• PG-13, 1 hr. 26 min.

For Your Consideration Reviews

Bathsheba Monk
Bathsheba Monk

February 28, 2013
After I was five minutes into this, I remembered I saw it a couple of years ago. Anyway, it held up. In fact, I liked it better this time around.
Anthony L

September 3, 2012
A mildly amusing Christopher Guest 'Mockumentary' about the Hollywood movie industry. It's not an original idea but it's not the same as the others, although that isn't always a good thing. Considering the collaborations this should have been funnier. There are a few good chuckles here and there but no big belly laughs that you'd expect.
blkbomb
blkbomb

August 11, 2011
Jay Berman: I love that you did all this work, and it'll serve you well - but not on this movie.

For Your Consideration is at times a mildly amusing mocumentary, but for the most part it's jokes fall flat. This is widely considered Guest's worst mocumentary and I'd have to say I agree. I don't know what went wrong here, but you'd think this could have been one of Guest's best.

The story revolves around the shooting of and talent involved in a movie called Home for Purim(later to be called Home for Thanksgiving). The movie deals with Oscar hype and how it affects some of the movies stars. It's easy to tell when the movie wants to be funny; but most of the time it's just not. It still has it's moments of laugh-out-loud humor; it's just not what I expected from a Guest film. The usual cast is involved here again. All of Guest's standards are here; Parker Posey, Fred Willard and Eugene Levy just to name a few.

This is a really disappointing movie because we've already seen what Guest could do with the likes of This is Spinal Tap and Waiting for Guffman. For Your Consideration really deserves no consideration as a good mocumentary.
Lewis C

March 28, 2011
Another amusing Christopher Guest mockumentary, this time set in Hollywood and targeting the hoopla and absurdity surrounding the Oscar's and promise of a nomination.

It took me a little while to warm up to this one, but eventually I got into it and it had some pretty funny moments. It is really quite clever in places, and it's probably not that much of a stretch that a small movie and those involved could be swept up in the rumors of possible Academy Awards in such an extreme manner.

The usual Guest regulars are all here, and so is his particular sense of humor that you either get, or you don't. It's a safe bet that you'll probably like For Your Consideration about as much as you liked other Guest movies like Best in Show. Manage your expectations accordingly.
Thomas J

January 5, 2011
In line with spoofs, mocumentaries are sometimes fun if written well. This is a nice and enjoyable effort but has too many characters to make any real connection.
Keysha H

February 18, 2010
Not as good as Waiting for Guffman, but still great.
Jason S

May 2, 2009
Not one of his best. While the performances were there I felt the story to be a little weak.
Still pretty good though.
Jennifer X

February 9, 2009
My god. If you're going to make a mockumentary, at least mock it properly! The whole concept of the thing is quite ingenious, but unfortunately there is not a modicum of humor is this poorly made, travesty of a film. I mean, I GUESS I like the drunken scene a little bit...but that was about it.
Daniel P

July 6, 2007
The only reason Hollywood was so hard on this one is because it picks on Hollywood so much... and so accurately. Whereas Best in Show felt too long, this one felt too short, I would have loved to see more. Catherine O'Hara's performance is amazing, and one could say that looking only at her facial expressions. Brilliant and dark satire of the Oscars that is really overdue.
Mark H

July 8, 2008
Another funny Christopher Guest "documentary." Whole cast is excellent, but Catherine O'Hara is especially good.
Lafe F

August 17, 2007
Not packed with jokes like "Waiting for Guffman", "Best in Show" and "A Mighty Wind". They abandoned the documentary style for a character-driven narrative. It jumped through the conception, production, release and award-nomination stages of the film-within-film "Home for Purim", and followed several cast and crew through the project. But it fizzled flat without much hilarity. I would say they missed the mark of genius the previous Christopher Guest films had. I chuckled a bit at the "Hollywood Now" segments and how some of the characters dealt with their failure. My second viewing was more enjoyable than my initial, and saw new things to laugh at, like Catherine O'Hara's gleeful interviews, obviously influenced by a facelift, a new outfit, and some powerful prescriptions. I laughed at the plotline and terrible overacting of the Purim movie, and was amused how it was re-branded for a wider audience. I'll chuckle at anything cheap made up to be a work of art. It felt very much like an episode of SCTV.
_kelly .

