Evolution - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Evolution Reviews

August 31, 2017
This is good dumb fun with a textbook bunch of antiheroes. The CGI hasn't aged well but a solid sci-fi comedy.
July 27, 2017
For 2000, the CGI and green screen in this film were awful. Ivan is better than this. The acting was solid and had some very smart jokes, but the poor story and sloppy CGI couldn't save this.
June 13, 2017
This movie was great because it was just fun. The actors didn't have to take themselves seriously and they looked like they were having a great time. Its supposed to be ridiculous! Lighten up people
May 10, 2017
I love this film, it is hilarious.
May 6, 2017
love it still after all these years
April 28, 2017
Good old alien (and alien butthole) fun. Still enjoy this movie enough after so many years.
½ March 24, 2017
the storyline is more plausible than the theory.
March 20, 2017
Tries to be 'Ghostbusters' but fails of course. Feels more like a TV movie than a serious film.
November 3, 2016
I'm not going to spend much time on this one, I mean it's not awful, but I spent the whole time just thinking of all the films I'd rather be watching.

Evolution is nominally a sci-fi horror comedy that is neither scary nor funny. follows two college professors who discover an extra-terrestrial organism that has an accelerated rate of evolution.

It's directed by Ivan Reitman, who has not only fathered Jason Reitman, (Up in the Air, Juno, Thank You for Smoking), who, incidentally has a much better track record than his father, who's made Ghostbusters, and the lesser seen but just as critically praised Dave, and that's it. The catch is though that Ghostbusters is an incredible movie. It is one of the classics and deserves to be, it's incredibly sparky, and witty and the performances are incredible in a way this completely fails to live up to. I'm sorry, but David Duchovny, best known for The X-Files and Californication, Orlando Jones, best known for, well, nothing else, and frankly sounds more like a shit pirate of the Caribbean or a knock off superhero, do not Bill Murray and Sigourney Weaver make. There are a few, alright jokes, the only jokes that's anywhere near as clever as half the jokes in Ghostbusters is literally the last shot of the film and by then, frankly I'd lost patience.

My friend told me that her brother had never watched this film sober, and I can believe it, but here's the thing, there are really good stoner/drunk movies. Harold & Kumar Get the Munchies, which we incidentally watched the same day, is an incredibly witty, sparky and funny comedy with genuine jokes that work above a level of fnar-fnar.

The film's saving grace is Julianne Moore, (The Big Lebowski, Children of Men, Still Alice), who I will watch in anything, and she is really good in this, a role that is frankly a bit demeaning, but she elevates it, I think. Although that might just be my goodwill towards Moore shining through. Whether or not she quite pull it off she is by far the best thing in the movie. Dan Akyroyd, (Ghostbusters, The Blues Brothers, Trading Places) of all people shows up, and this must have been after he just went completely mad because he's clearly trying to do that thing where you just have the time of your life eating scenery with chips on the side in a b movie, but, he's just completely flat, I mean he showed up and I thought 'my god finally someone who's funny and can add some kind of spark of life to this, for the most part wet fish of a movie' but no he's just flat and wet and boring and aweful and I with they'd got him to stay at home. Honestly if they'd gotten Dennis Leary in then at least they wouldn't have spoiled my opinion of him. I mean Dennis Leary does knock off army general in his sleep it's pretty much all he does in films like Small Soldiers.

I know, it may be unfair to keep comparing it to Ghostbusters but it's the difference between The Big Lebowski and Pineapple Express for stoner comedies, or even Harold & Kumar Get the Munchies and Pineapple Express. Ghostbusters is a sci-fi horror comedy that is both scary and funny. Evolution is neither, it has 2 funny scenes, 1 of which, as I've said, you have to wait for the end of the film to see, and honestly, the other one you can find on YouTube and it's just as funny if not funnier.
½ October 1, 2016
I don't care what anyone says, I really like this movie, it's just dumb fun, it has a great cast, it harkens back to the OTP cheesy effects driven sci-fi monster movies of the '50s, & I was thoroughly entertained by it. The best thing about it, is that it didn't take itself seriously, which is what made so fun.
September 26, 2016
An underrated movie from Ivan Reitman where the sci-fi, buddy comedy genre is brought back after several years tucked away in the 1980's.
Fronted by Fox Mulder (a popular face and star at the time) and supported by Orlando Jones and Stiffler, the trio provide a good level of on screen chemistry.
Although used as criticism the SFX in this film are pretty good even by today's standards and were perfect showing off various Alien lifeforms.
The script although basic is easy enough even for your popcorn muncher to follow whilst they enjoy cheesy jokes and lavish effects.
Maybe not up to his mark of previous efforts, Evolution is still worthwhile..
September 10, 2016
Love this movie 15 years later
September 2, 2016
Funny movie and a kind of movie you watch to kill sometime . The plot makes sense acting isnt bad .
August 28, 2016
Silly, funny movie with the perfect actor to play the straight. The 'firetruck charge' was a much more emotional scene by the time this made it to DVD. Orlando Jones' face when the alien farts is the most memorable moment of this film.
½ April 17, 2016
Stop thinking anyone involved with X-Files can do something that's not cheesy as hell and devoid of intelligent layers. Ok? Ok.
jamrcla
½ March 27, 2016
A pretty average sci fi comedy thats gags are mostly fart jokes but it's enjoyable funny in places, The effects were ok for its time, Nothing memorable but not terrible either.
March 16, 2016
While not nearly as bad as its 42 percent rating would suggest, Evolution clearly tries too hard to be Ghostbusters when it's just an average sci-fi-comedy.
½ March 8, 2016
A B Movie with a budget.

Man this movie is stupid, but I cannot deny that it was fun at times. Yes it has more than its share of gross out humor, none of the jokes I would consider clever, but the way it was done was sure fun. Popcorn nonsense filled with a lot of 90's.
February 5, 2016
Ca-Caw! Ca-Caw! Ca-Caw! Ah Ah Ee Ee Tookie Tookie! Tookie Tookie! Ca-Caw Ca-ca-caw-ca-caw-caw-caw! Ca-ca-caw!

Wayne, I think we've established that "Ca-Caw Ca-Caw" and "Tookie Tookie" don't work.
January 23, 2016
This is movie is so, so bad that you just have to laugh with the badness of it all.
Positives: So bad that it's good to laugh at.
Negatives: Champoo placement, yaikes; And well, everything else.