Traffic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Traffic Reviews

September 25, 2016
Soderbergh masterfully weaves together storylines which in themselves would make great short films. Add in superb casting and acting, and a unique filter of color, lighting, and cinematography, and you have yourself a best picture.
September 19, 2016
I tend to struggle with a movie like Traffic that presents a problem which exists in the real world, shows how widespread and devastating the problem is, and then essentially tells us there's nothing we can do about it. Traffic, in case you didn't know, is specifically about the issue of illegal drug trafficking. It tells the story from many different perspectives, and includes at least 7 different main characters whose lives occasionally intersect. It's like Love Actually if it wasn't funny and lacked any sign of hope. However, despite the bleakness of the film, I was impressed with some of the performances. Michael Douglas, Benicio Del Toro, and Don Cheadle were all standouts for me. While most of the stories feel familiar or even cliched, I was at least pleased to see they were presented well by the cast and the director. There are no big gaping plot holes, or fundamental flaws in the production of Traffic. In fact I would have a hard time nitpicking much that was definitively bad in the film. It just wasn't a style that appeals to me. If there was a revelation at the end that at least felt like closure, or if there were a glimmer of hope somewhere, then I might have appreciated it more. If you are not bothered by stories in this style, then I'd say you should watch Traffic despite the fact that it didn't really work for me.
August 31, 2016
This was superb. Very personal and real. I cannot believe I waited 16 years to watch this film.
½ August 30, 2016
The sprawling nature of Gaghan's screenplay means that some characters are inevitably going to get lost in the shuffle but Soderbergh does his damnedest to make it work and for certain stretches the film comes together in remarkable ways (i.e the changing color plates, anytime Del Toro is onscreen).
½ August 25, 2016
Traffic was directed by Steven Soderbergh and stars too many people to list here. There are three distinct storylines, intersecting at times and all dealing with the war on drugs.

Soderbergh has, in my opinion, put out a LOT of solid material, and Traffic stands out as one of his finest movies and one where his creative touch is used perfectly. The three storylines are easily kept separate thanks to the different type of film used in the cameras (each storyline is either gritty, blue-hued, or normal), making its 2+ hour run time easy to digest. The cinematography is excellent as well - Soderbergh would commonly hold the camera, getting up close and personal to his actors. Speaking of the actors, everybody in this ensemble cast is terrific. From Michael Douglas to Benicio del Toro to Catherine Zeta-Jones, the whole gang puts on a show. While the storylines are dark and few characters are actually good people, the movie keeps your attention and interest thanks to excellent editing.

If you enjoy crime dramas or Steven Soderbergh, you have to see this 2000 hit. Traffic is a very entertaining and enjoyable(?) watch.

Final grade: A

½ August 23, 2016
While some of the storylines hold more strength than others (With Don Cheadle being the high point), the movie is a sprawling tale that showcases the intricacies of the drug trade from top to bottom while being tightly directed.
August 7, 2016
One of the great achievements of American filmmaking. TRAFFIC is a deftly directed, brilliantly edited, startling portrayal of a vicious epidemic in the world, and the multiple levels of society that it directly effects.
½ August 7, 2016
Epic crime drama, that while has aged slightly, ranks as one of the best films to examine the drug war. The cast is superb across the board, with Benecio Del Toro richly deserving his Oscar as the unscrupulous Mexican cop Javier, who deep down inside just might have a soul. Michael Douglas brings great gravitas as the newly appointed drug czar while Don Chealde & Luis Guzman are so much fun as DEA partners you wish they got their own spin-off film (their conversations in the surveillance is some of the funniest & reportedly most realistic scenes in the film). Behind the camera, Soderbergh crafts a epic story balancing the different plots to examine all angles of the subject. What's nice is that he doesn't take a harsh tone on either side, and while critical of the current method of fighting the drug problem doesn't sugarcoat the legalization argument either. He rightly shows these drug dealers & cartels are monsters and drugs do pose danger to it's users, though it does show why people use drugs, as quite frankly, they can be fun. It never gets preachy either, and whenever a character does try, he/she is quickly shot down, often in a very brutal manner. Overall, one of the finest crime movies and films about the drug war to date, that raises serious questions while still being an entertaining watch.
August 6, 2016
Saw it 16 years ago in theaters and loved it. Had to re-watch it, which is not something I do often. It was very much worth it! Just phenomenal film making all around. It's a stellar and large cast bring excellent performances to drive home the effects of the war on drugs. It's a compelling piece of social issues storytelling.
½ July 30, 2016
Definitely one of the best works from Steven Soderbergh. The cast, and storyline and the script are almost unbeatable! Benicia del Toro' s performance and character is both heartwarming and somewhat heartbreaking. The use of Brian Eno' s music at the end scene is pure genius.

Can never get tired of this movie.
July 23, 2016
excessively admirable
June 20, 2016
One of my top 5 movies of all time!
April 29, 2016
Excellent acting and a well-crafted script make Traffic a worthwhile watch, even if in retrospect the film's early-2000s-feel and film editing makes it feel dated.
March 29, 2016
Traffic did fairly well on the themes of drug abuse, and all the blurred lines separating good from bad, corrupt from principled, and love for family from call of duty when the former goes against the latter. I just didn't find it that compelling.
½ March 24, 2016
Very dark movie with 3 different stories going on at the same time. To me, the story was very realistic and the acting was excellent.
½ March 2, 2016
With not a single dull moment, "Traffic" is engrossing, gritty, and raises issues still relevant to the war on drugs over a decade after the film's release.
½ February 17, 2016
An always engaging and expertly-edited multi-character drama that offers a grim portrait about the war on drugs and understands that there are no easy solutions for this complex problem. But Soderbergh also exaggerates in his blatantly unsubtle, didactic cinematography.
February 17, 2016
I just review Traffic.This was the best movie ever made on drugs & cartels. Witty , great plot stellar cast.Just terrific.Unforgettable.
½ February 3, 2016
Too many side stories.
None of them stand out.
February 2, 2016
Un polcía mexicano se ve envuelto en una red de corrupción, al mismo tiempo un agente de la DEA trabaja en uan operación encubierto en la DEA, un capo de la droga será capturado y reemplazado por su esposa, mientras que el nuevo zar antidroga de los Estados Unidos deberá lidiar con la adicción a la droga de su hija adolescente.