Angels & Demons - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Angels & Demons Reviews

April 26, 2017
I thought it was a really good movie
February 20, 2017
Angels & Demons is An Awesome Adventure.. Critics can never reach to the depth of the entertainment of the story of this movie.
½ February 13, 2017
Very good. I remember reading the book. There is so much detail in the book that can't be in a movie but they stayed really close to it. Well done.
½ February 9, 2017
Just watched for the second time. A lot of cool plot development and twists in this one. At times though they try way too hard to be dramatic and it's obvious. Overall, still worth a viewing. Reminds me of an Italian version of National Treasure with Nick Cage.
February 7, 2017
I enjoyed this one much more than "The Da Vinci Code". It kept my attention despite having an inkling on who the ultimate 'bad guy' was early on.
February 2, 2017
In the movie Angels and demons is the 2nd movie in the "Da Vinci code" series where the main character Robert Langdon is called upon by the church to solve a problem when four of the cardinal priests are kidnapped and a sample of antimatter is stolen from the CERN super collider in Geneva which is being used as a terrorist act to instil fear and to potentially harm people with the destructive nature of antimatter. In the movie "Angels and demons" directed by Ron Howard has many themes of destruction and devastation, faith vs science and secrets revealed though clues to show a story of Professor Langdon's mystery hunt to find the antimatter to save hundreds of lives. The story takes place at one of langdon's lectures on symbols where not everything is actually what they seem to be where he would show a picture of close up 3 pronged pitch fork and ask what people say and most people saw it as a symbol of the devil when it is for the greek god Poseidon and he also showed many other things like this which immediately shows his knowledge and why he would be a very good detective because it shows about his person as a whole in being able to find ideas when only given part of the puzzle thus showing how knowledgeable he is. Throughout this entire movie it talks walls though the eyes of the professor as he sets to solve the 4 puzzles of water earth fire and air in order to save the 4 cardinals from being killed in different monasteries around Vatican City. In this movie professor Langdon shows off his knowledge and his skills to solve clues and puzzles where under harsh conditions from oxygen deprivation drowning getting shot at and handling unstable antimatter.
Langdon and Vittoria make their way to Vatican City, where the Pope has recently died. They are told that the four Preferiti, the cardinals who are most likely to be elected pope, are missing. Langdon and Vittoria search for the preferiti in hopes that they will also find the antimatter canister. Their search is assisted by Camerlengo Carlo Ventresca (the late pope's closest aide) and the Vatican's Swiss Guard. Throughout this movie professor langdon shows his skills and knowledge of solving clues and this movie in my own opinion is very good where it has constant mysteries and constant antagonizing plots that make the riddles harder and harder to solve as langdon get closer to saving a cardinal while risking his life and the life of other around him.

This is a very good movie in my opinion because it has a very good story telling narrative and very good well rounded characters along with a perfect hidden antagonist.

-- Austin Hartman
½ January 17, 2017
This is being unfairly maligned by critics. This is at once more thrilling and more involving than The Da Vinci Code was, and Ron Howard's direction is more surefooted and fast-paced here. Visually gorgeous. By streamlining the novel's narrative, the film loses much (but not all) of the science vs. faith dichotomy that gave the book its weight. As it is, the film version ofAngels and Demons makes for a very entertaining thriller.

