The Terminal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Terminal Reviews

March 16, 2017
My favorite Spielberg movie, without a doubt.
½ March 7, 2017
Not perfect, in fact you could say this is a let down for both Spielberg and Hanks, two big legends, but I actually still liked this movie overall.
January 30, 2017
viewed on 4/10/04 (Sun)

I don't think Steven Spielberg is good with comedies. This is easily one of my least favourites, together with AMISTAD. I even like AI and CATCH ME IF YOU CAN. I think the problem is Steven Spielberg is so renowed as a wonderful director that any mediocre from him is considered as something bad.

I catch myself yawning, figeting alot and even daydreaming during the show. Thinking of a reason, I think I should not say Steven is not good at comedies. Some scenes can make me laugh because it tickles me like many Hollywood comedies will. Like the part Tom Hanks keeps going back with a light green form to fish for information about a girl over the counter so that he can be fed with food from a guy who likes her. Like the part the Indian cleaner with a habit of watching people slipping because they always ignore the warning sign posts. These parts are funny but not original.

The feel-good bit comes in more 'unnatural'. What with the episode of the medicine for the goats? I find the romantic subplot of the food guy and the counter girl is redundant. I also find the romance between Tom Hanks and Catherine not convincing enough. The part when they throw their beepers out is very corny. I bet even Catherine feels awkward too.

Yup. I don't like the movie. Many will hate me for saying this but I think it can be a much better movie if it is directed by, like Chris Columbus or Jon Turteltaub or Ivan Reitman.

Expected Rating: A-
Rating: B-
January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 1, 2017
The first half is engaging with a very interesting performance from Hanks but as the film progresses, it turns into the most overly sentimental and forcefully cliche'd almost "Lifetime" film that takes away any genuine interest in Victor Kaborski and the ridiculous and sloppily written love story between him and Katherine Zeta-Jones.
January 1, 2017
A surprisingly light weight affair for Spielberg; light in both tone and content. What starts as an interesting concept quickly loses traction as characters lapse into pantomime stereotype and the plot unravels from sweet to implausible to utterly ridiculous. The movie is largely saved by Hanks' Everyman charm and if there is a standout in The Terminal it's a showcase for his superb comic timing and physical comedy. It's perfectly watchable but given the talent involved a strangely saccharine misfire.
November 28, 2016
one of the best movies I've seen in my lifetime.
November 25, 2016
The terminal is a delicate comedy balancing between a romance, a monologue, the hero story, and a socio-political commentary. It truly is a work of art that banks on its eery nature and its one in a million plot.
½ November 17, 2016
Anchored by fantastic set designs, moments of genuine wonder and a typically excellent Tom Hanks performance, The Terminal is a fish out water story told with warmth and charm, largely thanks to its lead. Adopting a Russianesque accent and wandering around with befuddlement thick and obvious on his face, he adjusts to, and even learns to thrive in, his state of diplomatic limbo. Catherine Zeta-Jones as a love interest, is likable despite being underwritten and not especially convincing. Stanley Tucci has a great time as the officious officer confused and frustrated by the situation unfolding in his airport. The ending is easily the weakest part of the movie, being about as phoney, schmaltzy and manufactured as can be. No surprise that it's a Spielberg film. Despite this, it's an enjoyable watch overall, as our hero constantly evolves as he interacts with his environment and those around him. His journey is an emotional one, something of a midlife coming of age story, and while slow at times, it's still thoroughly enjoyable.
October 22, 2016
This is a really powerful movie that focuses none other but us. The United States of America. It focuses on our crazy immigration policies, it focuses on the death grip that we have on how we perceive how well our system works, among other things. This is a really good look at American culture - good and bad, in and out.
½ October 15, 2016
I don't know what wrong with everyone i like this movie.
September 17, 2016
One of the must see movies! Absolutely mind blowing performance by Tom Hanks and in my belief one of Mr. Spielberg's best works. It is a favorite in my family and we all truly enjoy seeing it. I'd give it 10 stars, 5 doesn't do it justice.
September 9, 2016
It's easy to get past the absurdity of the premise of a man trapped into living in a JFK terminal by bureaucratic rules, because of the charm and humor of the story. Tom Hanks is irresistible.
August 13, 2016
Victor Navorksi (played by Tom Hanks), a man from the Eastern European
nation of Krakozhia, flies into JFK airport. At Customs he is forbidden
entry to the USA - Krakozhia has been taken over in a coup and the US
does not currently recognise the new regime, or nation. In addition,
the borders of Krakozhia are now closed. This leaves Victor in limbo -
he cannot enter the US or go back to Krakozhia. While waiting for the
diplomatic situation to sort itself out he is forced to live in the
International Transit section of JFK, living off his own
resourcefulness. He also makes some new friends along the way.

