The Fast and the Furious - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fast and the Furious Reviews

½ April 15, 2018
Michelle Rodriguez is so hot in this movie. And there are so many fast cars and so many hot women.
March 29, 2018
i'm really not a fan of the 1st film to be honest, well i don't hate it is just well out of story.
March 25, 2018
Overall, the film is a fun first instalment in the franchise, with a simple story and characters. Because of this, I am rating the film a 7.5/10.
January 11, 2018
I HOPE IT'S A GOOD MOVIE, BECAUSE PAUL WALKER DIED ON THE CAR ACCIDENT. BUT HE DID A GOOD JOB AT THE FAST & THE FURIOUS 7. SO I MISS PAUL WALKER ON THE NEWS.
January 4, 2018
Movie held up very well.
One of the best in series that I have re-watched again foe maybe 25th time just to write here.
There are some cheezy lines and oneliners in movie, bad acting also but that is ok in 2001. Also the movie ends without resolution for Brian and his job. Not sure why. Maybe they had no idea how to handle it?
½ December 24, 2017
This seems to quest at its very best to be average, leveraging spotty performances with spotty action with gaping holes in logic and motivation.
December 23, 2017
The Fast And The Furious is a fun Action Movie about Cars and family
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.5

The Fast and The Furious lo tiene todo para convertirse en un clásico; muy aparte de un guión no muy bueno pero rico en escencia de inicio a fin.
November 24, 2017
FAST AND THE FURIOUS does not try to be something it is not. Therefore, it surprises me to no end that I will say that FURIOUS is a decent movie. For dialogue, everything is one-lined crazy nonsense. Most characters are ultimately cruel to everyone and each other. Some lame brained antics are done. But it all works out. FAST AND THE FURIOUS is definitely for these times and shows all aspects of the real world and who survives in it through cars and the people that drive them.

After losing his job to Dominic Toretto, an untouchable to some, Brian sets out to win his respect by putting his car on the line against the speed demon. Meanwhile, the cops are desperately seeking the perpetrators of several truck hijackings and believe Toretto is the man behind it.

With a built of guilt in me, I am proud of saying that FURIOUS was impressive in its execution. The editing was top notch, the camera work well laid out and some surprising acting from a script made of cardboard. There was not much you could do with FURIOUS, but then it starts to feature more on the engines than the cars themselves. It also never forgets the story. FAST AND THE FURIOUS smokes the competition in its genre, if only for the moment.Every summer a film comes around that takes everyone by surprise. Last year it was Scary Movie and I'm sure in 1977 it was a film like Star Wars and then in 1981 it was Raiders of the Lost Ark. Now I am not saying that The Fast and the Furious is in the same class as Raiders and Star Wars, just that it surprised everyone on the same level. F&F is short on plot and dialogue and even some of the acting is lame, but what it is oozes is testosterone. It pumps your blood, increases your adrenaline and attacks you with fast cars, sexy women and that one invariable that I think it has going for it... Vin Diesel. There is just something about the guy, something that you really can't put your finger on, but he just has it. Maybe it is charisma, maybe it is charm, maybe it is just that he resembles some of the action heroes from the 80's with his chiseled triceps and his slabs of pecs. Maybe it is all those things and maybe it is none of those things, all I know is that F&F is exactly what I had hoped it would be and nothing more. This is the summer movie that I have been waiting for. It's not that the films that have been out so far aren't that great because some of them are, it's just that this is the one that epitomises what summer as a teen ager is all about. It is no wonder that exit polls for this film were around 65-70% under the age of 21. And maybe that is why I enjoyed it so much. I am pushing 30 but isn't it cool to lose yourself in a film that reminds you what it was like to be in highschool. And isn't it cool to watch street racers break 140 miles an hour wile they shoot NOS through their vehicles? Well isn't it?

F&F doesn't contain any machinations similar to a film like Mission Impossible and it doesn't dazzle us with special effects of impending doom like Armageddon did, but it takes us into a world where people live life "a quarter of a mile at a time."

Vin Diesel plays Dominic Toretto, a massive, bald mechanic that owns a garage but street races on the side to make some extra cash. Paul Walker ( The Skulls, Varsity Blues) plays Brian Spindler. He is a cop that has infiltrated the street gang to find out who is highjacking trucks and stealing all their merchandise. There are about four rival street gangs in L.A. and one of them is pulling this off. He has to figure out which one. Of course along the way he seduced by the life, but that is not what we really care about. All we want to see is lots of racing, a few crashes, some fights and some sex. F&F doesn't disappoint. If what you have seen in the trailers of the film excites and entices you, then you know exactly what you're in for. This is not going to win any Oscars for anything but what it will do is entertain you. It will expedite you for 90 minutes into a world where Honda's are souped up to look like Dragons and junkyard scraps are rebuilt from scratch to be better than they were before, better, stronger and faster. If this film appealed to you in the commercial, it will appeal to you on the screen.

And of course there is Vin Diesel. He first made a name for himself in Saving Private Ryan where he played Capparrzo. Then he jumped onto the scene with his excellent and grandiose turn as Riddick in Pitch Black. I think this is the film that got him noticed because no one had even heard of him before this. Then he did Boiler Room and he showed a different side to him. But F&F is all muscle and sheer bravado. I think Vin is going to do great things in the years to come. He is not a nobody anymore. This film will take care of that. And face it, isn't it cool to see the genesis of a new action hero?It begins with a spectacular action scene where three Honda Civics execute a high-speed highjacking of a cargo truck, and from there, the action never stops. With The Fast and the Furious, director Rob Cohen seeks to capture and thrill the audience with a booming soundtrack and non-stop action, and he seems to have succeeded.