Some of the dialogue is poor, you have to suspend disbelief the way you would for a James Bond or Indiana Jones movie, and keep in mind that this is historical fiction (emphasis on fiction). If you can do that, this is a blast. Ewan McGregor rocks. Be warned, it is violent and intense, and pushes that PG-13 boundary. My grade: B+
½ January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 1, 2017
Tom Hanks vai ajudar a desvendar a morte do Papa, porém no fundo foi tudo armado pelo Carmelengo para tomar o poder e assumir a posição do papa!
½ December 18, 2016
Really loved this film - not sure why the ratings are so bad, only reason could be the fact some feel this movie puts the Catholics and the Vatican in a bad light... Everything was fantastic!
jamrcla
December 16, 2016
A very good prequel not as hard to understand and follow than The Da Vinci Code and it's a little bit better aswell, After a slow start I didn't think it was going to be as good as it was, A must watch for lovers of The Da Vinci Code.
December 15, 2016
No one actually enjoy these movies, right?
November 21, 2016
really good movie. love the series.
November 15, 2016
This is the best of the Dan Brown films. And it's still bad. Heavy-handed sacrificial love themes, lame twists, church cover-up motifs, lazy CGI, under-written characters, and little-to-no actual filmic flourish. At least the helicopter explosion is kinda cool.
November 12, 2016
it was ok not the best
November 11, 2016
Angels and Demons is the second Dan Brown movie adaptation by Ron Howard, even though in terms of the novels Da Vinci Code came second. But, since Da Vinci Code was more well-known they decided to adapt that first. In this case it doesn't matter since both stories are standalone entities starring the same character. Like Da Vinci Code, this film was panned by critics and most audiences. I personally thought the Da Vinci Code was alright, saved by its beautiful visuals and great casting. Angels and Demons I actually like a bit more.
Da Vinci Code was just Tom Hanks running from the police trying to find an ancient artifact. Seen it. The first half I found rather lackluster. Angels and Demons however, starts off strong and keeps going. There more going on and the stakes are higher, thus the tension is raised.
Like with Da Vinci Code I have not read the source material so I won't make any comparisons there. In this film an unknown assailant steals a bomb from a top secret facility and plans to blow-up the entire Vatican with said bomb. However, this is no ordinary bomb. The film goes into Sci-Fi territory by making the device an anti-matter bomb.
I don't know if that was in the book or if that's a movie only addition. I honestly don't know why they added this plot element. The anti-matter aspect does not influence the plot in any way. They could have just used a nuclear explosive and the film would be no different.
As with Da Vinci Code, the movie looks gorgeous, as is the music. Tom Hanks returns and is once again on-point. Ian McKellen does not return, but here we have Ewan McGregor as a priest. He does an excellent job as well. I find Ewan McGregor to be a fairly underrated actor.
Overall, Angels and Demons, while not a great film, is still a fun mystery/thriller. I think this is better than Da Vinci Code, and I liked that film okay. The mystery I felt was more engaging as were the puzzles Tom Hanks had to solve to find the answers. Plus, the tension is higher with the threat of the Vatican getting blown off the map.
½ October 29, 2016
thrilling until the over the top self immolation ending, but definitely better than the previous installment & a better storyline & action sequence.
½ October 28, 2016
2eme film de la tetralogie de Dan Brown. Je l'ai trouve moins interessant que le 1er. La poursuite au meurtrier ne m'a guere interesse, les evenements se deroulent les uns apres les autres sans aucune conviction
½ October 26, 2016
It is very rare that a film gets a sequel that is completely detached from its original premise and improves on it. While these films will never be Oscar winners, there is a certain charm to them that I admire. Angels & Demons marked the second novel to film adaption from this book series, and this one is a much more fleshed out story. While there is nothing all that remarkable about either film, a mystery needs to keep you interested and entertained throughout its entire duration. While I do have quite a few of the same complaints that I had the first time around, this is without a doubt the superior film. Here is why Angels & Demons works much better and still holds up to this day, in my opinion.

In the first film, the plot relied on the fact that everyone who is religious will love the clever puzzles. While Angels & Demons definitely dives further into the Catholic religion, directly placing the death of a pope at the centre of the story, it does expand its horizons a bit, making itself a little more accessible to average viewers. Following Robert Langdon once again, he tries to solve the murder of the pope, which also sets him on a plot to find an explosive device that may just incinerate all of Vatican City, Rome. While the plot does escalate fairly quickly and it does require audiences to be paying full attention, this is a much more exciting puzzle, through and through. That being said, as mentioned above, it does share many of the issues that the first one admittedly has.

Once again, this film dives far too deep into the Catholic religion, making it hard for non-believers to have a good time at the movies. Normally, films like this have a nice balance between its religious aspects and its open mindedness. Sadly, this film, like the first, goes all out in terms of trying to impress its Catholic audience; However, compared to the first, it is not quite as manipulative. Instead of beating you over the head with it, it uses bible elements and shares them with character actions throughout this picture, masking the fact that it truly is for a specific audience. This was a much better tactic than I believe the first one slightly failed on.

While The DaVinci Code was known for its puzzles and slow-pacing, this film focusses more on setting up plot twists and keeping its audience entertained. There are far more action sequences here and the puzzles lead to life or death situations. This provided many more stakes, which the first one kind of failed to do as well. Still, the biggest selling point of these films is the fact that Tom Hanks is the leading man. His charm and charisma that he brings to this character is unparalleled. I truly believe that these films would become pretty boring without the presence of a star like Tom Hanks. Does this film hold up as a whole after seven years?

Over the years, films begin to wear off when it comes to sequels. People tend to remember the original, due to the fact that is spawned lacklustre sequels. In my opinion, when I look back on this series of films, I will definitely be remembering Angels & Demons over The DaVinci Code. It provides more puzzles, more stakes, and a climax that is enthralling to say the least. There are moments that I do call manipulative and the direction of this film (like the first) feels a little too kinetic at times, which is Ron Howard's style, but it is odd for these films. There are plot holes galore and I know I have not read these books, but I feel that they would be more fleshed out that these films. In the end, Angels & Demons is a pretty fun and engaging ride, albeit very messy.
October 26, 2016
No DaVinci Code but still worth a look.