Gabriel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gabriel Reviews

April 30, 2016
This had a bit of a sci-fi feel to it.
½ December 15, 2015
Ehh....kinda watchable, I guess.
April 9, 2015
There's been quite a few good films coming out of Australia in recent years, but this is sadly not one of them. I found about GABRIEL by looking at the filmography for the director Shane Abbess, after watching the trailer for his new film INFINI. Since INFINI looked pretty good (from the trailer, at least; it could end up being disappointing), I thought I should give this one a look see. Who knows? Maybe it could be decent? This movie fails on just about every level that matters. What it does get right, or at least makes it a little interesting, is extensive mythology it covers and a cool visual style. Unfortunately, those elements aren't terribly original and have been given better treatment in other films, like PRIEST (which still wasn't good), BLADE RUNNER and DARK CITY. The plot is kind of difficult to sum up, but I'll go ahead and try. Basically, Purgatory is the place where souls go after people die but haven't been judged yet (like in Catholicism). But in the film, there is a battle waged between Light and Dark that takes place in this realm, and currently Dark is winning. There's some rather complicated backstory at the beginning along with some narration, but I'd forgotten most of it in 15-20 minutes. That's how little I cared about what happened onscreen. The worst part about it was how depressingly dull it was. Granted, this is a low-budget film, so I'm not ragging on it for that, but the color palette was too boring. The acting also wasn't great either. Although there was occasionally some moments where it felt emotionally honest/real, most of the time all of the actors talked in this ponderous manner that really didn't work at all. I suppose I should give credit where it's due, so for what it's worth the special effects weren't too bad for a low-budget film. Even the fight choreography and camerawork were pretty decent, although there were far too many closeups (again, probably to hide the budget). Despite the fact that they cribbed the visual aesthetic from a dozen other, better movies, this film doesn't completely discourage me from potentially seeing Shane Abbess' next film. GABRIEL is occasionally inventive, has more plot than it knows what to do with, but ultimately was just too boring to recommend.
January 29, 2015
Unforgivably dull. Full review later.
½ January 3, 2015
Watchable, with great CGI, but not entirely well scripted. Although he's not overwhelmingly good, Andy Whitfield is good enough to make one wonder what might have been had he been given more time on earth.
½ October 10, 2014
Way too long, the movie gets dull very soon, and while there are some action moments throughout, there isn't enough to hang on to the plot for a total two hours. The characters are bleak, the atmosphere is bleak, and the dialog is even more bleak. Forgettable film with a shallow style.
½ July 4, 2014
Among others films of this style, this one may be delivering the right message. Andy Whitfield does a good job, along with the special effects and directing. But it suffers from cheap dialogue, choppy editing and a bloated premise.
June 21, 2014
This is the worst movie EVER. Its time from my life i will never get back and the closest i've come to death without actually dying!
May 30, 2014
simply great, an awesome story about angels and demons, wonderful ending. I loved the story, it is like a Constatine from the side of an Angel..Beautiful
½ April 12, 2014
"Gabriel" is the action-packed story of the Archangel Gabriel who fight for the return of the light to purgatory - a place where darkness rules - and save the souls of the city's inhabitants.

A well-acted and spellbinding action thriller about the supernatural forces struggle against evil. A film in the vein of Underworld and Blade Runner.
March 28, 2014
A murky and muddled effort.
November 26, 2013
low budget film but what people are missing in this film is it isbt a batlle between heaven and hell and they are not on earth but in purgatory. andy whitfield works the script best out of the cast. its enjoyable to see a darkerside of a battle between angels and demons.
½ September 5, 2013
not that great, liked Legion and Priest better
½ August 30, 2013
film d'action angélique assez sombre. Pas d'élément qui ressort.
June 7, 2013
It was pretty good for a low budget flick... the story line and action were good. Andy Whitfield is very yummy!
April 27, 2013
better than the reviews it gets gotta be into good and evil angels though
April 21, 2013
Pretty cool. Has some lofty aspirations and surprisingly, for such a low budget movie, generally meets them. There's a lot of inconsistencies with the whole angels/demons-in-human-form thing though (some selectively return to Heaven or Hell when they're killed while others are not) and that muddles things a whole lot.

I'm just completely baffled as to why the extended ending was cut from the DVD. Sure, remove the bit that makes Gabriel's actions at the climax make any sense. Go team. You sure earned that bonus /end sarcasm
April 21, 2013
It was moving to see Gabriel willingly healed the wounds of his fellow arc angel even though that would diminish his strength to combat arc angel Michael. It was also moving to see the mortally wounded arc angel Michael heal his combatant Gabriel in the end.
April 15, 2013
A cool dark fantasy film. Gabriel is now one of my favorite fantasy films.
March 24, 2013
I always expect these sorts of films to be disappointing so I guess I should never wonder about just how disappointing they turn out to be.