The film follows officer Brian O'Connor as he infiltrates a street-racing gang in order to capture the drivers of the three enigmatic Hondas, which have been terrorizing truck drivers in Los Angeles. The gang is led by ex-racer Dominic Toretto. Toretto immediately takes a liking to O'Connor, while his gang seems a bit skeptic. Toretto's right-hand man Vince is O'Connor's main problem, as he suspects the truth about his identity from the very beginning.

The plot is slightly dry, as the movie incorporates many typical aspects of other films of the genre. For example, there's the fact that Toretto is the only one to trust O'Connor. The rest of his gang except for, of course, Vince, quickly follows him. Then there's the whole falling-in-love-with-the-sister-of-the-guy-I'm-about-to-get-arrested subplot. And then there are your typical problems from rival gangs and the hero's attempt to prove himself by striking against them. Yet despite the many stereotypical aspects of the script, the well-developed characters and interesting relationships save the movie from becoming just another heap of typical Hollywood sensationalism.

The movie features strong acting, as the actors work well together and compliment each other's performances. This is only Michelle Rodriguez' second major performance since her film debut in the independent drama Girl Fight, which was a hit at the Cannes Film Festival last year. Not just another bad girl, Rodriguez shows a strong acting ability, which is apparent in her portrayal of Lena. Vin Diesel is also a fairly good actor who seems to be climbing through the ranks of Hollywood. Best known for his role in the failed science-fiction thriller Pitch Black, Diesel sports a memorable attitude and strong screen presence that promise to make him a contender for future stardom. Opting to cast less known, yet strong actors instead of more commercially viable ones, Rob Cohen has created a well-rounded cast, which gives the movie its fresh attitude and memorable mood.

Yet it is the action scenes that are the real stars of the movie. Featuring three races and four equally spectacular action sequences, the movie delivers fast and furious action from beginning to end. Accompanied by a rocking soundtrack, the action sequences are put together by flawless editing and elaborate stunts, effectively creating a maddening adrenaline rush in any viewer.

A long time producer and Harvard graduate, Cohen has achieved success a director, with movies such as Dragonheart, The Skulls, Daylight, Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story (which he also wrote and starred in) and several episodes of the series Miami Vice. He is also a screenwriter and has had small roles in some of his movies. He plays a pizza delivery boy in The Fast and The Furious.

Although the slight semblance of a plot does not make this something for the serious moviegoer, the relentless action more than makes up for it. Not too long and filled with fantastic cars and non-stop entertainment, The Fast and the Furious will leave you dazed and breathless.
Author: PWNYCNY from United States
24 October 2011
This is a great movie. Far from being superficial pulp, this movie has a complex plot. Vin Diesel's performance is tremendous; his screen presence is dominating. He succeeds in carrying the movie. Although the movie contains lots of glitz, it also tells a story that deals with themes such as loyalty and betrayal. The rest of the cast is excellent too, especially Jordana Brewster and Paul Walker. Michelle Rodriguez is as usual wonderful. It would be easy to dismiss this movie as being little more than a live action cartoon, but the movie really is full of surprises. It has several intensely dramatic scenes, some of the most incredible car chase scenes, and some deeply esoteric verbal exchanges fraught with emotion. Whether it's Vin Diesel pouting or Paul Walker being heroic, the results are same: nonstop action, intense dialog, and interesting characters, all of which together produce great entertainment. It's more than just about automobiles
November 20, 2017
could be worse ( actually it couldn't) it's dumb and I really don't like these films
½ November 20, 2017
This is an OK movie. The acting is bad and so is the "cool" dialogue. It's also surprisingly violent and profane. Nothing like modern Fast and Furious movies.
½ August 15, 2017
While the acting is poor and the dialogue is abysmal, there are a few really well done action sequences where the stunt men come to the movie's rescue of being predictable and cheesy.
August 1, 2017
The very start of the Fast franchise, under the hood of the shiny cars, rebellion and status. It is one of the first movies to portray the bad guy, Toretto, as an inherently good person with an unfortunate childhood and also the main character. It values family (regardless of blood relation), sympathy and forgiveness. The adrenaline rush that comes with the cars and races are most definitely also a plus!
July 29, 2017
Although there is not much to the story, The fast and the furious is still a fun film. it has cool cars and is over the top, but not as over the top as some of the others.

7.5/10
½ July 23, 2017
This is a pretty good movie, it's really fun
July 20, 2017
Amazing the best one in my opinion
½ July 11, 2017
The first time I watched this film, I actually thought it was a spoof of something for about an hour, because the acting was so bad. Awful.
½ June 23, 2017
Not too bad, but it wasn't special enough to need a billion sequels after.
½ June 21, 2017
It is a guilty pleasure of mine Otherwise it is an alright movie
It.may not be one of the best films of all time but provides a lot of escapism and entetainnent
½ June 14, 2017
Watching this flashy and eyesores race while stealing DVDs makes the early 2000's cringe worthy. Age has not being good to this film and neither will I.