Radiant City - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Radiant City Reviews

July 3, 2012
Why do they call this a documentary? It is made to look like a documentary but the people involved are all actors? Oops was that a spoiler? Serves you right Brown and Burns!
½ June 29, 2012
Honestly, since the acting was SO obviously scripted, it made it too painful to watch.
April 8, 2011
Okay, so I may have been the stupid one who forgot that the movie was fictional (the family, not the talking heads) but because I did, I bought right into it! Thus the unveiling at the end was huge and shocking for me. But then when I learned the truth, I didn't care what more anyone had to say; they were just talking heads.

Otherwise, it looks great, is very well acted for amateurs and had a cool soundtrack (that I sadly had blaring)! It was really, REALLY informative too! I liked it a lot! Very smart!
½ September 30, 2010
Taking an actual drive through these type of neighborhoods makes me wonder why would people waste $$$ to live in such big houses & why would you want to live that close to your neighbors??? A great film that makes you feel sorry for the people who actually have to live in the burbs.Who knew they had it so rough? Feel sorry for the trees that had to be cut down or the land that had to be bulldozed so rich people could have a place to live or the poor people who were pushed out a neighborhood so people with $$$ could move in, take over & jack up the prices
December 11, 2009
It's an interesting way of making a "documentary." I'm not sure that it's wholly successful, though I get why they did it. However, since I totally sympathize with their argument, I'm willing to overlook the issue.
October 29, 2009
A Terrific "Documentary" About Suburban Life. Balances A Narrative With Interviews With Experts.
September 23, 2009
tract home suburbs do suck. But making a fake documentary with people who already live in suburbs pretending to be someone else? Why? Nonsensical
½ July 21, 2009
First off, I know this is a documentary, and to say this is already damaging in and of itself, so it you have an interest in seeing this documentary dissecting suburban sprawl ? READ NO FURTHER.

For those that don?t mind, SPOILERS FOLLOW: I have to say that I was watching this movie, racking my brain about how staged it all seemed, and then it was revealed that the family in the movie is in fact amateur actors taken from this Canadian suburb. Admittedly, they say that had to be basic suburbanites to be in it to express the material, but it was very distracting. How can these two parents had a strawberry blonde daughter, dirty blonde daughter and redhead son? How the heck did they find someone in a play about suburbia. A musical!? Maybe that?s who the movie started, they heard about the play. And why are people travelling so far for friends that are supposed to be in the same school. Well, they?re not bad actors for that. And the situations are real enough.

When you put all that aside and take the facts that are given in the movie and the fresh way of presenting it make this an OK documentary. But you gotta love the Boards of Canada - not just the music group.
½ May 30, 2009
This was pretty good.
May 13, 2009
New favorite movie.

Of all the dystopian views of the future shown in films, none had my upper lip curled quite as hard as this. This nightmare - an isolationist society dependent solely on the car and identical tract houses - goes a bit further than Welles or Kafka managed to dream up.

See this movie. Ask if what you're doing makes any sense.
February 17, 2009
Another good reason to hate Calgary (and capitalism, which is almost the same thing).
February 8, 2009
Weird being done with actors, still interesting points thoroughout.
November 30, 2008
Don't like the ending? you're stupid...dead stupid
½ October 26, 2008
worth watching but ultimately the interviews with the professionals is where this movie excels, not in its fictional part.
½ October 18, 2008
An eye-opening and slightly depressing look at where our culture is and where it may be going.
½ October 9, 2008
A little ho-hum at times--strange to have fake documentary.
August 25, 2008
Quite entertaining docu about suburbia in America...until..."the twist" which kinda cheated my feelings and made my question the docu's intentions and truthfulness.
August 16, 2008
"80% of everything ever built in North America has been built in the last 50 years. And most of it is brutal, depressing, ugly, unhealthy, and spiritually degrading."

"Suburbia is really kind of a monofunctional environment where people sleep and then they have to travel to work. You can literally get into your suv in your garage, travel all the way through the city in these new highways that join suburban communities with a center where people work, enter the garage of the office tower where you work, come up in a mechanical elevator and enter into your own office cubicle without ever coming face to face with one other individual. So a city that propagates a suburban model is a city that in some ways propagates pure private space as opposed to any notion of public space. And when you have a city and you only advocate private space, you get to the point where people cannot tolerate one another because we don't understand each other's views. We no longer have a perspective on what other people think, we only have an investment in the way we think. And so in some ways a suburban city can be understood as an intolerant city."
½ July 17, 2008
A good satirical look at the way we as communities are isolating ourselves little by little, mainly in the modern suburb. Interesting documentary, worth a watch.
June 28, 2008