Out of Sight is some sort of monumental motion picture, however, it's a perfectly harmless feature film that entertains from beginning to end. It's one of Steven Soderbergh's more dated films, being that it was made 20 years ago, but it's also one of the sharpest in terms of dialogue and performances.

On the outside, the romance between Jennifer Lopez and George Clooney is flooded with clichés. An underappreciated FBI agent falls for the very guy she's trying to take down. It's been done a thousand times over, and it's not like this time it's all that groundbreaking. But their romance is well-acted on both sides. Clooney does as good as he can playing bad-boy Jack Foley, but I'm not sure I can ever accept that face of his as an antagonist. And Lopez, who isn't known for her acting, is actually quite good as Karen Sisco.

Unsurprisingly for a Soderbergh film, the cast as a whole is phenomenal. Clooney, Lopez, Cheadle, Zahn, Rhames, Keener, Farina, Brooks, Davis, Keaton, and the one and only Samuel L. Jackson round out one of the best ensemble casts of all time. The best part is, no one takes their jobs too seriously, but well enough to be effective.

As I previously mentioned, Soderbergh's directing is a little dated. Part of it is because the way films were made in the 90's was way different than it is now. For one, the music they used seemed like something out of a cheesy adult film. I mean that in the most respectful way possible, it's just the vibe I got from it. The editing is also something I couldn't entirely get behind. It's obviously intentional on Soderbergh's part, but the weird pauses in shots before transitions to a new scene just seemed weird.

With that said, Out of Sight is undeniably fun, smart, and re-watchable. There isn't a whole lot more you can ask from a movie. It's no Oceans' Eleven, but it's definitely something worth watching.

7.7/10
½ January 26, 2017
The film starts off promisingly, but stalls after 30 minutes... not quite my tempo. I couldn't bother to watch the latter half of the film.
½ January 23, 2017
Not necessarily unwatchable, but I didn't care for the characters or the implausible story. (First and only viewing - 1/23/2017)
½ January 14, 2017
Yes, it was entertaining. Not what I expected, but charming, sexy, and comedic at times. Great cast with a ton of cameos. Rating: 7.5 / 10
½ January 9, 2017
worth a watch clooney looks very different.
January 4, 2017
While many may find him quite smug on occasion, George Clooney is an actor whose easy-going charm and charisma are impossible to ignore, but these elements are only one of the things that make Out Of Sight great. Boasting Jennifer Lopez's best on screen performance I've yet seen, faint praise I know, a clever story told in a trippy but fun manner, a sharp, dialogue-savvy screenplay and a host of terrific supporting players including Ving Rhames and Don Cheadle. Its flippancy is what makes it work, with serious story elements interlaced with witty, sardonic humour, and while it may amount to a simple enough conclusion, and loses steam towards the end as it forgoes its tongue-in-cheek tone to bring everything to a rudimentary climax, the film is solid proof that the journey is often far better than the destination. Check it out if you ever get a chance.
½ January 1, 2017
This sets up an interesting premise in the first 30 minutes as George Clooney seems to be able to talk his way out of any situation. Unfortunately I didn't find the rest of the movie very compelling. Foley and Karen spend most of the movie apart so it's hard to build up much chemistry to where you think they should get together. I didn't really care about the big score they were trying to make. There are so many good actors in this movie but it just didn't hold my interest all the way through. Part of it may be Soderbergh. I went back and looked at which movies he's done and other than the Ocean's series I really don't like any of the ones I've seen.
December 10, 2016
Ending gets me everytime! Such an interesting film to watch!
½ November 26, 2016
Soderbergh's film is, if not exactly the very best Elmore Leonard adaptation, the closest anyone has come to faithfully capturing the joy of his prose. This was a star making vehicle for both Clooney and Lopez and they deserved it. This is both of them at their maximum screen appeal. They are supported by a fairly incredible cast including Ving Rhames, Don Cheadle, Steve Zahn, Albert Brooks, DEnnis Farina, Catherine Keener, Michael Keaton (reprising his "Jackie Brown" role) and Luis Guzman. While I wouldn't say this is Soderbergh's best film, it's the one I most enjoy.
½ November 12, 2016
Great movie from start to finish.
½ September 10, 2016
A very entertaining and well crafted film by Soderbergh.
July 21, 2016
It's got a good cast and a good setup. Unfortunately, 'Out of Sight' fails to live up to this, with a movie that just didn't grab my attention at all. Not one of Soderbergh's best, unfortunately.
½ May 28, 2016
This is the movie that made me realize Soderbergh could make smart commercial films. Soderbergh made some terrific films prior to this, like "Sex, Lies, and Videotape," "King of the Hill" and the very stylish "Kafka," but those were strictly arthouse films. Here Soderbergh takes a smart script by Scott Frank that adapts a very commercial Elmore Leonard novel with a cast of talented and gorgeous movie stars. George Clooney plays a bank robber who break out of prison and winds up kidnapping a federal agent, Jennifer Lopez, during his breakout. The two share a mutual attraction, but being on opposite sides of the law complicate things. The film's plot revolves around Clooney looking for a payout from a wealthy white collar ex-con who he protected in prison, but the film's real story is the complicated will they/won't they relationship between Clooney and Lopez. This film is easily the best film and best role that Lopez has had her entire career, and Clooney, who's filmography is filled with great films, this role and performance may arguably be one of his best. The dialogue is smart and funny, there is an amazingly strong supporting cast that includes Ving Rhames, Don Cheadle, Catherine Keener, Dennis Farina, Steve Zahn, Albert Brooks, Luis Guzmán, Isaiah Washington, Nancy Allen, Samuel L. Jackson in a bit part and Michael Keaton uncredited as Ray Ncolette, the same character he played in another Elmore Leonard film adaptation this same year, "Jackie Brown." But the real magic of this film is the chemistry between Clooney and Lopez. I could watch these two make goo-goo eyes at each other all day. From their first intimate scene when they are both sandwiched in a car trunk to the scene where they share a table at a nighttime high rise restaurant with snow falling on the city below, these who have to be one of the best on screen couples of all time. Elliot Davis richly photography the stars and composer David Holmes does a fine job balancing the films comedy with it's more moody moments. I think my only complaint about the film is that the climax drags on a bit, but it's still entertaining and I was super excited to see Nancy Allen laying the maid Midge (I've had a crush on her since "1941"). Overall, I consider this a real film classic that everyone should see if they haven't already.
½ May 23, 2016
Surprisingly good it started off as a thriller then turned into a comedy then into a romance then back to a thriller. Despite attempting 3 different genres Soderbergh manages to pull it off backed up by a strong performance from Clooney and a decent yurn out from Lopez..
May 20, 2016
5/10/2016: Ok at best. A great cast but a very forgettable movie.
April 24, 2016
Out of Sight has a lot going for it; the performances, writing and style are all compelling and underrated.