The Thin Red Line - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Thin Red Line Reviews

June 18, 2017
One of the best war movie ive ever seen. I became a huge Terence Malick fan after the Tree of Life, but this movie is his best so far. The cast, plot and the soundtrack by Hans Zimmer were astonishing. Definitely a must see!
June 2, 2017
good cinemaphotography but a disappointing film
½ May 28, 2017
The cinematography and shots are beautiful of course. If it was a little bit shorter, I feel like it would have been a lot better. Sometimes the movie would get lost in it's own philosophical deep meanings. But who am I to judge? The movie was great.

A fantastic tense and thrilling ride. But also with moments of beauty and peace, showing how beautiful nature is in all of it's raw form and how beautiful human nature can be when we all just get along and don't have to fight with one another. This movie touches a lot on the subject of human nature, doing good in the world, and how death could be for some of us.
May 20, 2017
A peculiar masterpiece, a world unto its own, as this film boldly questions the existential and philosophical nature of war, while constructing a lush, yet jarring Pacific backdrop. In this movie, director Terrence Malik weaves an epic, cinematic poem about World War II, infusing various pensive queries into the relationship between humanity and violence, and how nature exists and is effected by this relationship.
½ April 28, 2017
A little too contemplative for my taste, but maybe I'm not made for Malick. Compelling all the same.
April 7, 2017
Beautiful - if one may say so.
½ April 5, 2017
A long but very in depth look at one of the most brutal battles in WWII. The enormous cast does a great job, and the plot is interesting enough. I still couldn't help but find the film to be a little dragging on me though mostly due to its length
March 20, 2017
Under rated war film. Very sprawling and hard to keep track with at times, but I'd rather watch this than the Hollywood friendly 'Saving Private Ryan'.
March 18, 2017
One thing that stands out to me is I remember not seeing the enemy until about an hour into the film - I was very impressed with the consistency of the film's POV.

Caviezel's befriending the villagers was very moving.
½ March 6, 2017
A beautiful, poetic, captivating and very underated film that has become one of my favorite war films. Much different than Private Ryan (Although I love that one as well). This movie digs deep into the hearts, minds and souls of the characters. Great acting, beautifully shot and the score by Zimmer is brilliant as always. My only minor gripe is the run time, it could have been just a tad shorter.
March 6, 2017
One of the most beautiful films of all-time. Starkly contrasted with unwavering brutality, this film is both breathtaking and heartbreaking. A viewing experience you won't soon forget.
½ March 5, 2017
Malick's gorgeous vision of earth's carnivorousness is both magnificent and frustrating.
February 27, 2017
A fine film, but there were a number of problems. First of all, the runtime. There's absolutely no reason this film should be almost 3 hours long. Secondly, there are way too many characters. It's impossible to keep up with all of them, let alone care about them. Thirdly, we as an audience are "told" too many things. For instance, we are "told" to care about the one character (I forget his name) just because he has a wife back home that they keep flashing back to. We are "told" that these men have a very strong bond between one another, but I didn't get that feeling a whole lot during the actual film. It's still a fine film, but I just didn't enjoy it because of these problems.
½ February 23, 2017
Malick knows how to make battle scenes that are so tense that you sweat, but he also seems to be distracted by nature and forgets he has characters to develop.
½ February 19, 2017
/A-/ I might be a little late to the party, but I'm happy to be here.
February 18, 2017
It has been said that war consists of long periods of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror. Most war movies focus on the moments of sheer terror. Thin Red Line's novel approach is to give you the long periods of boredom instead.
Tedious and punctuated with distracting cameos, much of the movie is mud covered indistinguishable actors mumbling their lines interspersed with nature footage. It watches like Malick really wanted to be doing National Geographic documentaries instead and decided to take his frustration out on the audience.
½ February 11, 2017
While beautifully composed like Badlands and Days of Heaven, I didn't feel as strongly connected to the characters and this made the last hour unnecessary
½ January 22, 2017
Brutal showing of war. Not particularly enjoyable but important viewing.
½ November 23, 2016
Very few good movies
November 17, 2016
Finally sitting down to watch this, tonight.