Ned Kelly - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ned Kelly Reviews

March 15, 2016
The Australian outback has provided new territory for the western genre. This is a sympathetic, but even-handed account of the life and death of the legendary outlaw, Ned Kelly. The mostly young cast are impressive, especially Heath Ledger as Ned. The storytelling is simple but effective, and it paints a picture of doomed struggle by persecuted people. Given the fact of Heath Ledger's recent passing, the film now has an added note of tragedy. But 'Ned Kelly' is his movie, and a fitting legacy to a young man who went too soon.
March 14, 2016
It's an ok movie, even though most of the movie is historically inaccurate and the ending is a little bit cheesy.
February 18, 2016
An extremely conventional western. Wooden acting, bland cinematography, and a lack of effort overall. While from time to time decent, this is boring.
January 27, 2016
A good accurate movie on the most quintessential Australian character of our history. I watched it in Australia Day 2016 and it intrigued me to research further Ned Kelly and the outlaws of the era. I was surprised at the accuracy of the recount, with only the minimal being stretched to improve the movies narrative.
December 19, 2015
A clumsy, turgid, wooden, melodramatic, and bizarrely displaced daytime-TV quality western, with a bit of straight-to-DVD standard of potboiler thrown in just for good measure. No attempt to explore or unravel the myth, and nor does it even try to turn him into a Hollywood hero. Hilariously it avoids the cliche of being a destination-Australia tourism advert by using epic quantities of unlikely mud, rain and sunless skies. An utterly inexplicable train crash.
October 30, 2015
Out of all the film's that have been inspired by the 'legend' that Ned Kelly has become, this particular 2003 interpretation of Australia's most famous Bushranger (or "Wild Colonial Boy", an Outlaw of Colonial Australia) is the most entertaining screen version of the Bushranger's life and exploits that have made him such an icon to Australia alone. I humbly admire every bit of the effort everyone involved put into this film; to bring the story of Ned Kelly to the big screen. I must say the cinematography, production design, costumes and make up are every bit as exceptional as what any other previous Colonial Australia films have portrayed in the past, It really does look like you're stepping back in time. Heath Ledger is certainly one of the finest actors to have ever played the role of Ned Kelly, add to that you've got several more internationally known actors such as Naomi Watts, Geoffrey Rush and Orlando Bloom in very significant memorable roles, not to mention there are some minor roles from now very well known Australian actors such as Joel Edgerton and Emily Browning. Klaus Bedelt's score even gives the film a great sense of poetic Colonial life and gives us just as much of a primary storytelling essence as the actual film itself. Add to that, with such an incredibly poetic and immersive script along with Ledger's performance, this gives us an insight as to what Ned did and why he did what he did. While not one hundred per cent historically accurate, the craftsmanship and character study essence is what really makes this film worth it, and it's easy enough to come to this film with very little to 'no' knowledge about who Ned Kelly is. But in defining everything about the man or legend Ned Kelly has since become (and will remain), then look no further than to seek out this very underrated and magnificently made film purely for your own historical or entertainment fascination.
½ September 12, 2015
This was an okay film, the filming location was absolutely beautiful. Heath Ledger does a great job in acting this role out. The fact that it is a true story adds to it, sort of like an Irish Jessie James. Some parts I did not understand and it kept me guessing but ended up watching it all the way until the end. As that being said for this being an okay film with a solid plot and solid performances from all main characters, I give " Ned Kelly " a C-.
May 27, 2015
op (over powered) trailer I love it I can watch it 24-7 wow
January 20, 2015
There's something in Ned Kelly' that's lost in the translation from Australia to America.
½ December 22, 2014
A good western showing the harshness of Australia and its colonial system in the late 19th century that led to the legend of Ned Kelly. It can be too didactic at some times or even too glorifying for Ned, but it still depicts with exactitude the unhappy destiny of four Irish selectors' sons.
August 22, 2014
So bad. Heath Ledger's dreadful Irish accent is distracting as is his poorly exaggerated acting. The movie is unbearably slow and difficult to watch. (First viewing - In my early twenties)
June 7, 2014
Not that I'm an expert on the story of Ned Kelly but this seems quite a biased portrayal. Despite that though, its quite an enjoyable film that kept me entertained right up until the inevitable sad ending. I do understand their initial grievances, but they could hardly go on murdering policeman and getting away with it forever!
½ February 9, 2014
Thinking that time will be more generous to this movie and giving it 3 1/2 out of 5.
January 18, 2014
Great story and Heath Ledger was pretty spot on.
½ January 15, 2014
I could not get into Ned Kelly. The movie rarely held my interest. It's decently made with a few good parts and a handful of talented actors, but it's just so damn dull, drab and dour. Heath Ledger was all right as Kelly, Orlando Bloom never really stood out to me, and I thought Geoffrey Rush was underused as Kelly's nemesis.
Like I said, Ned Kelly is a decent movie. It's just not compelling enough to merit multiple viewings, or really even first viewings unless you're in the mood for a depiction of the Australian outlaw.
January 1, 2014
Good cinematography and production design. Story and performances are just ok. Just not compelling enough to make me wanna say more.
½ November 11, 2013
It's a movie that has a lot of great action, horse riding, great acting and some well shot cinematography it was a fun experience
½ October 19, 2013
Again Joel Edgerton was the reason for me to watch a movie but his character was awful. The movie wasn't my cup of tea either. Orlando Bloom and Heath Ledger looked so fake the whole time, couldn't get into it.
July 28, 2013
I don't know if donning make shift armor is factually correct, but I know it made for a cheesy scene. Otherwise, good (Australian) western.
July 27, 2013
I don't know if the part where they don home made armor is real, but it is cheesy. Otherwise, I liked this movie.