April 18, 2008
Just watched this for the second time, the first time being opening weekend. While this is one of Guest's inferior works, it still bears the Guest signature comedy, and is thusly more funny than most comedies anyway. Of all of Guest's projects, this was the one I was most excited for (now it's This Side of the Truth) because of its focus on Hollywood and inclusion of Ricky Gervais as a studio exec. When I saw this opening weekend, I was just flat out underwhelmed because I did not laugh as many times as I expected. On a second viewing, the actors offer some subtle performance jokes that I had missed on, especially by Shearer and O'Hara. On second view, I have a deeper appreciation for this film, as is typical with Guest's work but it did not wratchet my rating up, just convinced me to keep it at a 3 1/2 instead of reducing it to a 3. Main reason being, there is more film/Hollywood satire in the last five minutes of "Waiting for Guffman" than there is in this whole movie, so I wish Guest could have concentrated this piece similarly with wit and spice, but instead opts to follow the actors with Oscars in their eyes, which is fun, but not as funny as a 'Remains of the Day' lunchbox.
Aaron N

November 9, 2006
Lane Iverson: You can't throw the baby out with the bathwater because then all you have is a wet, critically injured baby.

A very average comedy for the usually very funny Christopher Guest written comedy. It attempts to be a satire on the Hollywood culture, but the characters, which in Guest's other films are usually ridiculous but likable, are this time ultimately just not very interesting to help with the humor, save for some moments.

The movie ditches Guest's usual mockumentary format for a more straight up story about the making of an independent film which develops rumors of Oscar buzz.

The film they are making is titled "Home for Purim," which could already make a good spoof on the period drama film seeing as how it is about the combination of families, the little celebrated Jewish holiday of Purim, and the daughter coming out about being a lesbian. That would be funny by itself.

The usual Guest cast is present, with Catherine O'Hara playing the lead and saddest role as a veteran actress, very happy to be know she might get more recognition. You also have Harry Shearer as the leading man in the film within this film, who plays his actor self as someone who is clearly scraping from the bottom of the barrel, but knows how to not show his desperation on the outside. Parker Posey is also here as another actress who also gets notice that she might get an Oscar nomination.

The rest of the Guest crew is here as well playing the various crew on the film, including Guest himself as the director, Michael McKean and Bob Balaban as the writers, Eugene Levy as a talent agent, and Jennifer Coolidge as the producer. English funnyman Ricky Gervais makes a welcome newcomer as well acting as the studio head.

The best moments come from Fred Willard and Jane Lynch as the hosts of an Access Hollywood type show, clearly making fun of how ridiculous this kind of news coverage can be.

What doesn't help is how the main characters in the film just aren't that appealing. Even Eugene Levy who usually can make anyone likable doesn't do much. All of Guests film are done through improvisation, but the film as a whole, especially during the first half, is just not that funny.

As it moves on, it does get better as you adjust to the characters. I myself enjoy Parker Posey in Guest's films, so she does a good enough job here, along with the mentioned characters from Willard and Lynch. However, as a whole, the film is mainly just to dry and doesn't push itself far enough.

The subject matter itself has been handled in better movies like State and Main, The Last Shot, Bowfinger, and The Player, dealing with the hassles in getting a film made and how funny it can be. This includes a tired running joke about the internet which seems way out of date.

There are some very funny moments in this movie, but not nearly enough as Guest's past movies.

