True Crime - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

True Crime Reviews

September 8, 2017
SuspenseFULL to The End. Woods is a treat in this.
½ March 29, 2017
Definitely not one of Clint Eastwood's best directorial efforts. The story itself makes very little sense. The movie asks us to believe that a reporter, assigned the story the day of an execution, in a case no one had substantial doubts about, can come in and save an innocent man. I suppose stranger things have happened in real life, but this story just isn't credible. Perhaps realizing this, there is a scene where Steve Everett (Eastwood) argues with his editor (James Woods) dismissing the judicial processes that lead to the conviction and death sentence Frank Beachum (Isaiah Washington). And that's where the argument ends. How do we know Beachum had a third-rate lawyer or that the appeals courts had nothing to work with? We don't. The only lawyer we see on Beachum's case seems reasonably adequate and diligent. We don't know whether the defense was told about the third person, which point to some incompetence on the defense attorney's part.

But what about the press itself? In cases like this, you would have Beachum's defenders in the press arguing his innocence, already pointing out the witness who "saw" Beachum with a gun could not possibly have seen what he said he saw--using crime scene photos to back them up. In other words, this would be a case where Beachum's innocence should have been a topic for debate all along. Instead, it's Everett's nose for a story that's supposed to make us believe in Beachum's innocence. The story would have been more credible if Beachum's case was being so debated and all Everett did was find the real killer. But that would change the story entirely, and this was supposed to be a suspense thriller.
July 27, 2016
Direct and straight, no twist. This simpleness and powerfulness is something only Clint Eastwood can create, and I really admire it.
April 22, 2016
Slow, but interesting. Clint Eastwood's acting gets better and better as the plot unfolds. The build up is too drawn out and the conclusion does not live up to expectations.
December 30, 2015
Could have been better.
½ November 14, 2015
Clint Eastwood played a flawed journalist here but the plot still carries his typical trademarks.
October 7, 2015
Insulting reference to Jesus Christ by Clint Eastwood. Very offensive to a lot of people - was not necessary to movie.
September 19, 2015
Big fan of Eastwood & Washington
½ August 3, 2015
Succumbs to some cliches and plot holes to be sure, but true crime is an entertaining thriller. Not eastwood's best work
May 2, 2015
Not original but even an average Eastwood movie is worth watching.
½ March 22, 2015
Jugé Coupable est un énième film remarquable de Clint Eastwood, où il se met en scène dans le rôle d'un journaliste ancien alcoolique et volage qui se prend de passion pour une enquête louche sur un condamné à mort qui va être exécuté en fin de journée. S'ensuit alors un thriller dramatique aussi calme que passionnant, mené de main de maître par un Eastwood qui maîtrise totalement le rythme et la direction d'acteurs, ce qui lui permet d'orchestrer des séquences impressionnantes (toutes celles avec Isaiah Washington & Lisa Gay Hamilton). Le supporting cast est excellent, James Woods et Denis Leary en tête.
½ March 17, 2015
Saw this on HBO the other night. It was so awful. It's totally disjointed. Some side plotlines (like taking his daughter to the zoo) feel totally out of place. Half of this movie is weird scenes that have nothing to do with the movie. I only looked this up to see who directed it. When I saw that Clint directed it, I was totally surprised. He must've been hitting the bottle (like his character) during this phase of his life. Don't watch this movie, you'll regret that you can't get those 2 hours of your life back.
½ March 12, 2015
He wasn't a bad boy but he did a terrible thing.

An old, down on his luck journalist on his final limb at his newspaper company finds an intriguing story of an inmate wrongly accused and about to be executed. He quickly finds several holes in the story and retraces the events of the infamous murder. He uncovers a racially charged subplot that may lead to the clues he needs to save the boy as well as his own name.

"It's not like I love you or anything."
"That's good, because I sure don't love you."

Clint Eastwood, director of Million Dollar Baby, Changeling, American Sniper, Grand Torino, Mystic River, Blood Work, Space Cowboys, Heartbreak Ridge, and Invictus, delivers True Crime. The storyline for this picture is interesting, unpredictable, and unfolds well. The main character is delivered perfectly by Eastwood. The supporting cast is also solid and includes Dennis Leary, James Wood, LisaGay Hamilton, Isaiah Washington, and Michael Jeter.

"You should have just fucked my wife. I would have just punched you out."

I came across this film on HBOGO and decided to give it a viewing since I had never seen it before. It was a solid picture that was entertaining and has a worthwhile conclusion. Overall, this isn't Eastwood's best picture, but it is worth a viewing.

"Dog my cats."

Grade: B-
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
A movie starring Clint Eastwood and he have actually directed it aswell and have made a quite good drama movie. It reminds be a bit of "Hurricane" in a way. There are a few other good actors like James Woods and Denis Leary also. The flick can feel rather slow but the story are interesting enough to follow til the end. Overall a nice movie by the great Clint.
½ December 15, 2014
12/15/2014: Predictable, but generally a decent movie. Can't really go wrong with an Eastwood flick.
October 12, 2014
Very good suspense, done as a classic movie, just as clint eastwood know how to do it.
September 23, 2014
it's much better than 55%. i'd give it 70+
July 22, 2014
I loved this movie when I first saw it and still do. Eastwood is so commanding here, and his performance is awesome. The movie is suspenseful and keeps you entertained and wondering til the last second. A good thriller that affected me when first saw it...of course it has flaws but what movie doesn't. A first rate mystery thriller....One that makes you question are judicial system among others.
½ July 20, 2014
I felt this one came up a little short.
½ June 11, 2014
Not one of Eastwood's best. His acting here is bland, and the film is too long with the plot meandering around.