The Terminal - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Terminal Reviews

November 13, 2017
Charming movie with laughs and inspiration
½ November 6, 2017
Tom Hanks gives one of his best performances here but a movie about a guy living in an airport is not my cup of tea and it's a little long.
½ October 6, 2017
When I first saw this movie (around 2007), I honestly thought this was a great, feel-good movie about the rough and overly politicized way we treat foreign people in a war torn country. Currently, (besides the interesting way the main character makes a living in the airport) I found the fictionalized country that Tom Hanks' character is from is an unfair representation of foreigners looking to just travel to America. I know it's a post-9/11 response film, but a movie about a man from either Iran/Iraq/Afghanistan would have been much better and faithful to the citizens.
September 26, 2017
A relaxed, straight, and less-than-ambitious dramedy from Steven Spielberg that features Tom Hanks' only non-American role.
September 26, 2017
viewed on 4/10/04 (Sun)

I don't think Steven Spielberg is good with comedies. This is easily one of my least favourites, together with AMISTAD. I even like AI and CATCH ME IF YOU CAN. I think the problem is Steven Spielberg is so renowed as a wonderful director that any mediocre from him is considered as something bad.

I catch myself yawning, figeting alot and even daydreaming during the show. Thinking of a reason, I think I should not say Steven is not good at comedies. Some scenes can make me laugh because it tickles me like many Hollywood comedies will. Like the part Tom Hanks keeps going back with a light green form to fish for information about a girl over the counter so that he can be fed with food from a guy who likes her. Like the part the Indian cleaner with a habit of watching people slipping because they always ignore the warning sign posts. These parts are funny but not original.

The feel-good bit comes in more 'unnatural'. What with the episode of the medicine for the goats? I find the romantic subplot of the food guy and the counter girl is redundant. I also find the romance between Tom Hanks and Catherine not convincing enough. The part when they throw their beepers out is very corny. I bet even Catherine feels awkward too.

Yup. I don't like the movie. Many will hate me for saying this but I think it can be a much better movie if it is directed by, like Chris Columbus or Jon Turteltaub or Ivan Reitman.

Expected Rating: A-
Rating: B-
September 8, 2017
Phenomenal! An all star cast coupled with one of the greatest directors of all time! How can you go wrong?!
½ August 12, 2017
great story, great acting. what an amazing character. very funny. kept me interested throughout this relatively long run time. a good love story for the most part. some cheesiness common to older movies but not too much. wow CZJ (2 viewings)
½ July 16, 2017
Unbelievable in many elements, especially in creating an unecessary villain, but the two main characters are more authentic: Zeta-Jones' love interest is cleverly written and refreshingly three-dimensional and Hanks' performance melts the heart so much that it's hard not to love The Terminal.
July 16, 2017
Apart from other critics, I would like to say this is greatly made when it comes to discrimination of other people from other nations. Neither men nor women should be mistreated according to their races, genders, ages, distributions of wealth and nationalities. I made a conclusion not to treat anyone based on them. It was surely educational and informative. I learned that I have missed something very important to us. Since we are living in a multicultural society, we don't need to fight and argue but have to get together to get through our future laid down upon us. Impressively done.
June 27, 2017
Laughed out Loud on so many dialogues. Funny thing is, I just arrived from our newly built airport in Jakarta, and almost all of the brands in the JFK airport pictured in the movie are also there in Soekarno-Hatta airport. I love it! :ets go t the airport. :)
June 27, 2017
A heart-warming story .
June 17, 2017
A different story from Steven Spielberg.The story tells us how bad it is when u can't speak english and how bad it is not to have a homeland.Tom Hanks proves again that he's a brilliant actor.I almost believed that he's from Krakozhia :)
May 12, 2017
Very touching indeed. I have seen this movie four or five times over the years and never ceased to taste it like a fresh coffee in the morning.
May 6, 2017
Seeing as this was supposed to be inspired by the real life story of Merhan Nasseri it had great potential for a true life drama that was for some reason converted into a comedy that wasn't remotely funny. A beyond boring film that didnt feel like it bore any resemblance to what might happen in a real life scenario. By far the worst Tom Hanks film I've ever seen with the character he portrays being so harmless it's annoying. Why would Spielberg go to the bother of making this movie and not portray more accurately the real life story of Nasseri?!
March 16, 2017
My favorite Spielberg movie, without a doubt.
½ March 7, 2017
Not perfect, in fact you could say this is a let down for both Spielberg and Hanks, two big legends, but I actually still liked this movie overall.
January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 1, 2017
The first half is engaging with a very interesting performance from Hanks but as the film progresses, it turns into the most overly sentimental and forcefully cliche'd almost "Lifetime" film that takes away any genuine interest in Victor Kaborski and the ridiculous and sloppily written love story between him and Katherine Zeta-Jones.
January 1, 2017
A surprisingly light weight affair for Spielberg; light in both tone and content. What starts as an interesting concept quickly loses traction as characters lapse into pantomime stereotype and the plot unravels from sweet to implausible to utterly ridiculous. The movie is largely saved by Hanks' Everyman charm and if there is a standout in The Terminal it's a showcase for his superb comic timing and physical comedy. It's perfectly watchable but given the talent involved a strangely saccharine misfire.