Corey Taft: Question: Do I look like I have Indian blood?
Pam Campanella: Not at a...
Corey Taft: Question: Would it surprise you to learn that I am 1/8th Mighty Choctaw?
Pam Campanella: It woul...
Corey Taft: Question: Would it astound you to learn that here on the set, I am Corey Taft, but when I'm at home, I'm Jo-Jo?
gor41
gor41

August 23, 2007
The targets for parody here seem too easy and Ricky Gervais doesn't fit the ensemble very well. Fred Willard is excellent as ever. Nothing ground breaking but still full of trademark Guest humour.
Christopher M

July 20, 2007
I absolutely adore the work of Christopher Guest, from Best In Show to Waiting For Guffman, his films are always brilliant and always a riot. In For Your Consideration (the first of his I've seen that is not a mockumentary), he assembles his usual stable of all completely brilliant comedic actors (including Eugene Levy, Guest himself, Catherine O'Hara, Fred Willard, Harry Shearer - and even some new faces) in a film about the making of a film called "Home For Purim", and how the actors are affected when some early Oscar buzz begins to swarm around their production. Like Guest's other films, this chronicles the rise and fall of a group of lovingly idiotic people. The style is similar to the mockumentary, but it was more a film film this time, and although I love the mockumentary style, it still worked very well. For Your Consideration had me laughing out loud dozens of times, and this is a great feat for a film containing such lovely dry comedy. Hilarious, hilarious, hilarious!!! See it!
Michael G

March 4, 2007
Nothing great, but it's got some very funny moments. Fred Willard and Jennifer Coolidge's scenes are the best parts. It seemed like most of the actors from this troupe were underused, unlike with Best In Show and A Mighty Wind. Catch it if you can...
Daniel H

February 28, 2007
Guest finally thows off the Mockumentary format, and does a straight film with his classic entourage and ad-libbed methodology. The result is something akin to a horrific highway pile-up involving nothing but clown cars... that is, tragically hilarious.

Guest may be following some well-worn grooves, and perhaps the material isn't as fresh as earlier in his career... but it still funny, and that is all that counts.
Rico Z

December 13, 2006
This movie had everything going for it: a great concept; a great cast; and a brilliant director (Christopher Guest.) Unfortunately, something went wrong with this installment of the mockumentary-style series of movies Guest has become known for creating. This film had lots of potential with its skewering-Hollywood theme but somehow came up short and ended-up re-using lots of clichés and tired inside jokes that we've seen before in movies like Get Shorty. Fortunately, though, the movie isn't a complete disaster. This is due to the always-brilliant performances the ensemble cast manages to deliver. The highlight of such performances comes from the incredibly talented and disgustingly underrated Catherine O'Hara. She shines and brings life into this rather dull satire.

O'Hara's performance isn't the only one who shines though. Parker Posey and Jennifer Coolidge also outdo their previous forays in a Guest film and snatch up some of the movie's most memorable lines and moments. The movie is not horrible. It does have it's moments of laughter and genuine comedy--but they are few and far between. Compared to a movie like Best In Show or This Is Spinal Tap, this isn't Guests best work. I think that is due, in part, to the fact that his movie strays from the mockumentary style and has more of a developed scripted format. It's not as improvised as the other films appeared to be. Still, I would recommend the movie based on O'Hara alone and the fact that had this movie gotten better audience reception (like Best In Show), she would definitely be up for an Oscar. Or at least a Golden Globe.
Byron B

May 23, 2007
I generally like Christopher Guest mockumentaries, and I love Oscar season movie award buzz, but this movie doesn't mock the subject very well. Is there any movie that makes fun of movie awards well? The caricature characters were collectively too over-the-top. Other Christopher Guest movies have at least felt as if they were based in reality.
Alec B

March 18, 2010
Its Christopher Guest's most mean spirited film and because it was specifically directed at the movie industry its no wonder why it was kind of brushed aside by advertisements and critics when it was released. Its depiction of actors as pretentious attention starved children is right on the money.