The Thin Red Line - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Thin Red Line Reviews

April 7, 2017
Beautiful - if one may say so.
½ April 5, 2017
A long but very in depth look at one of the most brutal battles in WWII. The enormous cast does a great job, and the plot is interesting enough. I still couldn't help but find the film to be a little dragging on me though mostly due to its length
March 20, 2017
Under rated war film. Very sprawling and hard to keep track with at times, but I'd rather watch this than the Hollywood friendly 'Saving Private Ryan'.
March 18, 2017
One thing that stands out to me is I remember not seeing the enemy until about an hour into the film - I was very impressed with the consistency of the film's POV.

Caviezel's befriending the villagers was very moving.
½ March 6, 2017
A beautiful, poetic, captivating and very underated film that has become one of my favorite war films. Much different than Private Ryan (Although I love that one as well). This movie digs deep into the hearts, minds and souls of the characters. Great acting, beautifully shot and the score by Zimmer is brilliant as always. My only minor gripe is the run time, it could have been just a tad shorter.
March 6, 2017
One of the most beautiful films of all-time. Starkly contrasted with unwavering brutality, this film is both breathtaking and heartbreaking. A viewing experience you won't soon forget.
½ March 5, 2017
Malick's gorgeous vision of earth's carnivorousness is both magnificent and frustrating.
February 27, 2017
A fine film, but there were a number of problems. First of all, the runtime. There's absolutely no reason this film should be almost 3 hours long. Secondly, there are way too many characters. It's impossible to keep up with all of them, let alone care about them. Thirdly, we as an audience are "told" too many things. For instance, we are "told" to care about the one character (I forget his name) just because he has a wife back home that they keep flashing back to. We are "told" that these men have a very strong bond between one another, but I didn't get that feeling a whole lot during the actual film. It's still a fine film, but I just didn't enjoy it because of these problems.
½ February 23, 2017
Malick knows how to make battle scenes that are so tense that you sweat, but he also seems to be distracted by nature and forgets he has characters to develop.
½ February 19, 2017
/A-/ I might be a little late to the party, but I'm happy to be here.
February 18, 2017
It has been said that war consists of long periods of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror. Most war movies focus on the moments of sheer terror. Thin Red Line's novel approach is to give you the long periods of boredom instead.
Tedious and punctuated with distracting cameos, much of the movie is mud covered indistinguishable actors mumbling their lines interspersed with nature footage. It watches like Malick really wanted to be doing National Geographic documentaries instead and decided to take his frustration out on the audience.
½ February 11, 2017
While beautifully composed like Badlands and Days of Heaven, I didn't feel as strongly connected to the characters and this made the last hour unnecessary
½ January 22, 2017
Brutal showing of war. Not particularly enjoyable but important viewing.
½ November 23, 2016
Very few good movies
November 17, 2016
Finally sitting down to watch this, tonight.
October 14, 2016
Pales in comparison to the other War films that came out during the late 90s-Early 2000s. Don't get me wrong, this movie is absolutely beautiful, and the acting is exceptional, but there is literally no characters in this movie, and the story goes nowhere. Those two key components are things that make War movies like Saving Private Ryan, Platoon, Apocalypse Now and Black Hawk Down great. Pretty movie, just not a pretty good one.
October 1, 2016
Obviously Malick was never going to make a conventional war movie (major characters come and go, the voice over narration is unpredictable, and flashbacks occur without warning) or even a conventional anti-war movie . . . which is what makes this such a unique experience. Despite his endless philosophizing and shots of nature, Malick still manages to find a convincing and emotionally resonate ending, and that is quite an achievement.
½ September 19, 2016
The Thin Red Line has moments where it is a gripping war film that shows all the horrors of war with amazing cinematography, authentic sound, and solid acting. It could be something truly special and might have even competed with Saving Private Ryan for best WWII film of 1998. The problem is Terrence Malick is not content to just make a movie, he has to make a work of art. His idea of what makes a film great is so far removed from my own that I end up shaking my head in frustration. There is an abundance of breathy voice-over that overindulges in metaphors. Every character in voice-over and in heart-to-heart conversations talks like a Greek philosopher. There is symbolism oozing out of nearly every frame, and it is shoved in willy-nilly as opposed to keeping it in the logical structure of the film. It's cut so that you jump from the middle of a bloody battle where men are getting slaughtered and then all the sudden we see a baby bird that has fallen from its nest. The bird is not on the battlefield, it's not something that one of the soldiers encountered, because that would be a sensible way of injecting symbolism into your film. No, we just cut to that shot randomly and then cut back to death and destruction.

The pacing of The Thin Red Line I think could be best described as herky-jerky. It goes long stretches where nothing of relevance is happening other than soliloquies intermingled with images of trees, past love affairs, and more artsy-fartsy film school nonsense. Then, just when I'm about to fall asleep, we are thrust into battle and we get to see the soldiers act like real people, and start fighting a vicious battle trying to overtake a bunker or something like that. The big problem with the structure of Malick's films is that ethereal voices and a handful of random short flashbacks do not create character. So it's not long before I realized that I didn't care about any of the people who are getting gunned down because I don't KNOW any of them. There are loads of familiar faces in the cast, some really spectacular actors, but that's not enough to make me see any of their characters as real people. The closest I came was with Jim Caviezel because his character was set up early and almost had an arc, but even his death didn't quite resonate for me (perhaps the boredom had overwhelmed me at that point.) It's such a shame because there are snippets of time when The Thin Red Line is stunning and could be remarkably powerful, but Malick can't tell a consistent story because he has to attempt to make every moment deep and profound. If you tolerate Malick's particular brand of film-making then this movie is right up your alley, but for most movie fans I'd say avoid at all costs.
½ September 19, 2016
Bold, daring, and deep. Showing war as the monster it is while making you reflective on your own S distance
½ September 13, 2016
Very good action. The philosophical musing however didn't work for me. I already thought enough about the silliness of them shootings, the effects of daily murders and mayhem. Clearly, war is for psychopaths. It should probably be a prerequisite to be a soldier. No conscience.