Mighty Joe Young - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mighty Joe Young Reviews

September 5, 2016
This was one of my favorite films as a child! The music & the cinematography is fantastic!
August 17, 2016
this is the fucking bestmovie ever
½ August 4, 2016
"Mighty Joe Young" may speak more adventure and thrills to younglings than to its adult audience. But apart from its somewhat innocense, it strikes you with every 80s-90s disaster movie cliches together with the Lost World climax and King Kongs abrupt ending.
½ August 3, 2016
This movie Mighty Joe Young (1998) was a good movie but not a great movie.
June 12, 2016
Pretty Motherfucking decent(for a Disney movie).....atleast the giant gorilla wasn't done in CGI!.....Curse you CGI!
February 27, 2016
Elvis is in the building.

A legendary fifteen foot tall and 3,000 pound gorilla is inadvertently discovered and several Americans are sent to find it and bring it back to the US. A woman sworn to protect the gorilla is initially reluctant to bring the gorilla to the US until she discovers who else may be after it. She will work with an American scientist to try and save the gorilla before it is captured by those who would sell it to the highest bidder.

"Looking for a legend? Why would I want to do that?"

Ron Underwood, director of Tremors, City Slickers, The Adventures of Pluto Nash, and episodes from the television series Scandal, Desperate Housewives, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, and Once Upon a Time, delivers Mighty Joe Young. The storyline for this picture is just okay and felt a little like King Kong mixed with Jurassic Park. The acting was okay and the cast includes Bill Paxton, Charlize Theron, Peter Firth, and Regina King.

"I'm not moving but my bowels are..."

I came across this on Showtime Anytime and thought it would be a good movie to watch with my daughter. She was relatively interested and loved the hide-and-seek scenes with Joe. However, there are some obvious King Kong rip-offs sprinkled throughout this. This was very average but is worth viewing once.

"Did you see the intelligence?"

Grade: C+
February 14, 2016
One of my favorite movies as a kid. My brother and I used to watch Mighty Joe Young all the time.
February 13, 2016
I like Mountain gorillas so I saw this movie I thought it was cool and funny. I like the scenery in this movie how it starts off in the jungle that was pretty interesting and it makes me want to visit the jungle. But it was a good movie.
November 21, 2015
½ June 20, 2015
A fairly typical style of a story, but it was still pretty decent and a good family film. The effects on the ape were well life like. I noticed there was an older version of this movie and said it was a "sequel" to king kong. A nice film by Disney. Cool gorilla too.
February 17, 2015
This is a typical Disney Studio's movie, and Walt himself would have been pleased with the results. Beautiful photography and some neat graphics make this an enjoyable family film although very predictable. It requires no thought to enjoy this flick and you come away feeling better. Is there really anything else to an entertaining movie.
February 5, 2015
I have never saw the original, but need to give that a look since I've watched this one when I was young back then. "Mighty Joe Young" is such a wonderful movie for kids and adults to enjoy. The special effects are really impressive for its combination of using practical and CGI. The direction by Ron Underwood is very well directed. Bill Paxton and Charlize Theron both gave such a terrific performance and made a great chemistry together. I also love James Horner's music, which I may notice some parts that made me think of his other score "Titanic." The movie does have its sad moments, and it works very effectively. I love this movie, and I say give it a look.
January 27, 2015
Joe Young is a big friendly gorilla.
January 23, 2015
The movie
Mighty Joe Young
½ October 1, 2014
A huge excitement and a hairy entertainment! Charlize is very beautiful and she manages herself as if she is Belle of prince Adam in 'Beauty and the Beast'!.. =D
½ August 27, 2014
It was a very enjoyable, very heartwarming and very entertaining Disney live-action family adventure. It had really great animation, really good cast, great characters, great music, really exciting adventure, really great cinematography, lots of action and a very good story. It's one of the best Disney live-action movies of 1998. I would recommend this movie to both kids and adults.
½ August 17, 2014
(First viewing - Early 1999 in theaters)
½ July 29, 2014
Really Great (childhood movie for me)
½ July 25, 2014
Maybe at the time this was released it wasn't all that appreciated by some older viewers. However, I love a good '90s movie.

While not seeing the original yet--although I plan to soon--I can't compare the two. But all I know is that I really enjoyed this film. I was 9 when it was released and hadn't watched it until just now. I have to say that I wish I had grown up with this movie. It's a great family film! It's predictable even when you think they might stray away from it--but it's good clean fun that never becomes too apparent that it's catering to the children. Although the script may not be the strongest, it will do just fine. I wish the characters had been a little deeper, but other than that I think it serves its purpose. Charlize Theron is great and the scene where Joe terrorizes Hollywood is well worth the price of admission. Add the beautiful scenery and the more-than-acceptable effects for 1998, and it's an easy movie to like! Apparently a little TOO easy for some.

Twizard Rating: 89