Happy-Go-Lucky - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Happy-Go-Lucky Reviews

½ July 16, 2016
A refreshing film that will leave you smiling, with a cheerful character that may at first be mistaken for simple-minded in her constant optimism but later on proves to be much more complex in the way she sees things - which Sally Hawkins does a wonderful job in showing.
May 30, 2016
A surprising and character study of someone that most would call
"scatterbrained" or "ditsy" but who medical professionals now refer to
as "ADHD", this movie materializes a real woman and brings to light
some of the strengths *and* the weaknesses of having such an unusual
½ May 12, 2016
"Happy-Go-Lucky" is often funny and lead by a shimmering performance from Sally Hawkins.
April 29, 2016
"Happy-Go-Lucky" is another one of those meandering, long-winded character studies. In this film, we find ourselves thirty years into a chirpy, overbearingly-optimistic school teacher named Poppy's life. We watch Poppy find herself in some strange situations, but she always remain high-spirited no matter how sketchy things get. The problem is, however, I found myself immune Poppy's enthusiasm because I also found her to be pretty arrogant, sarcastic, and, sometimes, annoying. Ultimately, I enjoyed my time in her world, but this movie doesn't say much, if anything at all. Also, I simply don't think you can compare this film or it's protagonist to "Amélie."
½ April 16, 2016
I almost watched this years ago and ran into again so I figured why not. Poppy is extremely annoyingly happy and spazzy. Which is the point mostly as the story progresses and her happy attitude is tested more and more. Sally Hawkins is very good at being this character and the supporting cast is well acted also.
February 20, 2016
Funny, heart warming and clever. Mike Leigh executes this story and characters perfectly with great sensitivity
½ January 27, 2016
I hate to bash a movie with good intentions, but I have to be honest. Not only does it go on for longer than it needs to, but it doesn't even feel like a movie. It feels like a filmed series of events.
December 5, 2015
I usually like movies like this - by this I mean complex dramas that have been shown at filmfestivals and have been praised by a lot of film critics - but no I didn't enjoy it at all. I couldn't stand the character of Poppy, her laugh just destroyed the whole movie. The reason why I'm naming Poppy, and not Sally Hawkins, is because I don't think it's the actress' acting's fault. I think the character is supposed to be this eccentric and annoying and it has nothing to do with bad acting. It has to do with if you can put this aside and enjoy the movie anyway or if it will haunt you and destroy the whole film for you. For me, it was unfortunately the latter. I enjoyed the love story in the movie, sadly it was only for about ten minutes. The remaining one hour and forty-nine minutes weren't really worth my time. I even had to watch it in two rounds.
November 2, 2015
One of these movies that kind of offer nothing. Or maybe, to be more exact, a bundle of clichés with no depth, not scratching even a bit below the surface. This is not a lesson about optimism or a guide for your life in any way. The central character of the movie is no apocalypse for anyone. She is just an optimist but heavily depressed if you ask me, with lots and lots of issues to resolve.

This cheerful lady, borderline stupid actually, that goes through some quite ordinary stuff in her life, if you take out one of the incidents, in which she was kind of to blame as well. A group of girlfriends that are also really boring, leading a wasted lifestyle at night and teaching kids during the day. Nice!

Some fragments of life lessons but such that are really obvious and for the simple-minded. In general, a movie with little to show, saved (if at all) by some glimpses of acting from some of the cast members.

If you still watch it, you will find yourself constantly waiting for something to break the boredom and give some meaning. You will wonder why you're still watching it and haven't turned it off yet, and once it's over, you will be left with a feeling of lost time and maybe with some less IQ points, but for sure a couple of hours wasted...!
½ October 26, 2015
Just a good all around little movie....well acted,written and directed.Cheerfully quirky touch of life story.
½ October 22, 2015
Beautiful, moving, funny, quirky movie.

Days in the life of a school teacher, Poppy (played by Sally Hawkins), who is perpetually optimistic and happy. However, things are about to test her unshakable cheerfulness...

Great movie. Funny, but with many good dramatic qualities too. Tackles a range of social issues, including racism, 30-something singleness, paranoia, friendship, relationships and school bullying, with a warmth and objectivity that is remarkable.

Very subtle, and takes a while to build the scene and introduce the issues, so requires some patience. I wasn't sold on it after 20 minutes, but was well rewarded in the end.

Great performance by Sally Hawkins in the lead role. Great direction by Mike Leigh.
September 2, 2015
Quirky, odd, bizzare a bit like me
½ July 19, 2015
I am so curious about this one.
June 4, 2015
Sally Hawkins: Phenomenal.
½ May 24, 2015
0 stars. This was the first time I gave a movie zero stars on Flixster...and it's not because I'm a cranky old bastard who hates happy movies. The blind optimism in Poppy goes nowhere. Nothing truly terrible happens to her; she doesn't really do anything with her optimism as, say, Amelie does. I thought I would at least enjoy Sally Hawkins' performance, but she doesn't seem happy-go-lucky. She seems drunk, and drunk people are only funny when you are drunk too. Her incessant self-deprecating chuckle-eye roll-head bob grated on my nerves. My soul actually feels deader after seeing this movie.
May 3, 2015
Great feel good film.
April 15, 2015
e?lencelik ingiliz filmi, pek begenmedim..
April 11, 2015
Sally Hawkins gave the single best performance in this 2008 film by Mike Leigh. And, Eddie Marsan gave the single best supporting performance. The fact that their work was virtually ignored by American audiences is sad. On the one hand this film is a very detailed and amusing character study of a single woman. On the other hand it is a suspensful study of woman who unintentionally goes too far on the edge of trust. Surprising and completely unexpectedly masterful work of contemporary cinematic art.
January 18, 2015
Destacable la actuaciòn de Sally Hawkins que logra no caer mal para el tipo de personaje que representa.
January 2, 2015
Poppy is sweet, charming, and a pleasure to watch. She sure can make me happy all right.