House on Haunted Hill Reviews

• Oct 10, 2020

This film truly scared the life out of me as a child and still sends shivers down my spine to this day. William Malone is an utter genius and the sheer weirdness and out-there talent he holds made this film so memorable and creepy - and for that, I now have a huge fondness and appreciation for this film and for the man himself - nothing has ever come as close to it since. Whereas today, the constantly churned out carbon-copy remakes are insanely popular, in the 90's, they were a highly anticipated event and were very much rare. The film was released on Halloween and performed incredibly well, but to this day gathers bad reviews. This film didn't just copy the original story like-for-like, it elaborated on it and added tonnes of back-story and depth and an actual super-natural element, which keeps you guessing right up until the middle of the film. Now, the house is an abandoned, converted, art-deco insane asylum. As well as the down-right creepy elements to the film, there are also some really smart and humorous elements to this film and I highly recommend watching it - on a side-note, I am now 27 and I still get nightmares from this film once in a while.

• Aug 31, 2020

It makes a good couples movie, its no Insidious but its fairly entertaining especially if you have a good sound system. The movie pretty much had an all start cast which was nice. It did feel like story was rushed a little but time is money. For 1999 I would say this was a pretty creepy movie. Its been in my movie collection going on 20yrs. now.

• Aug 30, 2020

This movie was considered better than The Haunting from the same year, a good example of critics being incapable of evaluating horror movies. I appreciated the casting choices and the screenplay started off very good with the theme park gimmicks and the mad scientist killing everyone in the fire, but it rapidly deteriorated with the very contrived Darkness antagonist. More development should've went into the betrayal storyline and more emphasis should've been placed on the characters in general instead of the special effects, most of which were unscary and unnecessary. The score was decent.

• Jul 16, 2020

Story/Screenplay: (3.5/5) Predictable in that suspense was typically derived by dumb people making dumb decisions. That said, dumb people and dumb decisions are a staple of this genre, so putting these annoyances aside, this story was good enough to maintain my interest from start to finish. Not bad. Duration/Tempo: (3.5/5) At 1 hour and 33 minutes, it's a very short film that felt about the same or maybe a tad longer. Cast & Crew: (4/5) Nice eclectic cast. Geoffrey Rush was top-notch. Chris Kattan, Taye Diggs, Ali Larter, and Bridgette Wilson-Sampras were solid. Summary: (3.5/5) The story was good, the cast was better, and the film felt short. A thumbs up.

• Jul 04, 2020

A better cast than normal for this kind of film and some twists from the original made it fun.

• Feb 19, 2020

You watch it, get scared, get thrilled, and then toss it into the Goodwill pile for the cycle to repeat itself.

• Feb 12, 2020

REAL movie fans of horror, not stuffy stuck up (PAID!) critics know this one doesn't have to be 5 stars great to be enjoyable.While not the best horror movie around it's fun as hell,and watching Geoffrey Rush ham it up was great. Underrated for sure. See it for yourself, don't be a slave to other's internet opinions. Especially those low lives who are paid just to snarky and biased. Although, two things I don't get..1)Why not just get Jeff Goldblum instead of the light beer version of Jeff Goldblum in Peter Gallagher? 2)How did they get down from the Hill??

• Jan 03, 2020

Though heavily cliched and sprinkled with uninteresting acting and characters, this remake of the 1959 classic shows us a still entertaining fun ride with some decent uncomfortable moments, good campy acting from Geoffrey Rush, decent production design, interesting ideas throughout and bringing in the supernatural aspect into the story unlike the original, House On Haunted Hill is a very cliched, but entertaining remake of a haunted classic~

• Jul 20, 2019

This was a pretty good movie, good actors good plot and story line. Not scary but I would watch it again. I know a lot of people did not like it but it's pretty good and it passes a hour or two, I have seen a lot worse horror movies in the past then this one.

• Apr 10, 2019

I wanted to change things up a bit with this issue's reviews; I decided doing both a musical and a horror film would be a perfectly odd pairing. While there are countless horror films I could've chosen, I decided to go with one of my all-time favorites. House on Haunted Hill was a remake of a Vincent Price film from 1959. Watching the original is more of a lesson in humor with an occasional jump (startling moments). I love Vincent Price and most of his work, but sadly the original doesn't stand up to today's more intimidating scares. Although the remake itself is approaching 18 years old, it still holds up well. With jump scares throughout and a story that follows the original pretty closely Geoffrey Rush (Stephen Price) and Famke Janssen (Evelyn Price) deliver slightly stale yet perfect performances. It is appropriate to issue a certain caveat here. This film is not what one would define as a film classic. What it offers is a door to the modern age of horror. With some subpar performances, the film makes it mark with some impressive visuals and an outstanding soundtrack. A mix of contemporary music and older classical scores as well as a remake of Annie Lennox's classic "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)" by Marilyn Manson (in my opinion, one of his few high points).