Man on the Moon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Man on the Moon Reviews

½ May 15, 2018
1/6/18 I enjoyed watching this, although I think I would have hated Andy Kaufman's comedy if I had been around in the 70s. It was interesting to hear his story, but he was very clearly NOT funny to me. He really just tried to shock people with his stuff and because you never really knew if he was lying or telling the truth, he essentially dug his own grave professionally. He was so annoying, I know I would have been so sick of his schtick in almost no time. Regardless of that though, the film did make me think a lot about him and it was very interesting to hear his tale.
½ April 22, 2018
Man on the Moon gives the late Andy Kaufman the movie he deserves. Jim Carrey's spot-on portrayal of the comedic visionary brings light to his inventive engagement with audiences, and the heart that lied beneath the laughs.
March 29, 2018
Complete waste of time. Good acting by Jim Carrey, but this is very overrated.
February 6, 2018
Amazing film. One of Jim Carrey's best roles. Memorable, respectful to the craft and intelligence of comedic legend, Andy Kaufman. Recommendation for a rainy Sunday afternoon.
½ January 28, 2018
Excelente interpretación de Jim Carrey, complementada por el documental de Netflix.
December 21, 2017
A bibliographic film that tells the story of a comedian who did not care for the public, but a man who had a humorous belief, and persecuted it faithfully, mixed the impolitically incorrect with a kind of abstract humor, Andy Kaufman was a different comedian , with a unique sense of humor, his story is worthy of film, a film that falls into the hands of the competent Milos Forman, who adapts his life and work in an absurdly consistent way. Andy Kaufman is Jim Carrey, and this is not just a catch phrase to put on the poster, Jim's acting is spectacular, and for me, his best acting career, Jim does not do an identical interpretation of how Andy was, he does a very similar performance but puts a lot of his personality to the character, which gives us an absurdly funny movie, making the viewer delirious every second. The screenplay is not perfect, but it's very good, it's from childhood context and familiar to Andy, and highlights his already famous life and his controversies, which are not few, and cause much confusion in the viewer in being able to interpret who is who and what is false what is real - although in this aspect the film uses a lot of poetic liberty - but that was always part of Andy's mood. The screenplay sends a somewhat depressing and hopeful message, something like "Life is a Big Joke", and this is exposed once in a scene, which to me is the most striking of the film, which is when Andy discovers that your greatest hope is a fraud, and find grace in it. Technically the film is all well directed, mixing a gray photograph of the 80s with something hotter than the 90s, as well as creating ambiences and great extras, not to mention the fluidity of the film, because even the film repeats itself at different times, never the same you lose the rhythm. Finally, the film is far above the level, it just fails to develop Andy's character, just to show his deeds, with an avant-garde and unique humor, Kaufman charmed audiences and even dying at age 35, is still considered one of the greatest comedians of the American scene.
December 5, 2017
Great fantastic phenomenal movie starring Andy Kauffman, sorry Jim Carey, he feels like Andy so well you can't tell the difference but that what makes for a great movie. I love this movie and watched it right after the new documentary on Netflix called Jim and Andy. If you haven't watched it, watch it, it is the best documentary I've watched ever, I felt intrigued the entire time and I didn't even watch this movie yet but when I watched this movie it made the experience much much better.
December 2, 2017
Superb. Carey was born to play this role.
½ November 29, 2017
As a narrative, it jumps around too often, but Jim Carrey's performance as Andy Kaufman is an incredible transformation and tribute.
½ November 24, 2017
This and "The Truman Show" are Jim Carrey's gems. No one could've played Andy Kauffman better.
November 23, 2017
It's no surprise that Jim Carrey nailed this performance of Andy Kaufman as he is a comic genius in his own right, and would completely understand someone like Kaufman. I knew nothing about Andy Kaufman but I do know a little bit more now thanks to this film. This is not a bad film at all and is highly amusing and kept me laughing.
½ November 18, 2017
I have to rewatch it, but I remember loving it.
½ November 13, 2017
este incredibil rolul jucat de carrey, este de nerecunoscut. povestea este grozava . am vazut prima ora .
October 17, 2017
I can't get enough of Kaufman.
June 6, 2017
Man On The Moon is Forman's best film since Amadeus, and while the film might occasionally come off as your traditional, crowd-pleasing biopic, Jim Carrey is hilarious as the quirky Andy Kaufman and Forman provides him with the appropriate amount of mysticism surrounding his presence.
½ June 4, 2017
acabei tropeçando de novo neste filme quando estava lendo mais sobre meditação transcendental hoje (aparentemente uma das maiores balelas do mundo - malz aê beatles, lynch & cia), aí resolvi finalmente assistir. performance absurda do carey, filme ok, kaufman polemiquíssimo (às vezes genial, às vezes um imbecil, às vezes ambos) e continuidade da maquiagem péssima haha.
February 23, 2017
This film is not for everyone, but neither is Andy Kaufman. That's what makes this movie work. This film stays true to the philosophy of Andy Kaufman. Never reveal everything and keep them guessing. However this film just lacks the emotional impact. It tries, but somehow it fails. Jim Carrey's performance is worth it either way.
February 14, 2017
So you can actually understand this strange man?!?
½ October 19, 2016
Just goes to show that when you get past all Carrey's rubber-faced buffoonery, you've got a very fine actor. His Kaufman is bang on the money. Uncannily so, in fact.
Funny, challenging and very poignant, this is an extremely fine film, which, rather than being a study of the enigma that was Kaufman, just relates his story, as, it seems, he was indefinable.