All or Nothing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

All or Nothing Reviews

½ June 26, 2015
An oft neglected Mike Leigh film. I found it beyond moving (I cried!) and absolutely brilliant in its deliberate pacing, attention to detail and understated but powerhouse performances. Anyone attempting realism in narrative film should really be aiming for Leigh's high watermark -- its a peak very rarely grasped by other filmmakers. There really isn't anyone else doing work like -- not since Berman, but even he wasn't a realist like Leigh is.

This may be the best way to show off Leigh's unique methodology of crafting characters by working with actors. These actors (each of them amazing) literally create and become their character's through studious rehearsal and pre-production processes. By the time the film is made it is as if Leigh is doing documentary work, capturing the real people suffering before him. Timothy Spall, despite his distinctive appearance, proves himself again a chameleon when working with Leigh. It took me several minutes to recognize Sally Hawkins (she is radiant -- amazing -- still one of my favorite actors). Perhaps one of his finest films, not to be neglected -- place it alongside Secrets & Lies, Another Year and Naked.
November 3, 2014
Prepare to be sucked into a world in which you feel every emotion experienced by the character on screen. Heartbreaking and brilliant.
September 28, 2014
Mike Leigh es la contraparte inglesa de los hermanos Dardenne en Francia. Leigh lleva años narrando con una maestría intachable los avatares de la clase trabajadora en películas como "Naked", "Secret And Lies" o "Vera Drake", entre otras magníficas obras. En esta cinta, Leigh se enfoca en tres familias y como una Matrioshka, disecciona las relaciones que se establecen entre el trabajo, los padres, las madres, las hijas y las parejas. "All Or Nothing" es una cinta que toca las fibras más profundas de todos aquellos que por alguna circunstancia hemos tenido alguna vez que comer mierda. Imperdible.
½ September 3, 2014
Wow what a grim and depressing movie. Centering on a working class London family in crisis, the story focuses on the father -a depressed cabbie, his aloof common law wife and their two overweight and aimless teenage children. We also get caught up in some of the neighbors from the council housing complex with a host of problems; violence, alcoholism, abuse, unplanned pregnancies, creepy guys preying on girls. Anyways this was bleak all-round. The acting is good though from a mostly unknown cast except Timothy Spall who is fantastic- just heartbreaking as Phil. [To his wife, in tears] "You treat me like shit." 8/31/14
August 12, 2014
Odd movie. Anticlamatic
July 13, 2014
While my main complaint would be that "All or Nothing" is somewhat bleaker than the usual Mike Leigh film, he still makes it as great and memorable of his best works.
July 6, 2014
One of my favourite films. Spall is fantastic and the wonderful Sally Hawkins shows her versatility in one of her earlier films. A treasure.
November 18, 2013
If you're looking for a good time, this isn't it... but if your life is in the shitter, and you want a friendly reminder that it can indeed get worse, pop 'All or Nothing' into your DVD player.
September 1, 2013
I'm not really sure how he does it, but I always get a little uncomfortable when I watch a Mike Leigh movie. Life just never gives his characters a break.
½ July 11, 2013
A comic and moving examination of life in an impoverished South London housing complex, features marvelous performances, especially from Leigh stalwart Timothy Spall.
½ June 21, 2013
Dry eyes by the end, but still very heartfelt and poignant in it's way of capturing what it likes to live life, day by day.
½ June 2, 2013
To be honest, I just had trouble sympathizing with most of the characters.
½ March 14, 2013
The love for others and the love we take too much for granted--Unique psychological study!!
January 26, 2013
"I mean, if you knew what was going to happen to you when you got up in the morning, you'd never get out of bed." Love Mike Leigh.
January 7, 2013
One of my favorite Mike Leigh movies
½ December 4, 2012
Mike Leigh simply cannot do wrong. Sure, the characters are intolerable for most of the film. Some say too much, some constantly speak irreverently and others hardly talk at all. They're all misfits in one way or another, and yet they remain ordinary people. It's remarkable how powerful the depictions of these characters are, and not only because of Leigh's brilliant writing, but also because of the extraordinary acting. Timothy Spall is someone modern audiences are used to seeing as a sniveling dirt-bag, but here and in other films (but especially here) he demonstrates a great capacity to be a normal man with very real troubles. What an incredible film.
August 11, 2012
A terribly sad story about mundane, everyday life of simple people.
½ July 21, 2012
One of Leigh's best, the film slowly builds momentum, moving from an utterly hopeless and desperate situation, to one that, when we look closer, has occasional glimmers of light. In this, the film lightens as it moves along, offering a sense of hope that comes from seeing love as complete and utter commitment. The climactic scene with Penny and Phil is beautifully photographed and edited, highlighting the physicality of their relationship that makes our hope for them tangible.
May 16, 2012
There's an extended scene (the film's penultimate one) in the family's apartment that holds a level of verisimilitude that I doubt I'll ever forget.
½ April 19, 2012
Im a Mike Leigh fan. I think Secrets and Lies is excellent, as is happy go lucky and Another year. See my reviews, its all 'my cup of tea'.

This however is not up to his usual standards. Lacking humour or warmth this is a bleak picture of South London and is in my opinion a bad story.

Theres also several scenes which just dont make sense, like why does the Mum ask her daughter if she has sugar in her tea? In a place where everyone drinks tea all the time why would you ask? you would just know.

Also the alcoholic woman in the film, yeah, Im not buying it. She just wouldnt be like that, her scenes were just plain wrong, as if she wouldnt know how to call an ambulance, or fall over at the bar like that. Nope. Not accurate.

Also, maybe it was just netflix but the sound was terrible, either way too loud or way to quiet. I couldnt hear anything Phil was saying, Timothy Spall mumbled the whole way through. Why? There was no need!

Its rather depressing of course but in the normal course of events I dont mind that, I dont mind a tear jerker - give me one I'll happily sob at the end. Of course this is not that kind of film, but at the end I just don't care for the characters - any of them. Bugger it.