Painful to watch. The movie had heaps of potential as a wry look at
diplomacy and international politics and how it affects everyday
people. Instead director Steven Spielberg tries to make this
thought-provoking situation into a comedy.

Not that it's funny. Well, maybe if you're 10 years old, it's funny,
but if you've got a developed sense of humour or any degree of
intelligence, it's not funny at all. 10-year-olds do seem to be the
target market as the "humour" is corny and involves cultural
stereotypes, no-speak-English farce and other cheap shots.

Continuing the made-for-kids theme, the movie quickly regenerates into
a poor downtrodden hero vs all-powerful bad guy caper. Pity that the
"bad guy", the head of security for JFK, is actually trying to help
Victor, while doing his job. He gives Victor ample opportunities and
avenues to improve his situation but Victor is too stupid to take them.
Yet Spielberg makes him the bad guy and Victor the good guy.

There is also a romantic drama element to this. Once again, it's more
kids' fantasy than anything approaching reality. The catering
guy-customs woman story was very stupid and contrived. The Victor- air
hostess story was a bit more realistic, but very trite.

Tom Hanks delivers easily his most irritating performance, laying on
the faux Russian accent and no-speak-English shtick so thick that it is
impossible to like Victor.

Then we have inconsistencies in character behaviour, sub-plots that go
nowhere, random stuff that just happens to sort out a situation, cheesy sentimentality. The
only times I liked the movie were when Victor showed some
resourcefulness (eg the baggage trolleys/25c).

What a mess.
July 19, 2016
Probably would've been better had I not known how much better Spielberg and Hanks are capable of.
July 1, 2016
The worst movie ever made!
June 21, 2016
A fun Tom Hanks performance carries this sweet and charming Spielberg film.
½ June 20, 2016
Not the first time I've seen this one but even for a die-hard Spielberg fan The Terminal can slip under the radar. I'm constantly amazed by the range Tom Hanks has in his performances. Here he's just an ordinary citizen from another country in Eastern Europe and you don't see Tom Hanks. The subtleties in his character are great. What elevates this are the characters around him, loud and full of agendas. While I don't think Hanks' goal is particularly strong, it's commendable. Antagonists are simple and the romance is actually profound. Navorski's honesty, patience, and virtuous inclinations are what carry this film. He is constantly serving others without asking for anything in return. He is willing to follow the rules in a country he doesn't know. He is willing to make everything around him better even when everything around him wants him to go away. We all have our own agenda, our own plan that we desperately want to control and that's why we need a little Navorsky in our lives. Newsflash! We are not in control and thank God otherwise earth would be worse. Our agendas and our plans mean we live for ourselves while Navorsky lives for others. His sole purpose is someone outside of himself. He is good. He is the kind of man that other men should emulate and women should desire. Spielberg takes the airport world and fits the entire planet into it, boiling all of our problems and victories down to relationships with strangers. How do we treat strangers? How do we serve them? Do we ask ourselves what's in it for us or how can I make this person's day genuinely better. The Terminal is well directed and a well scripted dramedy that will keep you guessing and make you care for a man who would honestly care about you should he cross your path.